Over 2 Million Cribs Recalled, Can Kill Infants

The Consumer Product Safety Commission has recalled over 2 million cribs after children have died from getting caught in the side.

2 Million cribs recalled

This voluntary recall in the U.S. and Canada involves Stork Craft drop-side cribs and Stork Craft drop-side cribs with the Fisher-Price logo. The recall is solely for these cribs, and not for those without a drop-side, or those with metal rod drop-side hardware. It involves only cribs with plastic triggers and one-hand-system drop-side hardware.

The CPSC says parents should immediately stop using the recalled cribs and order the free repair kit offered by Stork Craft that converts the drop-side to a fixed side.

According to the Feds, the cribs' drop-side plastic hardware can break or be installed improperly, resulting in broken parts. Because of this, the drop-side can detach, creating a space between the drop-side and the crib mattress where infants and toddlers can become entrapped and suffocate. The drop-side can also completely come apart, causing children to fall from the crib.

Over 100 children have been injured while in these cribs, and four have died. Twenty infants have fallen out of these cribs, and have suffered from injuries that ranged from a concussion to bumps and bruises. The CPSC says the cribs involved in these incidents had plastic drop-side hardware that had broken or was missing, or drop-sides that were installed upside-down.

According to the CPSC's press release, the recall includes Stork Craft cribs with manufacturing and distribution dates between January 1993 and October 2009, and also includes Stork Craft cribs with the Fisher-Price logo that have manufacturing dates between October 1997 and December 2004. The Stork Craft cribs with the Fisher-Price logo were first sold in the U.S. in July 1998 and in Canada in September 1998. The firm's insignia, "storkcraft baby" or "storkling," is inscribed on the drop-side teething rail of some cribs. In Stork Craft cribs that contain the Fisher-Price logo, this logo can be found on the crib's teething rail, in the manufacturer's instructions, on the assembly instruction sheet attached to the mattress support board, and on the end panels of the Twinkle-Twinkle and Crystal crib models.

The cribs were sold at most major retailers, including BJ's Wholesale Club, J.C. Penney, Kmart, Meijer, Sears, USA Baby, and Wal-Mart. They were also sold online at Amazon.com, Babiesrus.com, Costco.com, Target.com, and Walmart.com from January 1993 through October 2009 for between $100 and $400.

For additional information, contact Stork Craft toll-free at (877) 274-0277 anytime to order the free repair kit, or log on to www.storkcraft.com.

As for common sense advice, the CPSC reminds parents not to use any crib with missing, broken, or loose parts. Make sure to tighten hardware from time to time to keep the crib sturdy. When using a drop-side crib, parents should check to make sure the drop-side or any other moving part operates smoothly. Always check all sides and corners of the crib for disengagement. Any disengagement can create a gap and entrap a child. In addition, do not try to repair any side of the crib, especially with tape, wire, or rope.

10 Dangerous Recalled Children's Products

Simplicity Bassinets

The flap on the front of Simplicity Bassinets (including Graco or Winnie the Pooh motif) can come loose, allowing an infant to slip out and get trapped and suffocate. Blamed in at least three deaths. Recalled in 2008.

Magnetix Magnetic Building Sets

Tiny magnets in the Magnetix Magnetic Building Sets can come loose and be swallowed. When more than one is swallowed, the magnets attract each other and can cause serious intestinal problems. Blamed for one death and 27 serious injuries. Recalled in 2006 and 2007.

Easy-Bake Ovens

Children can reach their hands into the front of Easy-Bake Ovens, where they can become entrapped and burned. Hundreds of incidents were reported, including 77 children suffering burns. Recalled in 2007.

Polly Pocket Dolls

Polly Pocket Dolls with Magnets contain magnets that can come loose and be swallowed. Blamed for three serious injuries. Recalled in 2007.

Simplicity Drop-Side Cribs

Simplicity Drop-Side Cribs have a drop side that can detach, creating a gap that can entrap an infant. Blamed in at least 10 deaths. Recalled in 2007, 2008, and 2009.

Hill Sportswear

Hill Sportswear hooded drawstring sweatshirts have drawstrings in the hood that can cause strangulation. Blamed in one death. Recalled in 2009.

Evenflo Envision High Chairs

Fasteners that hold Evenflo Envision High Chairs together can come loose, causing the seat to detach or recline unexpectedly. Blamed for more than 50 injuries in over 320 incidents. Recalled in 2009.

