New School Fundraiser: Cash for Grades

A middle school in North Carolina is selling test scores to students in a bid to raise money.

20 dollar bill on a exam book

After their chocolate sales tanked last year, a parent advisory board at Rosewood Middle School in Goldsboro, North Carolina, started thinking outside the box. How could they raise big bucks for the school?

They came up with an unconventional plan: Selling test scores to students. For $20, students can buy 20 test points, and can then add 10 extra points to two tests of their choice.

Principal Susie Shepherd says it's not enough of an impact to change a student's overall grades, but some parents think it sends the wrong message.

What do you think about this fundraiser?

next: John Travolta and Daughter Appear on 'Ellen'
Donna November 11, 2009, 2:33 PM

It definitely sends the wrong message, $ can buy success? Sad.

Anonymous November 11, 2009, 3:00 PM

That’s a terrible idea. Maybe if kids were paying for privileges like extra computer time or something. But grades - never.

Robyn November 11, 2009, 4:23 PM

So now you don’t have to study for good grades, mom and dad can just write a check? Throw away your work ethic and just buy your diploma. I can’t believe this idea would make it out of a planning session, much less be put into practice! The rich get richer, and the poor just get poorer grades. Disgraceful.

Casey November 11, 2009, 4:45 PM

Just what this country needs, more dumb rich lazy parents with dumb rich lazy kids. I hope all the students have family businesses. No one is going to hire these losers. Pathetic.

Anonymous November 11, 2009, 5:01 PM

As a teacher I find this practice appalling. I’m already disgusted with some of my own kids’ teachers when they give an extra “A” if the child brings in a box of tissues or a bag of candy for an activity. What happened to grades being about academics?

nguyen November 12, 2009, 10:25 AM

Yes, this is definitely a bad idea. The only time money should exchange hands is when the students EARN it by MAKING the grade.

Melanie November 12, 2009, 1:37 PM

This may send the wrong message but I know my parents would have given me $20!