Oops, I Peed My Pants!

No, this annoying experience is not just for your little kids. Along with my bun in the oven, I have developed a little leak. What am I, a Buick?!

Oops, I Pee'd My Pants!

Angela Chee: It's hard to admit, but yes, I did. Not just once, but many times, and it's starting to get on my last nerve. I had a cough that just wouldn't go away. First, my son got a cold, then a week later I got a cold, and then he got sick again. Taking care of a sick toddler when you are sick is no fun, and then being seven months pregnant -- every time I would cough, I would leak. Yuck!

I'd be freshly showered, dressed, and ready to go ... then cough! Ughh!!! My husband was somewhat sympathetic, sometimes he'd laugh and say, "I'm sorry, honey." Ah, he will never know. Also, being pregnant, I didn't want to take too much medication -- so I just dealt with it for weeks.

I know, I know, Kegel exercises. I do them periodically, but that didn't help much. It's not like I had a constant leaking bladder, but when I coughed, nothing could keep it in. I could feel the cough coming on, the itch in my throat; when I was out, I tried to hold it in, but when the attack came on, there was no control. I crossed my legs and hoped for the best. I didn't mind my cold so much as the fact I needed extra pairs of underwear all the time. I started wearing pads, which I haven't worn in forever.

While it doesn't happen to everyone, I know it's a normal part of pregnancy -- and yes, I'm willing to talk about it. So if it's happened to you ... know you're not alone.

So now, I'm all done with my cold. No more pee in my pants. What a pain in the butt that was. Now I just have a pain in my butt, literally. Sciatica on my left side. Ah, pregnancy!

next: 11-Year-Old Boy Kills Bear That Wouldn't Leave Family's Front Porch
Robin November 16, 2009, 6:46 AM

I feel your pain. I always sneeze when I get in bright light so going outside with sun glare off of snow for third trimesters of both of my pregnancies had the potential to be disasterous.

Kerenza November 16, 2009, 7:36 AM

ladies have you not heard of Incostress? A great product to control those sneezing leaks and also helps keep those pevlic floor muscles in shape.

Karen Bannan November 16, 2009, 12:07 PM

I had the same problem! I got the flu twice, and with the cough I had I wasn’t just leaking, I was gushing. My husband had to go out and buy me Depends pads. I cried and cried. But once I wasn’t sick, it went back to a drip or two, and once I wasn’t pregnant, the leaking stopped completely.

I feel for you, but it will go away.

massageamom November 17, 2009, 9:15 AM

This is a common condition 75% of women will wind up with some form of incontinence down the line mostly due to childbirth, poor posture, lack of exercise. Kegels work only if you are doing them correctly, problem is you don’t know if you are doing them right or not? Please read my article on massageamom.com The New Vagina Monologue, i believe this is information we need to know!

Karen Bannan November 17, 2009, 9:43 AM

Thanks for the inspiration! I wrote a blog post with some of the most common treatments for incontinence. I also linked to this post!

NaturalasPossibleMom.com