Screw You, Cyber Monday!

I logged on to score some great deals ... but all I got was some major disappointment.

frustrated woman using her laptop

Momlogic's Julie: I got up bright and early this morning to get a price break on some holiday gifts. It was "Cyber Monday," and I planned to get in on the specials.

My first stop? Build a Bear for some $5 bears.

After it taking an eternity to load the bears into my basket, I found myself unable to check out.

Here is the error I received:

An error has occurred.
Sorry. An error occurred on the page you requested.

<< Go back to try again.

Of course, when I went back to try again, I was told the "Den was under maintenance" (bear joke, I guess) and I should try again later.

Strike One.

Now I was off to American Girl to nab some half-price doll accessories.

After clicking on their Cyber Monday landing page, I got the following message:

Thank you for visiting americangirl.com.

To improve your online experience, we're updating our site. This requires the web site to be temporarily unavailable. We apologize for the inconvenience. Check back soon to enjoy the changes we've made.

If you were visiting to place an order, you still can. Simply call American Girl toll-free at 1-800-360-1861 between 6:00 a.m. and 12:00 midnight Central Time.

When I called the 1-800 number, it was busy ... after the fifth time, I gave up.

So far, Cyber Monday has been a major bust for me. How about you?

next: That's Why We Have Two Ears and One Mouth
chris November 30, 2009, 11:14 AM

I agree…all week my son has been downloading pictures of jeans, hats and other misc. things he wants and I keep telling him to wait till today to order because there should be some good deals. Well guess what, the jeans he wanted went from $68 to $64. Some great deal! and the other items didn’t even go on sell.

Micah B November 30, 2009, 1:11 PM

I am having the same difficulties with the sites mentioned above. Especially with build a bear. You think the companies would make the necessary upgrades and changes for increased web traffic on the biggest online shopping day of the year. Just my two cents…

Traci Titus November 30, 2009, 2:56 PM

I agree, I went to work this morning, found my inbox skyhigh and anxiously waited for my lunch break. List on hand, I found every website I went to either had marked my targeted items on sale at a higher price than I found them earlier, or worse, after 20 minutes of cyber-shopping I could not check out on two major websites! Totally wasted my lunch break. I will not bother next year, as Cyber Monday is a marketing ploy.

Chico December 1, 2009, 3:06 AM

I agree the web site’s that I went to I could not get what I wanted. They only displayed the junk. The idems that I saw on Black Friday were not on the link on monday and when I tried to purchase an idem it gave me erros.

PlumbLucky December 1, 2009, 4:53 AM

I’m sure once upon a time some dingbat decided to hold inventory on BF too. CM is a pretty new phenomenon…I didn’t attempt either of the mentioned sites. Did okay, wasn’t looking for huge deals because inevitably the “doorbuster deals” aren’t what I’m looking for anyhow, making them a waste of money, not a steal!

Anonymous December 1, 2009, 6:16 AM

i got the “sorry, our website is experiencing higher traffic volume than usual” message…NO S%@T