Pick a Gender, Any Gender

Are pregnant women being honest when they say they could care less if they have a boy or a girl?

gender.jpg

Momlogic's Momstrosity: I was at my amnio and the technician was showing me the needle he was about to plunge into my belly to determine if my over-40 bod was harboring a genetic abnormality. I started to cry. "Don't worry," he said encouragingly, "it's not going to hurt that much." But that's not why I was weeping. It was because the sonogram that accompanied this office visit revealed I was having a girl. I was devastated. I wanted a boy sooooo badly.

A recent poll says that almost 70 percent of women could care less if they had a boy or a girl. That seems mighty high to me ... and not entirely honest. To say you don't have a preference seems unrealistic -- how can you imagine yourself with a baby if you're not going to, in your head, picture a specific sex?

Did YOU have a gender preference when you were expecting?

next: Be Sure to Celebrate Good Times
Sarah B November 18, 2009, 5:48 AM

I think those 70% are just more worried they have a happy, healthy baby, with no abnormalities. Most people would rather their child not be ill than really care about what color booties to buy.

Angela November 18, 2009, 6:49 AM

I admit to hoping my son would be a girl and being disappointed after my sonogram. We plan on having one more and I have to admit if it was another boy I would have some initial disappointment then too.

I’m beyond thrilled that I have my son and know I would be able to love another little boy just as much. But I also have always wanted to have a daughter and since we only plan on having 2 children I would grieve a little bit at missing my chance. Then I would thank my lucky stars that they are healthy and happy and move on, but I know at first I would feel a little sad.

Sara November 18, 2009, 7:03 AM

With my first I wanted a girl because I was going to be a single mom and figured I knew a heck of a lot more about girls. We couldn’t tell from ultrasounds what he was but he was born a boy and I certainly wasn’t disappointed… just hoping I could do well teaching a boy boy stuff. Shortly after I met my now husband and when we were married and expecting I wanted a boy… everyone assumed I’d want a girl since I already had a boy but I guess by then I was used to boy stuff and was comfortable with that. She turned out to be a girl. So neither time did I get what I expected but both are absolutely perfect and I CANNOT imagine our family and different!!! :) Neither time was I UPSET that the baby was a different gender, it was more surprise because I was so sure the first was a girl and the second was a boy… turns out I was wrong both times! :)

Allison November 18, 2009, 9:41 AM

I am a mom that is more worried about having healthy child, however that doesn’t mean I wasn’t disappointed a tad when my first sonogram showed a girl and not a boy. With my youngest I did want another girl and was blessed with just that. Now if we have a 3rd I would love to have a boy and am not sure how disappointed I would be with another girl. Would I get over it of course!

Chrissy November 18, 2009, 7:39 PM

That 70% seems right.
With so many couples having difficulties getting pregnant, and all of us aware of these difficulties, coupling with the scare stories of what is harmful to a pregnant women, fish (not all), nail polish (not really), caffiene, vitamins, palstic shower curtains etc women are just relief to have a non complicated pregancy producing a healthy baby.
Maybe for the second pregnancies they have a gender preference.

Lowercholesterol September 28, 2010, 12:35 AM

great article mate but how to get your rss feed? How about sending us an e-mail with instructions pls? Thanks

choroby skóry March 20, 2011, 5:19 PM

very interesting site, I invite you to her. pzd