Adoptive Parents Worry Their Babies Were Sold

Over the last several years, numerous reports have revealed that kidnapping, coercion, fraud, and money have also played a role in how some of these children ended up in orphanages.

chinese girl

Ronda Kaysen: From the start, Malinda Seymore suspected something was amiss about her adoptive daughter's birth story. The Chinese orphanage told her that Zoe was a foundling, left on a bridge on the day of her birth with a note written on red paper by her birth parents. But three other adoptive families received similar notes, written on the same red paper, when they adopted their daughters from the same orphanage. Seymore suspected she wasn't getting the whole story. But with only the orphanage's word to go on, there was little she could do but wonder.

Eight years later, she is still wondering. And with good reason. This summer, the Los Angeles Times reported that corrupt officials in the Chinese government kidnapped babies from their homes and sold them to orphanages for upwards of $3,000 a piece. This is not the first time that reports of trafficking have trickled out of China, but it is by far the most shocking incident to date.

The latest news unleashed a torrent of conflicting emotions within the adoptive community ranging from worry to anger to outright denial. Some see the news as further proof that their lingering suspicions are well founded.

"There are all of these unanswered questions and inconsistencies in the information I have that raised this issue of whether there is some corruption involved," Seymore told momlogic.

When news broke that orphanages were paying for children, Seymore saw that as a clue as to what might have happened to Zoe, who is now 9. Now the mystery of the note had several possible solutions. Maybe Zoe wasn't a foundling, but was instead delivered to the orphanage by her parents, and the orphanage gave them the red paper on which to write the note. That scenario would mean the abandonment document is a forgery. Or, it could be that someone else delivered Zoe to the orphanage and that person wrote the note, throwing her entire story into doubt. Whatever the truth is, the facts still don't add up.

"The not knowing is one of the hardest things Zoe has to deal with," said Seymore, who adopted a second daughter from China, Maya, in 2005. "Not knowing who her birth parents are, not knowing why. Every time I have to say 'I don't know,' it reinforces a problem for her," she said. "The frustration is I don't feel that I can emphasize what I do know because what I do know isn't necessarily true."

It's no secret that many of the healthy babies -- most of them girls -- who turn up in Chinese orphanages are there because of China's one-child policy. The assumption has long been that parents relinquished their daughters because they couldn't afford the penalty, or hoped to later bear a son in a country with a preference for boys. But over the last several years, numerous reports have revealed that kidnapping, coercion, fraud, and money have also played a role in how some of these children ended up in orphanages.

The latest revelations are truly shocking. For the first time, Chinese families have come forward in the American press to tell harrowing tales of how their children were kidnapped by government officials and sold without their knowledge or consent to orphanages for international adoption. Family planning officials trekked into rural villages and plucked babies from their homes, snatching them from their mothers' arms and selling them for a handsome sum.

For American parents, the chilling news is one more reminder that the official story they've been handed about their child may not be the real one. And they're left with a very dark alternative to ponder. In this case, they're left to wonder if their child's birth parents did not willingly relinquish an unwanted child, but are instead grieving for a stolen one.

"Stone silence would be one way to describe the majority of families. They don't know how to respond," said Brian Stuy, whose organization, Research-China.org, researches the family histories of adoptees. He has three adopted daughters from China.

China is by far the most popular country parents go to when trying to adopt internationally. In the last five years, Americans have adopted nearly 31,000 children from China. As demand increases for Chinese babies, so too does the possibility of corruption. The United States continues to support adoption from China, even while it has banned adoptions from countries like Cambodia, Vietnam, and Guatemala because of reports of trafficking and corruption.

A 2005 congressional report found that trafficking of women and children is "pervasive" in China, and many of the infants and young children were kidnapped for adoption. According to the report, 250,000 women and children were sold in China during 2003.

"To assume that these kind of stories are rare defies an understanding of the Chinese government's goals and objectives," Research-China.org's Stuy said. Corruption and trafficking "is much more widespread than what people would like to believe."

But many parents who adopt internationally don't have a deep understanding of Chinese culture and politics. They put their trust in international adoption agencies and Chinese orphanages, assuming both are reputable. Many parents don't want to ask too many questions for fear they'll lose any chance to adopt the child, especially after they've been matched with a baby and bonded over photographs.

"We, as adoptive parents, believed our adoptive agencies when they told us the adoption system was a clean one, and we naively believed that and didn't check further," said Dr. Jane Liedtke, founder of Our Chinese Daughters Foundation, an organization that encourages adoptive parents to learn about Chinese cultural history. She adopted her daughter from China in 1994. She encourages parents to press the agencies and the orphanages to tell them a fuller story before they bring their new child home.