Baby Trend Home and Roam

Baby Trend Home and Roam and Baby Express Portable Cribs and Play Yards can collapse and entrap an infant. Blamed in one death. Recalled in 1995, and again in 2001 and 2003.

Playskool Travel-Lite Play Yards

Playskool Travel-Lite Play Yards can collapse and entrap an infant. Blamed for three deaths. Recalled in 1993.

Evenflo Happy Camper Play Yards

Evenflo Happy Camper Play Yards can collapse and entrap an infant. Blamed in three deaths. Recalled in 1997.

next: Thanksgiving: The Ultimate Money-Saving Meal
Monica November 24, 2009, 10:34 AM

My parents had one of these cribs so that when we came to visit my son would have somewhere to sleep. We couldn’t figure out how he was getting out of the crib. Eventually he showed us. If he wasn’t just putting his weight on the top of the drop down side and climbing over he used that broken claw the squeeze thru and get out. He was two then and his crib was in the den area of my parents house so we are thankful that he never got himself caught. We took the crib down once we found out he knew how to escape but now that we know about the recall we will make sure to get rid of it and not use it for my brother son.

Nell November 24, 2009, 11:34 AM

I am really pissed about how they are handling this recall! A free repair kit??? Seriously??? So, I am supposed to go through the trouble of fixing a mistake that was YOUR fault, and trust my building abilities that I FIXED IT CORRECTLY. How is that supposed to make me feel secure? I actually own this exact crib and my child is less than 2 years old. You also expect me to find a “safe temporary alternative sleeping place” for my child without a fight or temper tantrum from the child? Come on! Why not just give us a refund or gift card credit? This is just inconveniencing the parents even more (and yes, I’m throwing a tantrum).

PlumbLucky November 25, 2009, 5:35 AM

At least there’s a fix kit available - the (similar) Simplicity drop side crib recall is even worse, as they’re out of business and at the mercy of whereever you bought the thing.

Our “fix kit” involves 4” sheetmetal screws. Doesn’t drop anymore. No problems.

Angela January 11, 2010, 11:12 PM

I don’t know how my cat gets into the ceiling. My IKEA is missing a screw. I have to assemble my IKEA furniture. My kid got a sliver on his hockey stick. Common sense is babies are fragile at a young age. Everything will hurt your kid if unwatched. I do not believe people make cribs to attack kids. Stuff happens. If they want a consumer act to create more barriers, have it just for babies because I am not a baby.

IP network camera September 19, 2010, 10:28 PM

woot, thank you! I’ve finally came across a website where the owner knows what they’re talking about. You know how many results are in Google when I check.. too many! It’s so annoying having to go from page after page after page, wasting my day away with tons of owners just copying eachother’s articles… ugh. Anyway, thankyou for the information anyway, much appreciated.

創業 September 22, 2010, 7:48 AM

Beneficial Blog! I had been simply just debating that there are plenty of screwy results at this issue you now purely replaced my personal belief. Thank you an excellent write-up.

Lanie Haynie November 16, 2010, 5:29 AM

I keep receiving a javascript error popup when I try posting a comment. Does this occur for anyone else? I do not exactly have the most up to date computer so maybe that is the problem.

buy diazepam December 1, 2010, 4:02 PM

great post! i’m bookmarking this!

Party Rentals In Miami Fl December 11, 2010, 7:06 AM

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them.

Gel Nail Kits For Sale Ireland December 15, 2010, 1:06 AM

If at first you don’t succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.

Thomas Giles December 29, 2010, 8:46 AM

You are a very clever person!

Ten Tees January 8, 2011, 4:43 PM

Good info! Nice and fun reading. There’s a single point to make about t-shirts.

HostNine Discount January 10, 2011, 12:01 PM

This is excellent! How did you learn this stuff?

Belgrade Hostel January 13, 2011, 10:21 AM

When I found this was like wow. Thank you for putting your effort in publishing this tutorial.

Jailbreak iPhone 4 January 14, 2011, 4:58 AM

This is excellent! Where do you find this stuff?

ip cameras January 21, 2011, 12:40 PM

royal mail prices 2011 franking January 22, 2011, 1:03 AM

It is difficult to make a man miserable while he feels worthy of himself and claims kindred to the great God who made him.

Jeremy Xia January 25, 2011, 10:01 PM

Some genuinely excellent content on this website,thankyou for contribution.

gry dla dorosłych January 26, 2011, 4:34 AM

Thx you for it! Greetings from Europe :)

poczta kwiatowa January 27, 2011, 2:09 AM

Greeting from Germany :) I like your website, very much.