Edward Cullen Won't Have Sex with You

Edward Cullen is an amazing boyfriend. Super strong, super fast, gorgeous, smart, and devoted to Bella. He's dangerous, but good underneath. He also won't have sex.

robert pattinson

Diana Landen: How did a sexually abstinent vampire become the idol of American teens and their mothers? We grew up after the Sexual Revolution. Most Americans no longer expect to wait until marriage before they have sex. So why do we love Edward Cullen?

The life of a teenage girl is confusing. You're full of hormones, and lust for boys. You want love, and you want the boys to want you -- except that you keep meeting the jerks.

I remember J. -- who yelled out the window that I was frigid because I wouldn't make out with him. J. was unattractive, but of course I couldn't say that. I might have hurt his feelings.

Or T., who made it clear that he knew how to give me an orgasm, but wasn't going to unless I had sex with him. Alternatively, he'd be glad to accept some oral sex. None for me, though -- giving it to a girl was gross. When I turned down his fabulous offer, he went on to the next girl at the party.

Enter Edward Cullen. Edward craves Bella's blood. Not just anyone's blood, Bella's luscious-smelling blood. But he loves Bella so much that he won't drink it. He won't do much more than kiss her either, for fear he'll be carried away.

Edward isn't pressuring Bella to do things that she doesn't want to. He desires Bella, not just anyone with the proper girl-parts. He cares about her and what happens to her. Assuming teenage boys haven't radically changed, Edward Cullen looks pretty damn good.

Of course, most guys aren't jerks. It's just that the jerks get around, and we all meet them sooner or later.

Still, when I was a teenager, you had to watch out with the decent guys, too. They would never push you to do something you didn't want to do, but they would do everything you let them. I was in charge of stopping things and being careful. I had to think about what I was ready for, how far I really wanted to go, and getting pregnant.

I would have loved the freedom of making out with Edward Cullen. To know that I could lose control because he was going to stop me ... That's a gift young women don't usually get.

So I understand the appeal of Edward Cullen -- an absolutely gorgeous guy who comes into your room at night and holds you all night long. He wants you more than anything, but he's not going to pressure you or use you. You can show him how much you desire him, even lose control, because he's not going to let you do anything too dangerous. That's the kind of vampire every girl needs.

next: 'Biggest Loser' Winner: 'I Worked My Tail Off'
Pamala December 9, 2009, 9:01 AM

“Edward isn’t pressuring Bella to do things that she doesn’t want to.”

Have you read the books. He spends them making her do all sorts of things she doesn’t want to do. He certainly isn’t someone to be looked up to at all. The only reason he doesn’t have sex with her is because he’ll kill her, not because he respects her or the institution of marriage.

Caroline Wescott December 9, 2009, 10:04 AM

He also doesn’t exist. This fictional vampire is so popular because there are a lot of lonely and ugly teens out there who thinks there is actually hope that someone will ever love them unconditionally without being good looking or talented. I love it..I just freaking love it!

HPFangirl71 December 9, 2009, 10:07 AM

Have you read the books…?? Edward finally agrees to sex with Bella but only after she marries him… he claims that the only pure part of him is his sexual experience and he wants it to remain pure, so its Edwards decision to wait for marriage not Bellas. The one pressuring Bella throughout the whole bk series is Jacob cuz he is a redblooded all american boy… he kisses Bella without her consent, then pressures her into kissing him again, threatening to do himself harm if she doesnt. Also he has tons of sexual fantasies about his beloved Bella that poor Edward has to be privy to. He is the one who convinces Bella to skip school to leave with him and he has the idea to run away together in New Moon… please Edward is a saint and Im not even sure Bella was worth it all… I Love both guys but please if ur going to retaliate then get all the facts straight!! By the way I am a twihard mom not a kid writing this to you!! thanks for listening…♥

lyz December 9, 2009, 10:10 AM

ha! I’ll accept death as a reason not to have sex. If I were a mom I’d be pushing Twilight all up on my teens.

Although, Edward is pretty creepy and stalkerish…

Anonymous December 9, 2009, 10:12 AM

I have read the books and there is nothing but pressure from Edward to do what he wants her to do. He segregates her from family and friends. He makes her feel bad for having natural craving for sex. And the first responder was correct -the only reason he doesn’t want to pressure her for sex is because he’ll kill her. He even pressures her to marry him saying that is the only way he will have sex with her.

get a grip December 9, 2009, 11:20 AM

obviously some of the commenters are a bit too invovled in the book. what the author of this article is saying is exactly on par with the caliber of the books; these are about teenage romance and appealing to teenagers, especially teenage girls. nobody in the intended audience is analyzing these books for deep underlying themes or ideas. the readers just like reading about a dreamy boyfriend.