Seymore, who lives in Texas, has begun to search for her daughters' birth parents. In 2007, they returned to China and visited the site where Zoe was allegedly abandoned and the hospital where Maya was found. Seymore suspected that Maya was born inside the hospital, not left at the entrance as she'd been told, but when she pressed hospital officials for birth records, they were silent. She hopes that she might eventually be able to uncover more clues, whatever they are, about her daughters.

"Obviously the worst-case scenario is that our kids were stolen," said Seymore. "But if we know, we can deal with it. It is that absence of information that makes you wonder and makes you worry."

next: 'Biggest Loser' Winner: 'I Worked My Tail Off'
earn from home March 17, 2011, 8:30 PM

Thats some great basics there, already knew some of that, but you can always learn . I doubt a “kid” could put together such information as dolphin278 suggested. Maybe he’s just trying to be “controversial? lol

mariage March 17, 2011, 10:09 PM

I like what you guys are up also. Such intelligent work and reporting! Carry on the excellent works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it’ll improve the value of my site :)

Zola Mccathern March 18, 2011, 5:32 AM

I understand that but where does it take us?

Too bad all the people who know how to run this country are busy running taxicabs or cutting hair. :)

When I open up your Feed it appears to be a ton of nonsense, is the issue on my part?

chat March 18, 2011, 12:52 PM

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point. You obviously know what youre talking about, why waste your intelligence on just posting videos to your site when you could be giving us something enlightening to read?

Wedding Photographer Edinburgh March 18, 2011, 2:59 PM

@ Newman I know what your saying there . In the current economy its tough to find a company to work for that pays well and is stable . I have found that if you just work hard and are consistent you can go places . Look at the poster of this page , they are oviously hard working and have just been consistent over time and are now enjoying at least what would appear as somewhat of a success. I would encourage everyone to just keep hustling and moving forward.

Joselyn Suganuma March 18, 2011, 6:32 PM

Today, I went to the beach with my kids. I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She put the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear. She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is totally off topic but I had to tell someone!

webcam sex chat March 19, 2011, 11:43 PM

I love easy-going men with a great sense of humour, men who can come up with ideas of their own and with who i can be open mind and feel comfortable and feel more close connetive!I love when men are saying how much the like me and love!

authentic jersey March 20, 2011, 2:10 AM

Would love to read further too…Thanks for great post!Not long ago, I did not give a lot of consideration to giving comments on site page articles and have positioned comments even less.

freebiejeebies March 20, 2011, 4:15 AM

Just blowing some time on Digg and I found your post . Not normally what I like to learn about, but it was certainly worth my time. Thanks.

Emile Hilbrand March 20, 2011, 5:20 AM

Awesome website you have here but I was wondering if you knew of any community forums that cover the same topics talked about in this article? I’d really like to be a part of community where I can get opinions from other experienced individuals that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks a lot!

hcg drops March 20, 2011, 6:39 AM

We stumbled over here coming from a different website and thought I may as well check things out. I like what I see so now i am following you. Look forward to going over your web page again.

cheap textbooks March 20, 2011, 7:38 AM

Do you mind if I quote a couple of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back to your website? My website is in the very same niche as yours and my users would truly benefit from some of the information you provide here. Please let me know if this okay with you. Thank you!

Toronto Escort March 20, 2011, 9:07 AM

So not really on the same topic as your post, but I found this today and I just can’t resist sharing. Mrs. Agathe’s dishwasher quit working so she called a repairman. Since she had to go to work the next day, she told him, “I’ll leave the key under the mat. Fix the dishwasher, leave the bill on the counter, and I’ll mail you the check. Oh, and by the way…don’t worry about my Doberman. He won’t bother you. But, whatever you do, do NOT under ANY circumstances talk to my parrot!” When the repairman arrived at Mrs. Agathe’s apartment the next day, he discovered the biggest and meanest looking Doberman he had ever seen. But just as she had said, the dog simply laid there on the carpet, watching the repairman go about his business. However, the whole time the parrot drove him nuts with his incessant cursing, yelling and name-calling. Finally the repairman couldn’t contain himself any longer and yelled, “Shut up, you stupid ugly bird!” To which the parrot replied, “Get him, Spike!”

vigrx plus March 20, 2011, 3:10 PM

That fantabulous post this has been. Within no way seen this kind associated with useful post. I’m grateful to you and anticipate much more associated with posts such as. Thank you very much.

xoom tablet March 20, 2011, 3:43 PM

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I really feel can uncover any info in write-up and discus forum

cheap tattoo kits March 20, 2011, 5:16 PM

Heya i am for the first time here. I found this board and I find It truly useful & it helped me out much. I hope to give something back and help others like you aided me.

head shop March 20, 2011, 5:20 PM

More of this please

chocolate lg March 20, 2011, 6:38 PM

Hello! I just wish to give a huge thumbs up for the good data you could have right here on this post. I will likely be coming again to your weblog for extra soon.

geckos March 20, 2011, 7:35 PM

In case you don’t thoughts my asking, do you make good income from this website?