'This Is It' -- My Date with Two MJs

I learned some life lessons from the King of Pop while on a date with my husband.

this is it movie poster michael jackson

Lenore Moritz: There are two camps when it comes to Michael Jackson: the camp that loves Michael Jackson and sees his true genius, and the camp of all the others (why so bitter, others?). I think you can see where I fall and, mercifully, my husband is in my camp.

It's worth noting that both my husband and Michael Jackson have the initials MJ, and they are both great dancers. I'm pretty sure that the fact that my husband shares the King of Pop's initials didn't have anything to do with my attraction to him, but you can never be too sure how the subconscious mind works ...

MJ the husband and I came of age in the '80s (the heyday of MJ the pop star), and we couldn't wait to see "This Is It" (for those in the other camp, "This Is It" is the film made of MJ's concert rehearsal footage from last spring). We needed to see this film on the big screen as soon as we could ... nostalgia is a strong motivator. A "day date" was in order -- we would blow off work and immerse ourselves in a couple of hours of music we love and compelling behind-the-scenes footage with one of the greatest entertainers ever.

We dropped our boys off at preschool a few minutes early to ensure that we would score tickets and great seats for the 9:30 AM showing of "This Is It" -- we couldn't let all those other early birds beat us to it. Much to our surprise, there was no line. Was everyone inside, and had they taken all the seats already? Surprise again! There were only five people in the theater. No matter -- the 9:30 AM showing is only for the truest fans, and we were there!

With the exception of a little chair dancing, we sat on the edge of our seats, compelled by what we saw on the screen. It was the next best thing to seeing the concert live -- it was totally incredible. Also sad -- hard to believe that this supernatural talent would never again moonwalk across a stage or offer a high-pitched "hee hee" to an eager crowd.

I expected to be entertained and enthralled by the film. I expected to have a great time sitting next to my husband MJ during our day date. What I didn't expect was to leave "This Is It" having learned something about life from the MJ on the screen:

Patience:
This is so not my virtue, but it seems to be Michael Jackson's ... you see him in the film being polite when he could have lost it or been demanding.

Experience Matters:
Although others around him were younger and might have had more energy, MJ was the master and his presence was unlike anyone else's on the stage.

Humility Is a Strength and Earns Respect:
I love how he tells the dancers and musicians that they are all one big family -- by doing so, he levels the playing field and you can see how they all adore him even more at that moment.

Have a Signature Style and Stick to It:
Military jackets, skinny pants and blazers, fedoras and, of course, one glove -- those things say Michael Jackson. Can striped thermal pajamas count as my signature style?

There was, for one night, even a third MJ in my life -- when my son was Michael Jackson (from the "Black or White" video) for Halloween. Three MJs ... now that is Off the Wall.

next: Kid Kicked out of Class for NFL Haircut
Torie November 19, 2009, 6:10 AM

Do you have PROOF he touched little boys???? If you don’t then shut the F up.

Hope November 19, 2009, 6:26 AM

I fell in love with MJ during the off the wall days. When thriller came out I was still a fan but I was going through some serious adolescent problems and just could not really focus on MJ. As I got older, I couldn’t get away from the problems leaving no time to focus on MJ or any star for that matter. When MJ died it was unbelievable. He’s been around my whole life; I thought we would have him till he was old and gray. I went through you tube & anywhere on the that I could find any information about him. I sat up for hours watching old interviews, music video & just clips of his personal videos & got to know the real MJ. He was so beautiful, he had the absolute biggest heart. His only fault was being naive. I’VE BEEN SEVERELY DEPRESSED SINCE HE DIED TO THINK OF THIS REALLY MESSED UP WORLD WE LIVE IN THAT GOD WOULD TAKE THE GOOD ONES THAT DID SO MANY GREAT THINGS FOR SOCIETY & LEAVE ALL THE ONES HERE ON EARTH THAT ARE CAUSING PAIN AND DEATH & ALL KINDS OF HAVIC IS SAD. IT MAKES ME NOT WANT TO BE HERE. MJ WAS THE CLOSEST THING WE HAD TO JESUS. THE HATERS NEED TO RECOGNIZE AND ACKNOWLEDGE THAT, BUT THEY NEVER WILL BECAUSE ALL OF THE ONES WHO HAVE NEGATIVE THINGS TO SAY ABOUT HIM ARE SATAN’S DISCIPLES; THEY ARE JUST DOING SATAN’S WORK. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH MJ. MAY YOU R.I.P. I SAW THIS IS IT TWICE. I THINK IT WAS WONDERFUL. I WANT TO SEE IT AGAIN & I’M GOING TO BUY IT WHEN IT COMES OUT ON DVD.

