Vacation or Soccer Playoffs?

My son's 3rd grade soccer team has made it to the playoffs ... but we are due to go on vacation the day of the first game. What's a mom to do?

kid playing soccer

Momlogic's Julie: I've got a dilemma, moms, and I need your help.

The good news: My son's AYSO soccer team is undefeated, and they have made it into the playoffs.

The bad news: We have a vacation planned and leave on Saturday, the day of their first playoff game.

When we told the coach we weren't going to be there, he said the kids look forward to this all year and he couldn't believe we were going to miss it. He almost made us feel like we should reschedule our (nonrefundable) Thanksgiving plans.

When we originally scheduled the vacation, we thought the soccer season would be over, so we never even factored it in at all.

Part of me just says to go ahead and go on vacation ... if they win the two playoff games (Saturday and Sunday), they'll play the following weekend -- and my son could make it for that game. Plus, hello, it's third grade -- is it really THAT big of a deal? My son doesn't seem to be too concerned about it.

Another part of me wonders if I should try to postpone our vacation by a day or two -- but that means we lose out on two vacation days that we've already paid for. And in this recession, we can't really afford to blow money like that.

What would you do in my shoes? Go on vacation as planned, or reschedule to accommodate the playoff games? Help!

next: Task Force Opposes Routine Mammograms for Women Age 40-49
PlumbLucky November 17, 2009, 7:13 AM

I’m assuming that is just your standard AYSO and not travel soccer.

Why the devil would a coach say such a thing? (My dad was an AYSO coach for years…and his advise to you would be “don’t worry, GO!”) You can’t afford to lose money on the nonrefundible tickets, you didn’t factor in soccer season as a “what if”, your son doesn’t seem to care if he misses, and you’re right: its third grade. Go.

Cait November 17, 2009, 7:53 AM

Go on vacation! You made plans, it’s ok to stick to them. You didn’t just suddenly decide to pull him out of soccer. In the long run, it’s the family vacation that he’ll remember, not missing a soccer game or two.

Denise November 17, 2009, 11:28 AM

Vacation for sure! I might, maybe, reconsider vacation plans if it was High School State Championships, but not 3rd grade soccer. You kid is, what? 8 or 9 years old? In a couple years he may not even want to play soccer anymore.
Family comes first, and stuff the family paid lots of money for over rules all else.

Christina November 17, 2009, 12:21 PM

You “thought” soccer season would be over. You didn’t check before making vacation plans? You’re pretty much screwed no matter what you do. The coach was out of line, admittedly, but there is a good chance your child is going to be upset after the fact when his teammates tell him all about the game(s) he missed. You’re also giving your son conflicting messages. Team sports are about skills, but also about putting the good of the whole ahead of the individual. By not checking the schedule before making plans, and then taking him out of the playoffs for your vacation, you undermine one of the very lessons you likely put him in sports to learn.

Michele November 17, 2009, 2:11 PM

Go on vacation! You did everything you could do. The playoff schedule is not posted when the rest of the season’s games are - I just found out that my daughter is playing this weekend.

Andrea November 18, 2009, 9:07 AM

GO!!!!!!!!!! Vacation with the family will out do any soccer playoffs