From Producer to PTA

I remember it well. It was a crisp morning in February. I found myself walking hand-in-hand with my daughter to our first mommy-n-me toddler class.

mom with toddler

Flying Solo with Two Carry-Ons: As I crossed the busy parking lot, I witnessed mothers rushing to get their kids to school on time. One mom was barking at her preschooler to hurry along, while the poor child was crying ... screaming that she didn't want to go. Another mom was frantically quizzing her third grader minutes before the spelling test.

Suddenly, I stopped in my tracks. It was at that very moment that I realized ... I was now one of "those" women. You know the type ... stay-at-home moms. Instead of wearing the latest trends, they wear khakis and a T-shirt, which usually has stains. And forget designer shoes; they're in Keds. No power lunches for these ladies -- they're sitting through playdates.

I sat through the two-hour class trying to make small talk. I thought to myself, "I have nothing in common with these women. They're moms and, well, I ... am a producer." Technically, I was clearly a mom. I quit my job producing for a nationally syndicated show about a year earlier to raise my family.

I started having flashbacks to my previous life ... images of me traveling the globe ... chasing down Michael Jackson, O.J. Simpson, and Tonya Harding. I even escaped certain death while covering a story on the "killer" Kern River. Wow, those were exciting times.

Suddenly, my journey down memory lane crash-landed in reality-ville when a toddler, who was awkwardly trying to stand up, smeared his freshly painted green hand on my designer jeans. Who am I?!

For days and weeks afterward, I was tortured by this question as I obsessed over it. I was having an identity crisis. For 14 years, I was a writer and producer. Now I'm a mom? What's up with that?

I called my support system -- two of my closest friends who, like me, quit producing to stay at home with their kids. They just laughed at me and welcomed me to the club. The advice I received ... "Just tell yourself you're a producer who is taking a hiatus to work on a personal project." Gee, thanks.

So after diving into a pint of Rocky Road, I decided to give it a try. That was four years ago.

I now happily "produce" the annual school jog-a-thon and the best darn birthday parties around. The other room moms have nothing on me, and my people skills have landed me a seat on the PTA board two years in a row. As for writing ... I can come up with one mean newsletter.

I'll have you know, this is truly the best career move I ever made. I can't imagine ever doing anything else. Now, it's all about comfort. Uggs have replaced my Jimmy Choo's. And who cares if I have a cute little thumbprint of paint on my clothes? I'm working on the best production in the world, and my ratings are measured with hugs and kisses.

Now all I need ... is a raise.

next: Salahis: 'We Were Invited, Not Crashers'
Bejewell December 1, 2009, 9:03 AM

I’m on the other side of that coin, the dreaded “working mom” — but my kid is still my most important production, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. (And my “working mom” status doesn’t make me any more fashionable than you, trust me — she says as she sits at her cubicle desk in khakis and keds.)

tennmom December 1, 2009, 10:32 AM

I haven’t missed my career for a minute since becoming a SAHM when I was pregnant with my now 11 year old daughter. I love being available for her and my 9 year old daughter.
I plan to stay home until my 11 year old is old enough to drive herself and her sister to school.

Kate December 1, 2009, 10:49 AM

I never understand articles like this. I work part time in the field that I like, and go to school full time during the week. My 3 year old loves preschool, and he’s a happy, healthy and well behaved kid. I do all of this while my husband and I make well below the medium income level for our area. I don’t understand why people with more resources than me seem to think they can’t find a balance between work and home life and they have to make a choice between work and parenthood. Besides, lets not forget that most mothers in America don’t have a choice to be a SAHM. They HAVE to work.

Mitchell Sharrai February 1, 2011, 3:46 PM

Keep functioning ,splendid job!

David Gaestel February 20, 2011, 6:25 PM

Hello. magnificent job. I did not imagine this. This is a splendid story. Thanks!

Jalisa Steffes February 24, 2011, 4:23 AM

Well I definitely enjoyed reading it. This tip offered by you is very helpful for proper planning.

meet tokyo friends February 25, 2011, 3:29 PM

There are some interesting points in time therein clause but I dont know if I see all of them heart to center . There is some validity but I will hold legal opinion until I look into it further. Good clause, thanks and we want more! Added to FeedBurner as well.

praca February 26, 2011, 6:22 PM

We’re a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your web site provided us with valuable information to work on. You have done an impressive job and our entire community will be thankful to you.

program tv February 27, 2011, 5:39 AM

Excellent work once again. Thank you!

praca February 27, 2011, 12:09 PM

Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to more added agreeable from you! However, how could we communicate?

Nicky Hellyer February 27, 2011, 8:48 PM

I love this article very much. I’ll definitely be back again. Hope that I will be able to examine more informative posts then. Is going to be sharing your wisdom with all of my associates!

Zahnaufhellung February 28, 2011, 7:54 AM

Well crafted post, properly researched as well as useful for myself in the future.

StarCraft 2 Guide March 1, 2011, 3:08 AM

I just added this feed to my bookmarks. I have to say, I very much enjoy reading your blogs. Thanks!

watercooling March 1, 2011, 3:28 AM

Could not be written any better. Looking over this post jogs my memory of my old room partner! He often kept discussing this!

Nichol Eichenauer March 1, 2011, 5:24 AM

Was the site down yesterday? I couldnt access while on my lunch time break at 12:30pm the other day (im in the Uk) just thought I’d let you know! Possibly my pc though!

space saver bags March 1, 2011, 7:47 AM

Great publish, thank you a lot for sharing. Do you have an RSS feed I can subscribe to?

watercooling March 1, 2011, 1:07 PM

Many thanks for sharing this great piece. Once again rather inspiring.

StarCraft 2 Guide March 2, 2011, 10:31 PM

I would like to consider the chance of saying thanks to you for the professional assistance I have continually enjoyed checking out your site. I will be looking forward to the particular commencement of my college research and the entire prep would never have been complete without coming over to your web site. If I could be of any help to others, I would be glad to help by means of what I have learned from here.

Aquarium einrichten March 4, 2011, 6:30 AM

I’d like to thank you for the particular efforts you might have created written this post.

Oren Tease March 5, 2011, 9:06 AM

I love this post a lot. I’ll certainly be back. Hope that I can go through more insightful posts then. Will be sharing your wisdom with all of my friends!