Pamala December 9, 2009, 12:39 PM

I guess I find it hard to see him as a dreamy boyfriend. He’s controlling, hurtful, and mean frankly. I don’t see how this is something someone wants in a man. Maybe teenage girls are morons or something.

briellis December 9, 2009, 2:03 PM

Bella suffers an emotional breakdown when Edward leaves her in New Moon. I don’t see why we should be encouraging teen girls to desire this sort of relationship.

These books are ridiculous anyway.
What ever happened to teen girls reading Bronte or Austen?

Pam December 10, 2009, 9:50 PM

My guess is that Bronte and Austen didn’t have Edward lol

Seriously… literature changes with the times. Right now girls are crushing on Edward from the Twilight Saga. Soon they will move on to something else.

On a personal level I enjoyed the books as did my 16 year old daughter. My 14 year old however isn’t allowed to read or watch the movies because I feel the content is graphic enough that she can wait a few more years.

My 16 year old daughter however told me straight out that while she enjoyed the read she felt it was all unreal to her. That’s not how boys act and she found nothing real in any of it. I asked her if there was such a person as Edward would she feel differently. “Get real mom! That’s not the real world we live in!”

We have young girls killing themselves due to this new sexting thing on the cell phones. Are we really worried over a series that is fake? Or should we be focused more on our own kids and what they might be doing in the real world that could be hurting them?

Robin K December 11, 2009, 12:44 PM

Edward Cullen is 104 years old——not exactly a teenager. Maybe our teenage girls should only date octogenarians or older. They might want more, but they just don’t have the energy!

mercaties December 11, 2009, 9:22 PM

Oh please, if Edward could have sex with Bella without killing her he would. Jacob is the one that’s a horn dog. Personally, I have not read the books but I have seen both the movies and I can not wait for the third one to come out.

Twilight biggest fan!<33 December 12, 2009, 10:55 AM

OMG! THIS IS STUPID K?! EDWARD IS THE MOST ROMANTIC GUY IM DA WORLD AND FOR ALL YOU OLD MOMS OUT THERE U SHOULDNT HAVE A SAY IN THIS IF YOU DNT NOE WAT U ARE TALKING ABOUT AND FOR THAT DUMBO HEAD THAT DOES NOT LET THEIR OWN 14 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER WATCH TWILIGHT CUZ ITS TOO GRAPHIC IS SERIOUSLY STUPID SHE IS 14 4 CRYING OUT LOUD SHE PROBABLY ALREADY HAD SEX! ANY WAYS ROBERT PATTINSON IS SEXY!

Twilight biggest fan!<33 December 12, 2009, 10:56 AM

Twilight biggest fan!<33 December 12, 2009, 10:58 AM

Twilight biggest fan!<33 December 12, 2009, 10:59 AM

Twilight biggest fan!<33 December 12, 2009, 10:59 AM

isabella wills December 16, 2009, 7:17 AM

i think that’s all edward thinks about is pressuring bella into having sex with him so he can kill her…..but i’m not 100% sure so im not saying any more!!!

I LOVE JACOB BLACK MORE THAN EDWARD

isabella wills December 16, 2009, 7:19 AM

THIS IS ALL STUPID…..EDWARD IS NOT LIKE THAT HE DON’T PRESSURE ANY ONE INTO ANY THING SO SHUT UP LOSERS

S.H. January 3, 2010, 2:58 AM

Ah, yes. I was wondering when I would see the ONOEZ EDWARD IS LYKE OH EM GEE SO 1DERFUL!!!!!!!!!!111111!!!! Well, Twilight fans… You aren’t allowed to properly judge literature until you learn how to spell! So, until then, everything you say is null and void. Dumbo head… what are you, five?!

heather April 26, 2010, 11:34 PM

in all honesty there all messed up in the books! but that is the point. Edward is based off a guy that would have been a young man in the early 1900’s and is for the most part psychologicaly stuck in that time.dose Edward get turned on like any other guy ..shur…but in that time young men would have been expected to be more respectful of young ladys..which he is to Bella very much so…ok ok the whole “murder her thing” and the “sitting in her room to watch her sleep” is that normal? far from it…but it is a book on…ohhh yeah “VAMPIRES” its not supposed to be normal..i will be the first to admit it scares me how little girls think its romantic,cause it is not. it’s just a story…for the most part i get from it Edwards character in particular, a story about not haveing to live up towhat your cercumstances are telling you to…ie..he’s supposed to be a monster right? yet he risks everything to not live like one even though it pains him not to do it the easy way…that is all..no romance…for me anyway!