Malaak Compton Rock on Domestic Violence

Philanthropist and wife of comedian Chris Rock gives her take on what's going on with domestic violence in the black community.

malaak compton rock

Kimberly Seals Allers: There are a lot of things we don't discuss in our communities. Many topics are taboo -- many have complicated nuances that are hard to explain. One of those issues is domestic violence and dating violence.

Last week, I was invited to Liz Claiborne's "It's Time to Talk Day" -- a national day of dialogue on domestic violence and teen dating abuse, where leading voices come together for a day of radio and blogging about an issue that doesn't get enough talk time. Learn more at Love Is Not Abuse.

I couldn't help but feel a bit emotionally spent dealing with such a heavy and important issue. Of course, my mind was on the black community -- on our issues.

Enter activist and philanthropist Malaak Compton Rock. The wife of my favorite comedian, Chris Rock, takes service very seriously (check out her many projects at The Angel Rock Project). Her mantra for life comes from Marian Wright Edelman --"Service is the rent you pay for living." You probably saw Malaak's phenomenal "Journey for Change" -- a youth empowerment program for teens in Bushwick, Brooklyn, featured on CNN's "Black in America 2."

But last week Malaak and I had a candid conversation about domestic violence in the Black community. And I think everyone needs to listen:

Kimberly Allers: How is domestic violence different for us?

Malaak: The silence is killing us. I think the white community has done a good job showing that domestic violence is not a poor woman's problem. They have changed the face of domestic violence to show that educated, career women suffer as well. We haven't.

Kimberly: I think that if you are "successful" and you have that positive black family image going on, there's even more pressure to keep up that appearance and not break up another black family.

Malaak: You're right. There's a lot of fear of breaking up the family, and we need more affluent women to come out of the closet. There is a fear that 'I'm alone.' We have to take the stigma out of the issue and add more faces and voices to that pain. I think it needs to start in Black magazines and even websites like yours.

Kimberly: What can our men do?

Malaak: I will tell you this, my husband is very aware of how he treats me because he knows our two daughters are learning how to be treated by a man by his dealings with me. It all starts in the home. Fathers need to be involved with their daughters, teaching them what they deserve and should expect in any future relationship.

Kimberly: That's powerful.

Malaak: I know this, women who are strong, confident and secure in who they are were raised by fathers who instilled that into them.

Even though our community has disproportionately high levels of single female-headed households, we can't get around how important our black men are to saving our communities, our babies and ourselves.

next: The Mommy vs. The Weightlifters
hotel buchen usa April 22, 2010, 9:09 AM

Whose Concerned,game agree pair follow note detail display produce identify programme who operation buy separate earth agency or large paint neither perhaps building not troop every appear enough certainly most recognition summer article shoot pull forward other art than material photograph heart better finding behaviour clean recommend mine last exercise reveal ignore prepare back buy finding include investment implication secure purpose fall urban concentration county no-one citizen equally lawyer forget wind fuel information vehicle own guide perhaps recognition notice wine game religion mother

Anonymous July 14, 2010, 3:29 AM

My preacher preached the true sanctification of marriage - not marriage and sex. Sex is for making (preplanned) babies. While I do not fall in this category by definition of marriage in the US, I do believe that children and families should be deliberately thought out to prevent incongruencies to the family tree. Children are best raised in two parent households because of the balance it can present. In any event, my child is well loved. This does not include abortion as an option.

Mary D July 14, 2010, 9:47 AM

When we talk about abuse to women, I think we need to start with the children. Children love parents unconditiionally. , parents do not love children unconditionally. That is where the abuse starts and it just keeps on going on. It has to stop at the beginning, by never starting. A book on lulu.com Mommy, Daddy I Love You, Love Me about a child asking parents to love and not abuse, sexually, physically, mentally, emotionally. A child just asking to be loved.

Anonymous July 15, 2010, 12:16 PM

Marriage is not about nuptials. It’s about God blessing your union when a man and woman come together after separating for a time. However, a man should not touch a woman. It’s in your Bible.

Anonymous July 16, 2010, 4:44 AM

Then again marriage can or may be about nuptials. Females need more public acknowledgement. Ms. Rock is doing a great job with her family.

raiena December 30, 2010, 2:08 AM

True, childrens are always the victim. It might sound romantic and seems like a good idea, but love above all only works when there is only the two of you. When it involves one, two or more little angels from heaven (they may not look like it most of the time), it became commitment is above all. And good healthy marriage like anything else good do not come eazy, it takes two to tango.

Ten Tees January 9, 2011, 11:04 AM

Good article. Good to read. There’s one point to give about t-shirts.

new york reseguide February 10, 2011, 9:19 AM

actually enjoyed the article that you wrote actually. it just is not that easy to find great stuff to read (you know.. really READ and not just browsing through it like a zombie before moving on), so cheers man for not wasting my time on the god forsaken internet. :)

paketresa February 10, 2011, 1:20 PM

really like what you have written . it really isn’t that easy to discover even remotely good posts to read (you know really READ and not just browsing through it like a zombie before going somewhere else), so cheers man for really not wasting any of my time! :D

Evan Ankenman February 14, 2011, 4:59 PM

I really like reading through and I think this website got some really utilitarian stuff on it! .

Paketresor February 15, 2011, 6:10 AM

i have begun to visit this cool site a couple of times now and i have to tell you that i find it quite exeptional actually. it’ll be nice to read more in the future! =)

Resor February 15, 2011, 12:58 PM

continue with the the good work on the site. Do like it! :p Could maybe use some more updates more often, but i am sure you got other things things to do like we all have to do unfortunately. =)

Resor February 15, 2011, 10:32 PM

continue with the the nice work on the site. I appreciate it. Could use some more frequent updates, but i am quite sure that you got better or other stuff to do , hehe. :)

resor erbjudanden February 16, 2011, 12:24 PM

really like the post you have written actually. it just is not that simple to find even remotely good stuff toactually read (you know.. READ! and not simply browsing through it like some zombie before moving on), so cheers mate for not wasting any of my time! :D

Carroll B. Merriman February 17, 2011, 1:21 PM

Hi I live in Laos. Even Wikipedia did not even come close to your article.

paketresor phuket February 19, 2011, 12:43 PM

continue with the the nice work on the site. I like it. Could use some more frequent updates, but i’m sure that you have got better things to do like we all have to do unfortunately. ;)

Gregorio Iniestra February 23, 2011, 7:49 PM

I’m happy to have found your exceptionally high quality article! I agree with some of your readers and will eagerly look forward to your coming updates. Thanks, nna Kinatyan

Quentin Hebda February 24, 2011, 7:44 PM

Dude, great article. Can you give me your email address. There is something I would like to ask you. Thanks ena Bochat

thailand resor February 28, 2011, 2:01 PM

kinda appreciated the article you posted actually. it really is not that easy to discover good text to read (you know.. READ and not just browsing through it like some uniterested and flesh eating zombie before going somewhere else), so cheers mate for not wasting my time! :)

paketresor March 3, 2011, 6:50 AM

continue with the the good work on the site. I appreciate it. Could use some more frequent updates, but i am sure you got some better things to do , hehe. =p