Dear God: Can I Please Have a Christmas Tree?

My kid was caught in the middle of the Chrismukkah debate. Only, the debate was within himself.

boy dreaming of christmas tree

Dr. Michelle Golland: We were driving down the road in my black minivan. My son, Asher, was quietly sitting, staring out the window. Through my rearview mirror, I saw him shut his eyes and say it! It was said in the most innocent way that only a child could say it, but they were simply not the words I wanted to hear.

He said, "Dear God: Can I please have a Christmas tree?" Oh, an arrow through my heart. He might as well have folded his cute little hands into the prayer pose as he said it!

Believe me, his life began Jewishly, the bris with the whole family (okay, this doesn't include mine, which is not Jewish, but my dad happily wore a kippah and my nieces held the challah as we recited the chamotzi). So what went so terribly wrong? My son (see, I even named him a Hebrew name) is now 5 years old. This is the 4th official "December Dilemma" in our Jewish house.

We have recently been having talks about why we don't celebrate Christmas in our home. The standard rundown goes like this: We are Jewish, Jews don't have Christmas trees. Well, we all know that one of those statements isn't necessarily true. Okay, we changed it to: "We don't have a tree because we are so lucky to have Hanukkah." Hey, we get to light the menorah and open gifts for eight nights, not just one. With young kids, go straight to the gifts -- that seems to keep them off the subject, at least for a while, anyway.

I also told him that Hanukkah is about religious freedom. I explained how the Maccabees fought for all of us to continue to be Jewish, and we honor them by lighting the menorah and not having a Christmas tree in our house. I explained the miracle of the oil.

Not nearly as exciting as the miracle of a fat man coming down your chimney with a big bag of gifts. None of these explanations seemed sufficient for my little boy, who just wants to hang decorations on a Douglas fir.

I know what you are thinking: why is this such a big deal? It was just a little prayer to God. You must understand I have been working on my son's Jewish identity since before he was even born. I am a Jew-by-Choice and a psychologist. I know, my poor Jewish husband never stood a chance. My doctoral dissertation was entitled "Jewish Identity Development in Individuals who are Jews-by-Choice." You see, my interest is not simply emotional, it is also academic.

Asher's Jewish identity would be uniquely created because of the circumstances of his parents: one is a born Jew, and one converted to Judaism. I want him to have a strong sense of being Jewish -- culturally, intellectually, and spiritually. I don't think I am asking too much. I guess I have always been an overachiever.

To further complicate the story and thoroughly confuse my 5-year-old son, he and I were on our way to volunteer at a church to help them get ready for a big Christmas dinner that our synagogue runs every year. I told him how families who don't have a lot of things they need will be coming and getting great big "goodie bags" filled with shampoo, toothbrushes, socks, and the kids will get toys. Asher's only response after his prayer for the tree was this: "Mom, it's good they won't be giving the kids socks and toothbrushes because I sure wouldn't want that for Hanukkah."

As Asher and I walked into the church, hand-in-hand, the other volunteers were pulling out boxes of ornaments and strings of lights in the corner, where a naked Christmas tree sat waiting to be dressed up. In the aisle, I knelt down and said, "Go and see what's going on over there and I'll be there in a minute." I gave him a kiss on the cheek and off he ran to his friends that had gathered around the big tree.

I watched from a distance as my son began the ritual that I had done for so many years as a child. I understood his joy.

I thought about how, just five minutes ago, he had prayed for a Christmas tree, and I realized what he really wanted was the experience he was now having. As I walked up to Asher digging through a box of very used Christmas decorations, I whispered in his ear, "I think God answered your prayer, honey." He turned to me with a smile and a twinkle in his eye that only a miracle could bring about.

next: Feedback: Mom Versus the Photographer
blu ray March 20, 2011, 10:18 PM

Good luck from your sites, and i enjoyed reading this one.

buy device gps March 20, 2011, 11:03 PM

I’m pleased I located this web site,

harry potter movies buy March 21, 2011, 5:07 AM

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel can find any information in article and discus forum

microwave ovens March 21, 2011, 5:43 AM

wow i love this, good work! wow amazing i love those, great job!

electric scooters March 21, 2011, 6:22 AM

These articles sites stories are really great. Good luck with your website in the future.

Jerrold Hartman March 21, 2011, 6:31 AM

I do not know if you care or you cannot, however i’m making use of my cell to search your website but it does not really render properly. There exists a wordpress blogs plugin available to make sure it is cell phone compatible though, you should investigate it.

xoom March 21, 2011, 7:07 AM

Hello there, You’ve done an incredible job. I will definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I am sure they’ll be benefited from this website.

AAKG March 21, 2011, 9:15 AM

I got what you mean , thankyou for putting up.Woh I am lucky to find this website through google.

digital camera buy March 21, 2011, 9:19 AM

It’s laborious to search out educated folks on this matter, however you sound like you realize what you’re talking about! Thanks

gnc store locator March 21, 2011, 10:02 AM

Definitely believe that which you stated. Your favorite reason seemed to be on the web the simplest thing to be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get annoyed while people consider worries that they just do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people could take a signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

web hosting March 21, 2011, 11:22 AM

Hello! This is a very handy post. If you don’t mind I will bookmark it to my Mr Wong bookmarks.

tablet pc March 21, 2011, 1:56 PM

There may be noticeably a bundle to learn about this. I assume you made sure nice factors in features also.

4g phone March 21, 2011, 2:47 PM

Be glad of lifestyle since it gives you the opportunity to really like, to work, to play, and to seem up at the stars.

lg phone March 21, 2011, 2:56 PM

thanks for this awesome post

buy ereader March 21, 2011, 3:39 PM

I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here. The sketch is attractive, your authored material stylish. nonetheless, you command get got an impatience over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly again since exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this hike.

head shop March 21, 2011, 4:04 PM

I must say that this post is the most relevant article I’ve ever read and saw. It’s a great help to everyone who is looking for this information.

hearing loss treatment March 21, 2011, 10:20 PM

Super-Duper site! I am loving it!! Will be back later to read some more. I am bookmarking your feeds also

זקוקים לטיפול זוגי ועוד תוכלו לקבל עזרה מאנשי מקצוע מקצועיים בתחום זה.

health dental March 22, 2011, 4:37 AM

Hmmm for some reason only half the post can be seen. I tried reloading but still same.

credit March 22, 2011, 4:38 AM

nice! i can tell this was important! good job!