Observations from My Own Front Line

Amy Brenneman

Amy Brenneman: I don't really know what a blog is. Eight years ago, in the Stone Age of the Internet, before Facebook and Twitter and hearing about Iranian protesters in 140 character missives, we did an episode of "Judging Amy" in which Donna (hilarious eccentric) talked about her "blog." It was a laugh line. "What is a blog?" queried the non-eccentrics. Ah, crazy Donna.

Now I find myself embarking on this blogging journey of my own. So here we go. Some introductions, I suppose, are in order, and maybe what the hell I envision this little slice of Internet real estate to be. In 350 words or less, because we all have busy lives!

I am a mom. I am an actress in Hollywood. I am a wife, an artist, and a political activist. I am many things that don't always co-habitate neatly and create a "Sybil"-like experience for my family from time to time. I am a working mother balancing second-grade volunteerism with making it to work on time. It's true that sometimes my work involves getting naked with and kissing virtual strangers, but what the hell -- that's just an interesting side-aspect of the whole acting thing. It is also true that while wrangling a tantruming 4-year-old in Target, I get to contend with curious onlookers saying, "Where do I know you from?" It's a cognitive challenge, let me tell you, to run through a resume while prying chubby, vice-like fingers from a bag of Reese's Pieces.

I'm also a seeker. It's not for nothing that I studied Comparative Religion in college -- the spiritual quest has been at the center of my life for as long as I can remember. I am a meaning junkie. I love learning about how other people find meaning -- the glorious myths, the personal constructs, the faiths that they cling to when life is tough. So I may write about that from time to time. I've had several title ideas for this -- "Looking for God in All the Wrong Places," "Spiritual Orgasms," "Enlightenment at the Diaper Genie" -- you get the idea. In my twenties I sat with lamas in the Himalayas. Now I sit with Thomas the Tank Engine. Both are holy. All of it is holy. All of it -- the carpool lanes, the tantrums, the quickies with my husband before the kids figure out where we are, the fertility treatments, the sitting in the hair chair for the third straight hour, the driving home from work at four in the morning listening to Roseanne Cash -- all of it is holy, if I allow it. I challenge any lama to see his practice is more rigorous.

So that's me. Thanks for reading, and for joining me from time to time as I get things off my chest, rant a bit, observe a lot, and feel your community around me. The beauty of the Internet is realizing how much community we share. I thank you for sharing yours with me.

next: The Health Risks for Preemies
Wendi December 11, 2009, 5:59 AM

Can’t wait to read more. I love watching you. I have even got my hubby liking your shows.

Kathryn December 11, 2009, 1:56 PM

Excellent first post, Amy! And welcome to the blogosphere.

Jay00789 December 11, 2009, 1:58 PM

Yay! Can’t wait for more! Especially if we get to the “Spritual Orgasm.” Sounds…enlightning?

Kate21 December 11, 2009, 2:01 PM

Can I just say that you write in a way that is captivating. I truly enjoy reading what you have to say, it’s entertaining and even interesting, in the same measure. Keep this up!You are also very whimsical!

By the way, I remember that Judging Amy episode! T’was hilarious, that crazy Donna.

Lala December 11, 2009, 2:02 PM

why did it take so long to you write on a blog?
140 characters are not enough…
love from brazil!

Lala December 11, 2009, 2:03 PM

why did it take so long to you write on a blog? 140 characters are not enough… love from brazil!

Nineveh A. December 11, 2009, 2:12 PM

I remember that Judging Amy episode too. Btw, I miss JA. I miss it a ton! Looking forward to reading more posts.

Nineveh

Carmen December 11, 2009, 2:22 PM

Can’t wait to read your next blog. You can do so much with 140 characters

Etienne December 11, 2009, 2:38 PM

Wow amazing first post..I enjoyed reading alot and “Spiritual Orgasms”..hummm your thoughts on that would be interesting :) - A fan from Brazil.

milena pessoa December 11, 2009, 2:43 PM

welcome to “blogsphere” ;)
you’ve done great on more than 140 characters!
thanks for sharing!

milena pessoa December 11, 2009, 2:50 PM

you’ve done great on more than 140 characters!
thanks for sharing!

*love from brazil

Indi December 11, 2009, 2:50 PM

Can’t wait for more! Amy, you are so amazing. I’m still watching JA (for me the best show EVER)and of course I love PP!!! :)

I really hope you will visit Berlin/Germany one day…

Jennifer December 11, 2009, 2:59 PM

I love reading people’s blogs. You are a delightfully funny person. Cannot wait to see where Private Practice goes this season. Take care!

PS: I just did an entire research project on Cornerstone Theatre Company and Bill Rauch for my senior contemporary theatre class. ;-)

Meredith December 11, 2009, 3:02 PM

Inspiring! Can’t wait to read what is to come.

Rachel  December 11, 2009, 3:10 PM

Oh, Amy, I can’t wait to read more. I love that you’re a bit dysfunctional. You’ve succeeded in making me laugh on multiple occasions with your 140 characters on Twitter and I’m excited (and a little nervous) to see what you can do with more. All right…rambling over. (See…this is what twitter does to me. It makes me feel so free when I don’t have to keep it to 140 characters that I just go on and on and on.) All right. Really done now. =]

Love ya,
~Rachel

Luc Caczan December 11, 2009, 3:15 PM

Amy, you’re so intelligent. I’m so proud to be a fan of a celebrity’s who is not only artistically talented, but also human. A mother, just like me, who struggles to give her kids the best. Love you even more.

Lucy

Alina December 11, 2009, 3:27 PM

Llama’s and ranting. You just nailed two things ridiculously close to me.

I am intrigued with what you have to come.

Liza December 11, 2009, 4:11 PM

Amy:

I LOVE that you majored in religious studies at Harvard. I am a Roman Catholic theologian who appreciates your musings. Keep it up! You remind me of Ann Lamont.
God’s grace is everywhere!

Jeremy December 11, 2009, 4:13 PM

Words, thoughts, and truths such as yours should never be limited to 140 characters. Keep it up, and I can’t wait to read more.

Yasmine December 11, 2009, 4:45 PM

I LOVE it! You have a great connection with the audience here and even I can relate. Not that I’m a parent or old but because Im a writer, blogger, and an obsessive-compulsive internet user. I can’t wait to read more.