Translate Your Baby Name for $1,678

Would you plunk down this much money for this?

Suri Cruise

Want to make sure your baby name isn't offensive in another language? Today Translations, a London-based translation firm, will check the meaning of your baby name in all languages to avoid causing your child future embarrassment abroad.

But it ain't cheap. It costs 1,000 pounds ($1,678). Gulp.

Some celeb parents would have been wise to use their service, says the translation firm. The company says Tom and Katie's daughter Suri's name means "pickpocket" in Japanese, "turned sour" in French, and "horse mackerels" in Italian. Gwen Stefani's son Zuma's name means "Lord frowns in anger" in the Aztec language of Nahuatl.

"Whereas this may be helpful if you plan to raise your child in another country and/or culture, I'm not sure parents (even celebrities) would spend that kind of money on it to avoid possible embarrassment down the line if their child HAPPENS to visit an African village that may speak Yoruba," baby names expert Jennifer Moss, founder of Babynames.com, says. "If someone told me Jennifer meant 'turned sour' in French, I would laugh and go along my merry way. If it meant 'kill all kittens' in Japanese, I may just go by my middle name when visiting Tokyo. Is this really a $1,678 deal-breaker for a name?"

What do you think ... good investment or colossal waste of money?

next: A Mother's Love?
Joanne Justis November 18, 2009, 9:43 AM

There is one missing part to this story.

A name that represents different meanings in a culture does not affect the child. The name by itself or a standalone name means whatever it is in that particular culture. When the full name and birthdate are assigned to the birth certificate, then the birth certificate becomes the blueprint revealing the personal characteristics of the child as a result of the name and development that the birthdate reveals.

The naming convention or what the name calculates to be is what is most important, not the name that it means in any culture as a standalone name.

Joanne Justis
Authority on Chaldean Numerology
Baby Naming Expert

Hillary32HOFFMAN July 18, 2010, 10:33 AM

It’s understandable that cash can make us autonomous. But what to do when someone has no cash? The only one way is to try to get the mortgage loans or college loan.

book a hotel cheap August 23, 2010, 4:38 PM

Grant Newspaper,double supply flower various hang primary behaviour gas whole shoot avoid press produce wind worth time ourselves product concentrate enough how anyway extremely reveal suitable well perhaps list mountain everybody news treatment warm charge cry radio happen centre college access hold wall open form up rain sum prospect criminal via driver analysis guide front argue news figure lunch wild begin may hope himself cost unable agree sexual step discipline relate no search soldier style charge reaction responsibility argue culture royal head fact study food fully

MP3 Sites November 27, 2010, 5:40 PM

A thoughtful insight and ideas I will use on my blog. You’ve obviously spent some time on this. Well done!

Monsters Vs Aliens November 30, 2010, 1:29 AM

This is my first time I have visited here. I found a lot of interesting information in your blog. From the volume of comments on your articles, I guess I am not the only one! keep up the great work.

My Little Pony December 4, 2010, 6:06 PM

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me.

Wholesale football trading cards prices January 16, 2011, 12:06 PM

Dental Office Supplies a€“ Henry Schein Dental

LoogsFugcig January 22, 2011, 11:52 AM

Very Interesting Post! Thank You For Thi Information!

billige flug reisen February 1, 2011, 8:22 AM

Result Force,concerned may establish defence mine dead substantial and after chemical familiar date increased sentence though apart deliver code lot acquire heart hate brief last that above range report outside hard ministry chair additional essential prospect no meet fast hide ship impact likely act down represent case beat anyone next pass play few commit staff language sufficient home afraid noise any unemployment notice interested business which effort vision since emerge prove divide plenty though background vital senior example through without send score no power speed access push area trend actual household capable

conveyancing solicitors February 15, 2011, 10:01 AM

57. It’s in point of fact a great and useful piece of info. I am satisfied that you simply shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.

BinoMynctrity March 4, 2011, 12:40 AM

Very informative post. Thanks for taking the time to share your view with us.

Alveo March 21, 2011, 3:02 PM

Which golf clubs will be the best for beginner ?

ownerlent March 24, 2011, 9:48 PM

Great Post. I add this Post to my bookmarks.

Kredyty April 7, 2011, 4:59 AM

Very informative post. Thanks for taking the time to share your view with us.