Neglecting the 'Me' in Me Time

As I lay on the table, getting my face exfoliated and peeled with acid, I wondered to myself, how could I let this happen?

tired woman

Dr. Sophia Grant: I never needed to be coiffed routinely or waxed and massaged, but I did take care of myself. I did try to take care of myself and look attractive. I worked out. I did things to make myself look and feel attractive. But it had been two years since my last facial and months since I did anything resembling physical activity. I asked the question so many women have asked themselves: How could I let myself go? Before I got off the table, I wondered what else the esthetician could do to my face to get rid of my complacent sludge. Easy Off? A BLOW TORCH?

I guess it started with the stress at work. I got a major pay cut and was forced to work outside my desired area of expertise. Add to the mix three busy kids, a dog, husband, house and bills and there you have an energy-sucking scenario. Just coming home, fixing dinner (sometimes) and dealing with the family was all I could handle.

Work out? Jog? Are you kidding me? Let's be honest. I do hate exercise. I have never been athletic. I never got the Presidential fitness award in elementary school. After trying all forms, I decided that jogging was the best thing for me. Aerobics required too much coordination, the treadmill made me feel like I was going nowhere fast, and the elliptical, well that just made me nauseous, like I was walking on one of those suspension bridges you see in a "Raiders of the Lost Ark" movie. I even hated yoga. It just reminded me of my inadequacies in slow motion.

So I'm back in my sneakers again. It takes so much to get me out the door: Ankle support. Knee brace. Jogging bras (I wear two), water, cell phone and ID. I start off slowly, peak slowly, but do try to finish with my "little burst." I have neither hit the wall nor gotten the high that runners speak of. This would be so much easier if I just got that high. I made the foolish mistake of trying to jog with my dog. She's an 88 pounder who is capable of pulling me. Get her into a little trot and she's off. I stopped when I nearly fell for the third time on our little jog. She needs to run with a Kenyan, not me.

I'm trying to take care of me. I know that exercise is not the only thing, but along with quiet time and occasional pampering, it is, quite literally, a first step.

next: Duggar Baby Born Prematurely Due to Pregnancy Complication Preeclampsia
Anonymous December 12, 2009, 4:53 AM

“When not doctoring, Dr Grant spends her time being a wife and mother of three wonderful children.”
Listing her children last on her list?
Seems Dr. Grant is taking care of her needs more than the average Mom, who truly is last on her own list of people to care for.
The average Mom usually lists her children’s needs being of 1st importance. Close 2nds are her spouse, house, job, co-workers, neighbors, etc.
If/when us Mom’s go to salon appointments, it comes with much guilt. Unfortunately, Dr. Grant did not touch on this.

m December 12, 2009, 7:47 AM

why are commenters so mean and judgmental on this site?

MRS December 12, 2009, 12:05 PM

Who’s to say what an “average” mom does? I see nothing wrong with how her bio is written.

Rachel December 12, 2009, 5:24 PM

Oh, “anonymous,” get over yourself! Quit trying to read between the lines. Obviously, you’re not very good at it anyway.

whitnye December 12, 2009, 9:08 PM

Why should a mom have to feel guilty for going to the salon?? And she didn’t say those were her priorities in a specific order..some people are too analitical!

whitnye December 12, 2009, 9:09 PM

Anonymous December 13, 2009, 5:54 PM

I totally agree with m, nearly every comment on this site is nasty. What’s wrong with you mothers, haven’t you heard the saying “if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all”

michelle December 14, 2009, 9:20 AM

I think you’re awesome, Dr Grant, for actually taking that step and doing something good for yourself. It is great for your children to see you do this, by the way — as we all know, there is NO value in being a martyr. I also think you’re amazing for pursuing your career — especially one that is so altruistic. The only suggestions I would make are (1) to get as much help as you can at home (why should you or I need to make dinner every night when a perfectly good husband is right there?) and (2) if you’re not making what you deserve and are working too hard at something that does not do it for you professionally, then you should feel free to walk away!

maeby December 14, 2009, 2:07 PM

i feel the exact same way. between three kids, husband, and work there is not enough time to relax. i haaaate exercising as well, never get the runners high either! maybe they make special shoes for that? ;)

also: i have noticed that this site has a lot of nasty comments by some bitter mothers, its why i hardly come here. so much ugliness for no good reason.

Immobilier Bretagne March 7, 2011, 4:32 AM

Oh my goodness! an amazing article dude. Thank you Nonetheless I’m experiencing situation with ur rss . Don’t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anybody getting an identical rss problem? Anyone who is aware of kindly respond. Thnkx