The Tween 'Twilight' Obsession

Dr. Wendy Walsh: Two days. That's when "New Moon," the second movie in the "Twilight" series, comes out. I know this fact because I have heard my 11-year-old daughter say it today over and over again. I think she has given me a "New Moon" update today the same number of times as the average number of pages in a "Twilight" book. That's 611, for you novices.

tween obsessed with the twilight boys
When the "Twilight" craze first descended on my home, I was delighted that such literary tomes sat at the bedside of my fifth grader. There are 2,446 pages in the four-book series, and she devoured the first book in three days. Then we rented the movie and watched it together.

Having been warned by a few moms in the village, I was prepared to find many "teaching moments" in the screening. But I was pleasantly surprised. It was entertaining for both of us. It was a sweet love story clothed in the cinematic form of a fantasy thriller. The plot is simple: teen girl moves from Phoenix, Arizona, to Forks, Washington, and meets a family of vampires who live undetected in the community. The hunky, oldest boy vampire eventually falls in love with the girl. The problem is this: although they are driven by teenaged hormones, if they dare consummate their love, she will die ... or at least become a vampire with his bite. So the bulk of the movie is two love-struck teens, fighting their urges and showing enormous restraint. Cool, I thought. I can use that.

I made a point to compare Bella and Edward's dilemma with the real-life dangers of teenaged sex. My daughter listened attentively. I know that she was listening because she took one earpiece out of her iPod. She even glanced up from her laptop once. I told her that sex can be physically dangerous and someone can get hurt. I explained what a metaphor was, and then I used the "Twilight" metaphor. Edward loves her so much that he wants to protect her. He doesn't want to suck the life out of her just because he's so horny, uh, I mean hungry for her. Get it, kid?

Then onto books two and three. The action goes on. Plenty of evil, unrelated vampires also like the smell of Bella's blood, and she and Edward go on the lam and fight off villains. Her best friend, Jacob, becomes a sexy werewolf who also kills vampires. And, there's even a chilling female vampire named Victoria who is out for Bella. Bella survives it all until book four. By that time, she and Edward have all their ducks in order and consummate their love in a story that only a parent could write. They have graduated from school, and as legal adults, they get married, and their "first time" happens on their honeymoon. Whew. My daughter gets out safely with good messages about sex.

Now onto the obsession part. I wondered how healthy salivating over a young hunk could be for a tween. Since Jacob (played by Taylor Lautner) runs with a pack of werewolves with enough strapped-on six-packs to make a Chippendales dancer envious, I worried about the visuals. Then I looked at any fashion billboard in America and realized that our whole media culture is sexualized, too. "Twilight" is keeping up with industry standard, for better or for worse. So, I asked my little angel what she would do if she met T-a-a-a-ylor. That's how she draws out his name. She said she thinks she would either faint or, if she could stay conscious, she might like to kiss him on the cheek.

"The cheek?" I ask.

"Like, yah," she replied. "I'm only eleven, Mom."

Of course. Now I get it. She's looking at the actors through the eyes of a young adolescent. I'm looking at those abs with the eyes of a woman who will never see abs like that in real life again. My fantasies are but sweet memories. My daughter's fantasies are ahead of her -- when she's a legal adult and on her honeymoon.

next: Don't Pick on Picky Eaters
Loralee Osmond February 28, 2011, 5:55 AM

Hello, a helpful browse buddy. Thanks but I’m having drawback with ur rss feed. Unable to subscribe to it. thus anybody else having identical rss feed issue? Anyone who will help kindly respond. Thanks beforehand

Gino Welchman February 28, 2011, 8:37 AM

Hi there You some style of professional? Nice message. are you able to inform me how one can subscribe your weblog?

Shenna Hollister February 28, 2011, 11:17 AM

Wow, this was a real quality post. In theory I’d wish to write like this too – taking time and real effort to form a good article… however what can I say… I keep putting it off and never seem to get something done

Tenesha Moodie March 1, 2011, 6:54 AM

Keep websiteing stuff like this I actually am fond of it

Otis Taegel March 1, 2011, 9:52 AM

Hello, i feel that I saw you visited my web site so i came to “return the favor”.I’m trying to search out things to enhance my websiteI suppose its ok to use a number of your concepts

Lisette Scheulen March 1, 2011, 12:04 PM

This brightend my day thus can I brighten yours?

Loyd Sakamoto March 1, 2011, 4:36 PM

Keep the posting up. I never thought I would realize an individual that had close to the same grasp of worldly knowldege , however, you are that beacon of hope in humanityI hope you continue to bring your knowldge and enlightenment to the world and never let your expression be squelched Live sturdy

Vernon Stefford March 2, 2011, 1:34 PM

Wow, this was a real quality post. In theory I’d like to write like this too – taking time and real effort to make a decent article… but what am I able to say… I keep putting it off and never appear to induce one thing done

Domingo Sanfelix March 2, 2011, 3:54 PM

The cyberspace is choked with miscellaneous and academic words. but this text suggests that over all I’ve managed to seeso way.

Heide Bielik March 3, 2011, 8:33 AM

This article receives a two thumbs far from me.

Nathanial Tatar March 3, 2011, 11:07 AM

Very efficiently written post. it’ll be supportive to anyone who usess it, also as myself. continue the great work – I will be able to positively scan additional posts.

Pete Garick March 3, 2011, 1:24 PM

Great tips I will be able to try it definitely thanks for sharing this

Alia Gunzelman March 3, 2011, 4:07 PM

I have been once the net for this data and that I wanted to thank u for the post. By the way, just off topic, where am I able to notice a copy of this theme? – Regards

Catherina Stoneburner March 3, 2011, 5:59 PM

Between me and my husband we’ve owned a lot of MP3 players over the years than I will count, including Sansas, iRivers, iPods (classic & touch), the Ibiza Rhapsody, etc. But, the previous few years I’ve settled right down to one line of players. Why? because i was happy to get how well-designed and fun to use the underappreciated (and widely mocked) Zunes are.

Verline Fossett March 3, 2011, 8:55 PM

can I link to your post?

Edgar Sheets March 4, 2011, 9:55 AM

Please never let your opinions and Insightful knowldge be squelched, shaped, or distorted. the data you provided here no matter its complexity or simplicity has made a significant impact on my epistemological groundwork and will not be forgotten. Livestrong blogger

Oswaldo Burbage March 4, 2011, 4:28 PM

It is uncommon on behalf of me to get one thing on the web that’s as entertaining and Intriguing as what you’ve came. Your page is sweet, your graphics are outstanding, and what’s more, you employ supply that are relevant to what you are saying. you’re definitely one in an exceedingly million, good job

Ivan Wirta March 5, 2011, 8:56 AM

2. nice story yet again Thank you;)

Leo Urban March 5, 2011, 11:24 AM

Generally I do not articles on blogs, but i’d prefer to say that this text extremely forced me to do so, Terrific article

Nakia Greenwood March 5, 2011, 2:08 PM

I’ve learned most online within the past four years. the bulk of my information I attribute to reading great blogs like yours. Thank you