Child Abduction on Sesame Street?

In the first episode of "Sesame Street," things got a bit creeeeepy.

Momlogic's Momstrosity
: "Sesame Street" was and still is my favorite show of all time. That's why I had no compunction about sharing it with my daughter, and as soon as she was able to truly appreciate it, I bought the classic "Sesame Street" DVDs, "Old School." The bizarre, counterintuitive disclaimer that appears at the top of each episode did not deter me:

"These early Sesame Street episodes are intended for grown-ups, and may not meet the needs of today's preschool child."

Mostly I don't get it. Yes, in the footage of New York, kids are riding around on bikes without helmets. It's true the Cookie Monster devours cookies like a furry bulimic with no thought to the nutritional value of vegetables. My kid doesn't care. She enjoys Don Music, the Frog, and all the trippy psychedelic  animation. I can't find much that I think isn't appropriate for children in these retro episodes. Except the opening of the very first show that aired November 10, 1969 -- that part gave me the willies.

In the clip, Gordon shows a little girl named Sally around Sesame Street. How they met is unclear. The only thing clear is that they JUST met. He proceeds to introduce the little girl to his wife, Susan. Guess Sally hadn't heard of "Stranger Danger." Later, Sally accompanies Gordon home for milk and cookies, where her host proceeds to inappropriately fondle her shoulders. Yikes, are THESE the people in your neighborhood?

I realize the 60s were more innocent times ... but was it ever a good idea for a little girl to follow a strange man home?

Musicalmom November 9, 2009, 8:14 AM

Quit over-reacting and reading into things! You people spend too much time sounding the alarm bells over NOTHING! This goes on all the time on Sesame Street, has been for years. Even the kids know Sesame Street is a special neighborhood where everyone knows everyone else. So why don’t you just go back to watching Disney frame-by-frame for inappropriate content and leave Sesame Street alone!

Christina November 9, 2009, 9:30 AM

If that man had removed her from a potentially dangerous situation and could not locate her parents? You bet! I mean COME ON, he took the girl home to his WIFE!!! This post reminds me of the oddest and saddest experience I’ve had as a parent to date. I was in a public park with my boys when a woman asked my permission to say hello to them. What?!? Just say “hello” already. It’s not like I’m worried you’re going to snatch them away from me when I’m standing right next to them holding their hands! How are kids supposed to get help when and if they need it if all we teach them is that every grown-up who isn’t their parent is evil?

Anonymous November 9, 2009, 9:39 AM

yes maybe it’s a safe situation but don’t you think the parents would be looking for the kid??

Lisa November 9, 2009, 10:00 AM

I’m 40, and I grew up watching Sesame Street. I can’t recall anything from those early episodes that damaged me in any way. At least that’s what Mr. Snuffleupagus tells me.

Rachelle November 10, 2009, 7:17 AM

Why are you guys making up scenerios about how he met this little girl? How do you know she was coming from an “unsafe” place? Maybe, I suppose. If they had written into the story line!!! The truth is, depening on who you are and your own twisted thinking, it could mean ANYTHING! Obviously the girl was on Sesame Street where things are ideal, and fun, and everyone is very caring all the time. Also it was the pilot episode. They had to introduce all the special things to everyone SOMEHOW. As far as the girl goes, I prefer to think that a friend of the family, or one of the neighbors brought the girl over and asked Gordon to watch her while they ran some errands. Now THAT sounds like Sesame Street.

Nicole E. November 13, 2009, 8:48 AM

Totally blown out of proportion! I watched Sesame St. my entire life and never learned anything inappropriate from it nor did anything affect me growing up as a child into my adult years. I always knew not to talk to strangers..etc. And that was in the 70’s. If anything …it taught me a lot of things growing up but the worng message was never delivered to me… not even cookie monnster eating too many cookies.. how ridiculous!

Anonymous November 25, 2009, 2:31 PM

What about the creepy scenes of Bert and Ernie bathing together?