The Tween 'Twilight' Obsession

Dr. Wendy Walsh: Two days. That's when "New Moon," the second movie in the "Twilight" series, comes out. I know this fact because I have heard my 11-year-old daughter say it today over and over again. I think she has given me a "New Moon" update today the same number of times as the average number of pages in a "Twilight" book. That's 611, for you novices.

tween obsessed with the twilight boys
When the "Twilight" craze first descended on my home, I was delighted that such literary tomes sat at the bedside of my fifth grader. There are 2,446 pages in the four-book series, and she devoured the first book in three days. Then we rented the movie and watched it together.

Having been warned by a few moms in the village, I was prepared to find many "teaching moments" in the screening. But I was pleasantly surprised. It was entertaining for both of us. It was a sweet love story clothed in the cinematic form of a fantasy thriller. The plot is simple: teen girl moves from Phoenix, Arizona, to Forks, Washington, and meets a family of vampires who live undetected in the community. The hunky, oldest boy vampire eventually falls in love with the girl. The problem is this: although they are driven by teenaged hormones, if they dare consummate their love, she will die ... or at least become a vampire with his bite. So the bulk of the movie is two love-struck teens, fighting their urges and showing enormous restraint. Cool, I thought. I can use that.

I made a point to compare Bella and Edward's dilemma with the real-life dangers of teenaged sex. My daughter listened attentively. I know that she was listening because she took one earpiece out of her iPod. She even glanced up from her laptop once. I told her that sex can be physically dangerous and someone can get hurt. I explained what a metaphor was, and then I used the "Twilight" metaphor. Edward loves her so much that he wants to protect her. He doesn't want to suck the life out of her just because he's so horny, uh, I mean hungry for her. Get it, kid?

Then onto books two and three. The action goes on. Plenty of evil, unrelated vampires also like the smell of Bella's blood, and she and Edward go on the lam and fight off villains. Her best friend, Jacob, becomes a sexy werewolf who also kills vampires. And, there's even a chilling female vampire named Victoria who is out for Bella. Bella survives it all until book four. By that time, she and Edward have all their ducks in order and consummate their love in a story that only a parent could write. They have graduated from school, and as legal adults, they get married, and their "first time" happens on their honeymoon. Whew. My daughter gets out safely with good messages about sex.

Now onto the obsession part. I wondered how healthy salivating over a young hunk could be for a tween. Since Jacob (played by Taylor Lautner) runs with a pack of werewolves with enough strapped-on six-packs to make a Chippendales dancer envious, I worried about the visuals. Then I looked at any fashion billboard in America and realized that our whole media culture is sexualized, too. "Twilight" is keeping up with industry standard, for better or for worse. So, I asked my little angel what she would do if she met T-a-a-a-ylor. That's how she draws out his name. She said she thinks she would either faint or, if she could stay conscious, she might like to kiss him on the cheek.

"The cheek?" I ask.

"Like, yah," she replied. "I'm only eleven, Mom."

Of course. Now I get it. She's looking at the actors through the eyes of a young adolescent. I'm looking at those abs with the eyes of a woman who will never see abs like that in real life again. My fantasies are but sweet memories. My daughter's fantasies are ahead of her -- when she's a legal adult and on her honeymoon.

next: Don't Pick on Picky Eaters
Denis Waligora January 27, 2011, 1:49 AM

Interesting site. I appreciate your effort, very informative and easy to understand.

microsoft help January 28, 2011, 1:28 AM

I found your post very interesting.

Alphonso Rothove February 10, 2011, 2:05 PM

I am having a weird problem I cannot seem to be ready to subscribe to your RSS feed. i am using google reader FYI.

Mauro Durig February 11, 2011, 4:07 AM

Awsome article and straight to the point. I don’t know if this is truly the best place to ask but do you people have any thoughts on where to hire some professional writers? Thanks :)

Terrilyn Holaday February 23, 2011, 1:15 PM

You are a outstanding author. You evidently imparted the message.

Nevada Breaud February 24, 2011, 11:33 AM

It is unusual on behalf of me to find something on the online that’s as entertaining and Intriguing as what you’ve happened. Your page is good, your graphics are outstanding, and what’s more, you employ source that are relevant to what you are saying. you’re actually one in an exceedingly million, good job

Jeanna Stamand February 24, 2011, 2:20 PM

If I possess three thumbs I may be giving all out because of the very fact of this intelligent entry, however I only have two. thus 2 thumbs up for you then.

Rogelio Sause February 25, 2011, 10:38 AM

If I possess 3 thumbs I can be giving them all out thanks to the actual fact of this intelligent entry, however I solely have two. thus two thumbs up for you then.

Ernie Babick February 25, 2011, 1:06 PM

Great post I accept as true with your leading points and suppose the title says it all, I enjoyed browseing and I can surely come back from time to time to read more of your writing. sustain the nice work

Rod Dehlinger February 25, 2011, 4:13 PM

I’ve learned most on-line in the past four years. the bulk of my data I attribute to reading nice blogs like yours. Thank you

Noriko Ende February 26, 2011, 2:42 AM

I offer a service as a designated driver. Im in Sonoma Valley, and can offer wine touring service in the customers vehicle. I have been doing this for over 5 years and have several referrals and repeat customers. (much cheaper and much of customized information of the wine country) just e-mail me at valet_driver @ yahoo.com and we go from there. Thanks

Quinton Scheuvront February 26, 2011, 6:05 AM

I am having a weird problem I cannot appear to be ready to subscribe to your RSS feed. i’m using google reader FYI.

Mertie Jahncke February 26, 2011, 9:44 AM

The best factor to carry onto in life is one another.

Jena Tsu February 26, 2011, 12:10 PM

How is it that simply anybody can write a website and obtain as standard as this? Its not like youve said anything incredibly impressive –more like youve painted a reasonably picture over a problem that you just apprehend nothing concerning I don’t wish to sound mean, here. but do you extremely suppose that you just can go away with adding some pretty pictures and not really say anything?

Brett Duh February 26, 2011, 5:06 PM

thx for this post terribly informative

Donn Catlow February 27, 2011, 2:56 AM

This website is incredibly smart. How was it made .

Ferdinand Grundy February 27, 2011, 8:52 AM

How is it that simply anybody will write a web site and get as widespread as this? Its not like youve said something incredibly impressive –more like youve painted a reasonably picture over an issue that you just grasp nothing regarding I don’t need to sound mean, here. but do you really suppose that you simply will escape with adding some pretty photos and not very say anything?

Lynn Stich February 27, 2011, 10:46 AM

Wow, this was a true quality post. In theory I’d like to write like this too – taking time and real effort to form a good article… however what am I able to say… I keep putting it off and never seem to urge something done

Douglas Lecomte February 27, 2011, 2:26 PM

can I link to your post?

Lyle Chheang February 28, 2011, 12:50 AM

I love simply taking a possibility from category and visiting your web site. I simply want you posted a lot of usually. I actually need to say thanks