Ericka Cain November 20, 2009, 11:36 AM

I have seen the movie 2X’s The first time it was about 5 other people in which was great! It gave me a chance to be a fan in a concert. I clapped, I sang and danced along with MJ. The second time it was crowded and I got a chance to see what I missed from all of my cheering, clapping, dancing and singing. The 2nd time people were crying in the end. MJ, was an Angel sent from God, given to Lovers of Good Music. Just like any human; we have our faults, NO ONE IS PERFECT, we can strive for it, and I believe MJ STRIVED his BUTT off to almost PERFECT. We have truly seen one of the last work of musical genius. PRINCE is the last musical genius left!!!

Ericka Cain November 20, 2009, 11:49 AM

@ Rob

Anyone who has ever been given the name/title King or Queen of any music genre NEVER gave themselves that name/title. It has always been bestowed upon them by the MEDIA. Michael Jacskon, Elvis, Aretha, Diana Ross, etc….All those titles were media influenced. And if you never cared for Michael Jackson music, why did you comment? The Jackson 5 or the Jackson music would not have been nothing w/out Michael. Why do you think they always begged Michael to do a reunion? MJ was the main ingredient, and I am not taking away Germaine’s, Randy’s, Marlon’s or Tito’s talents.

Dodge Truck Towing Capacity Chart November 25, 2010, 12:50 AM

I guess what I’m trying to say is, I don’t think you can measure life in terms of years. I think longevity doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with happiness. I mean happiness comes from facing challenges and going out on a limb and taking risks. If you’re not willing to take a risk for something you really care about, you might as well be dead.

Treatment for Hemorrhoid November 27, 2010, 4:22 AM

Interesting information. Thanks so much, have a good day!

Hemorrhoid Cure November 27, 2010, 3:30 PM

Nice reading. Very helpful, looking forward to your feed updates…

buy diazepam December 1, 2010, 3:56 PM

If you’re interested in having a guest blog poster please let me know. I will provide you with unique content for your webstie, thanks.

miley cyrus short hair 2012 December 22, 2010, 5:20 AM

If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.

diete December 27, 2010, 5:13 AM

I was been after the google for this info and i wanted to say thanks to u for this post. Also, just off topic, how can i find a copy of this theme? – Thank you

Gielda Transportowa January 11, 2011, 2:39 AM

Thank you for your post. I like it! Greetings!

Torty February 2, 2011, 12:51 AM

Simply you are the best!

Torty February 3, 2011, 12:23 AM

You are my favourite website, I read your articles everyday.

Andres Sweis February 5, 2011, 6:09 AM

I’d have to check with you here. Which is not something I usually do! I enjoy reading a post that will make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to comment!

Andres Gahl February 6, 2011, 7:54 AM

Well I really liked studying it. This information provided by you is very helpful for accurate planning.

stomatolog Osielec February 8, 2011, 8:27 AM

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be actually something that I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and very broad for me. I am looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!

szyby samochodowe warszawa February 8, 2011, 8:33 AM

Hey very nice web site!! Man .. Beautiful .. Amazing .. I’ll bookmark your website and take the feeds also…I’m happy to find so many useful information here in the post, we need work out more techniques in this regard, thanks for sharing… …

lego February 9, 2011, 7:44 AM

The new article is going to be awesome!

stomatolog Białe Błota February 9, 2011, 7:46 AM

Terrific work! This is the type of information that should be shared around the net. Shame on Google for not positioning this post higher! Come on over and visit my website . Thanks =)

safe hair color products February 17, 2011, 5:30 AM

If at first you don’t succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.