When Did Daylight Savings Become D-Day for Moms?

Shut up and get over it!

Mother and crying baby

Childless Bitch: There's a lot out there for you mommies to complain about. I get it -- it's the hardest job EVER taking care of a human being that can't wipe its own butt -- but this complaint came right out of left field. And it's totally unwarranted.

I awoke this past Sunday, post-Halloween frenzy, like any other childless single lady (er, bitch). With smeared makeup and candy wrappers falling from hidden crevices, I rolled over and checked Facebook on my Crackberry. I'm not the only one that does this ... get over it. My clock read 10:15, but my Facebook status updates reminded me that it was daylight savings and I'd gained an hour. Yay, right? Not so much. According to the mommies of the world, this extra hour was absolutely the worst thing that could ever happen in the history of childcare.

One by one, I read the complaints. Everything from "This is my second least favorite day of the year for baby Lucy -- my first is springing ahead," to "Daylight savings was invented by a man who never had to deal with a toddler," to "This is seriously messing with my kid's nap time." To which I say, what the eff are you crazy people even talking about?! So your kid eats her mushed bananas an hour earlier? Madison will now go to Ashtanga yoga BEFORE napping, not after. I don't get it -- what's the big deal?

I know I bitch about you mommies a lot, but I really do try and see things from your perspective and I often sympathize (a tiny bit) with your "situation." But not now. This complaining about daylight savings is ridiculous. Do you think our grandmothers, let alone our mothers, even thought twice about something as futile as making a slight adjustment to when little Logan would get to watch his "Yo Gabba Gabba"? Doubt it. And there was a lot less birth control back then, so some of these women were dealing with a plethora of Sophias and Aidens -- with no outside help (unless they were exceptionally wealthy) -- no Baby Einstein videos to plop them in front of -- and certainly very little assistance from their husbands. Raising babies was ladies' work, after all. I watch "Mad Men" -- I know how things were.

Complaining about the time adjustment is what's known as a first-world problem, which means it's a problem that only people of a certain economic status have. I'm not trying to get all preachy here, but if daylight savings is the biggest problem in your life right now, you are living a damned good life.

next: Maine Gay Marriage Law Repealed
anonymous November 4, 2009, 4:38 AM

It doesn’t matter if you understand. But I think it’s adorable that you are so self-righteous.

chris November 4, 2009, 4:38 AM

My kids are older now (14 & 9) and it doesnt affect them at all. When they were little, it might have affected them for 2 or 3 days. No big deal. If mommies out there are complaining about this, I say GET OVER IT! There are much bigger problems to complain about.

PlumbLucky November 4, 2009, 4:44 AM

Oh, I was complaining about the spring-forward part at least even before children.

The fall-back part wasn’t too bad in itself…it was the combination of the “adult” trick or treating in my neighborhood combined with the fact that my tot felt it was time to be up even though it was an hour earlier…

Should have done some research on the history of daylight savings though - it was likely not something our grandmothers dealt with (as far as babies anyways), as (other than a timeframe in WWII) it was only nationally recognized in 1966, prior to that local municipalities had jurisdiction and may or may not have chosen to do anything with it.

Donna November 4, 2009, 6:40 AM

I can see it might be a problem if mommy and baby have such a high-stress life where every moment must be choreographed - and some parents actually think this is good for their child.
Babies are creatures of habit - they are happiest when things are orderly and routine.
I stayed at home with my kids until the youngest was in kindergarten (gasp!) and so it wasn’t a huge deal. I tailored my life to their routine, not vice versa.

Nicole November 4, 2009, 7:01 AM

ya its fine until you have an autistic son that is on a routine to help him organize his day and you cant explain the time change to him because hes three. Would I compare it to 9/11… hell no. But you can’t understand unless you have children… I envy you and your days of getting up at 10:30.

jennifer angstmom.com November 4, 2009, 7:56 AM

Hysterical- I only wish I wrote this first! Yesterday at Toddler Group, the facilitator had an ominous expression and asked “How are you all coping?” WTF?? Some moms really need to get some freaking perspective. And a life too, while they are at it!

JustMe November 4, 2009, 8:48 AM

I never had that problem with my daughter on daylight savings; she loved to sleep.

Mic November 4, 2009, 9:50 AM

Ha Ha! I have heard so many moms complaining, but for me it is working out great! On Sunday nite, I left some of the clocks an hour ahead, so was able to get them to bed @ 7:30 & 8pm. The following morning they woke up so easy, & in such great moods!!!

Anonymous November 4, 2009, 10:43 AM

Take that a step further: if you’re biggest problem in you life is raising a child (and not walking an hour to find water, wondering where your next meal will come from, etc.) you have a damn good life.

anonymous November 4, 2009, 10:56 AM

Wow, you are quite the douche. Please give me back the time I waste reading this.

Shannon November 4, 2009, 11:10 AM

Amen.

mary November 4, 2009, 11:24 AM

Are you sure you have not suffered any sort of illness/mental damage during that holloween party - or is it too much candy in your system? your piece sounds so off, woman1 Get a life, and i’d say: grow up!

jennifer angstmom.com November 4, 2009, 11:47 AM

These moms are so out of touch and really need to get a grip and get some real problems.

jenn November 4, 2009, 1:00 PM

friggin hilarious! amen indeed.

Joi November 4, 2009, 1:19 PM

Look’s like someone is bitter! It’s okay..if you cant have one naturally, ADOPT!!

joi November 4, 2009, 1:22 PM

Although you should start by getting a man first! lol

dana November 4, 2009, 3:46 PM

I have 3 kids and didnt have any problems with time falling back. I have never in my life heard anyone complain about time moving back an hour. Some people need to get a grip.

James November 4, 2009, 6:14 PM

Let’s all remember that sometimes it’s not just the moms that have to deal with this issue. I took this bullet for my wife at 4 a.m. on both Sunday and Monday. Thank God my daughter’s back on schedule now, but my wife did get her extra hour. Mine is somewhere in FantasyLand by now.

Kate November 4, 2009, 7:27 PM

What are you talking about?

Is this really a hot topic?

DavidInSeattle November 4, 2009, 8:20 PM

Your facebook status actually reminded you that it was Standard Time. Daylight Savings Time ends in November.