It's that time of year -- a time to mention what we are thankful for.
Michelle Kemper Brownlow: Some people keep a gratitude journal and some people make lists or send notes. I'm a mom of three; I don't even have time to find a pen ... so I tell anyone who will listen. Of course, while out and about, I run the risk of being dubbed, "that woman who talks to herself in Wal-Mart" but if I don't put it out there, it will be forgotten by the next diaper change.
Once you are a mom, your "Thankful List" changes drastically. Health and happiness falls by the wayside ... we focus on the little things.
The following is THIS mom's 2009 Thankful List.
• the bus was on time and no one was home sick
• no one has to know I crawled back into bed before the bus left the curb
• no child called 10 minutes later asking me to bring an instrument/lunch/homework to school
• that my socks only hit three sticky spots on the kitchen floor as I slugged to the coffee pot
• that the dog likes to lick the sticky spots
• for that one reserve pair of underwear at the bottom of the drawer on laundry day
• I went six whole hours with no bodily fluids on my person
• I actually had a shower when the UPS guy rang the doorbell
• the greeter at Wal-Mart told me my shirt was on backwards BEFORE I ran into the PTA president
• when I changed my shirt around, the restroom didn't smell like (insert gross smell)
• when I sneezed in the shampoo aisle and peed a little, I was wearing a pad
• I have all of this and more to look forward to tomorrow ... sigh ...
|Michelle Kemper Brownlow is a freelance parenting writer, artist and popular mommy blogger who holds nothing back at My Semblance of Sanity. Michelle's unique but gentle parenting insight paired with her quirky sense of humor works to her benefit as she writes and illustrates children's picture books.|