Oklahoma Couple Want to Return Troubled Adopted Son to State

Good Morning America: Melissa and Tony Wescott are afraid of their son. They're so afraid of the boy they adopted that they're trying to have Oklahoma law changed so that they can return him to the state's care.

tonymelissa270.jpg
"He tried to burn our home down. The note said, 'I'm sorry you had to die,'" Melissa Wescott told "Good Morning America."

She said she and her husband have found butcher knives under his mattress and lights hidden in his bedroom.

The Wescotts' 11-year-old son has been locked up in a psychiatric hospital in Tulsa, Okla., for nearly a year. But now doctors say he's not a danger to himself or anyone else, and the boy is scheduled to be released from the hospital next month.

Despite the doctors' opinion, the Wescotts say they are so afraid of having him back home that Melissa plans to stay awake at nights while her husband sleeps.

Adopted Son Diagnosed with Several Mental Health Disorders

The trouble started shortly after the couple -- who couldn't have children of their own -- adopted the boy in 2007. His behavioral problems became so severe that he needed inpatient care.

Within a year of the adoption, the Wescotts told the Tulsa World, the child was diagnosed with reactive detachment disorder, disruptive behavior disorder, major depressive disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder and fetal alcohol syndrome.

The parents said the boy became violent toward other children and nonresponsive to adults, hurt and killed animals and ran away regularly, requiring help from police.

So they're trying to return him to the care of the state's Department of Human Services, but the state says adoptive parents should be treated no different from birth parents.

For more, go to Good Morning America.

Read more stories moms are talking about.

next: Brittany Murphy Vomiting Before Death; Prescription Drugs Found
Elizabeth December 21, 2009, 7:43 AM

This is absolutely terrifying. He sounds like a future serial killer. I hope he can receive help and get better. I wonder how this happened. Effects of his life before adoption? Or after? Both? Or is it in his genes?

casey December 21, 2009, 7:58 AM

In CA, adoptive parents can return kids to the state’s care. My neighbors had 4 teen and they adopted a 6 year old girl with problems. They had to return her to the state because she was uncontrollable and ruining their lives. She was late adopted by a single mother who could give her one on one attention. Rosie O’Donnell returned one of her adopted kids. The law needs to change in the state.

Jenny December 21, 2009, 11:21 AM

I agree with the state. If your child is born to you with these problems you don’t get to say “no put him back I changed my mind”. Parenthood comes with no guarantees, you just do the best you can with the hand that you are dealt. They chose to be parents , it doesn’t matter if it is through adoption.

I feel for them, I really do but there are many parents who have biological children with the same issues and don’t just dump them off on other people.

shelly December 21, 2009, 12:03 PM

Why don’t they just take him to Nebraska? I heard you can drop any kid off at the hospitals up there…

Jennifer December 21, 2009, 12:09 PM

I think the state has the resources to deal with a kid like this. It sounds like he was damaged by someone in his early life. I hate to say that he can’t be healed with the love of a family but it sounds like he is dangerous. He needs more help then these people are equipped to deal with.

Anonymous December 21, 2009, 1:25 PM

All the help in the world wont fix this kid. These parents are as good as dead if they take him back. He probly manipulated the system for them to say hes fine now.

GPC December 21, 2009, 2:46 PM

I think there should only be so much adoptive parents should have to tolerate. I’m not saying little things, but an adoptive child being a psychopath is an outrageous burden to place on someone who has taken in someone else’s child. If the State has such an issue, one of them should take this monster in. See how fast their attitude turns around. I don’t think these people are bad people…being terrified in your own home is horrible. Psychopaths are manipulative liars and I think this kid is scamming them. Anyone who feels they are in danger in their own home has a RIGHT to have the problem removed. I would not let the child harm myself or anyone I’m responsible for.

Anonymous December 21, 2009, 2:51 PM

Wow, I can’t believe this. I am an adoptive parent of a beautiful girl! Ive had her since she was six months old and she was born tox positive and has had severe breathing issues ever since! If her doctors told me at she needed severe mental help Id do it! I am considered her parent; It would be discusting and wrong to just give her back if I change my mind in five years! These people are the ones who took on the responsibilty to care for this child. They should care for him in all aspects: if he needs another psyc eval- get it, if he needs to be put in military school till he’s 18- do it!

DJ December 21, 2009, 6:51 PM

Are yÓu kidding me??!! He is a CHILD a living breathing HUMAN!! Not a broken doll that you are returning to Wal-Mart!! What is wrong with everyone! And you wonder why teens shoot up their schools or grow up to be monsters! Because the ADULTS that are RESPONSIBLE for them think that they are disposable! Seriously, and you all are probably the same group of folks that say NO to abortion! That its inhumane, BUT its okay to throw a grown child?! I think everyone seriously needs to think about what they are saying! So can I give my kids up? I change my mind too then!

DJ December 21, 2009, 6:52 PM

DT December 21, 2009, 8:59 PM

My parents adopted my brother back in 1950, when they were told that they would not be able to have children of their own. They went through with the adoption procedure and meet the young couple that would be giving up my brother right after the birth. However, Once my Mother met the father of the soon to be born baby, she had a bad feeling inside her gut. Something was just not right with this man. She tried expressing her feelings to my father at the time, but he was dead set on having this baby! All was well with the birth, and my parents took home “their little baby boy” I’m not sure when my parents actually found out the true background of this man who had impregnated this young girl, until a few years later when he was arrested for kidnapping a young boy and molesting him. I believe, that there were more instances that my parents wanted to admit. Anyways, I was born 5 years later, and my parents had the complete family. The older brother to look out over his younger sister. For years, my brother was my everything!! But then in High school he started to change, and then one day he was involved in a motorcycle accident that did not injure him, however, he hit a little boy who panicked after his ball rolled out into the street and m brother yelled to him to watch out!! At the Time, my brother was raising a classmate who was in a car and had turned down that one-way street. The boy was 8 yrs old and my brother hit him straight on. My brother stopped, picked up the little boy, saw the blood gushing from his head, got scared and took off. My brother was MIA for 2 days, before the kid that he was following down the wrong way street turned him in. It was the right thing for him to do, but by then, my brother was terrified! Once caught, he was secluded and turned into a different person from the day that the accident occured. That accident had triggered the onset of schizophrenia. The gene that his biological father possessed.
So, I believe that every child should be tested geneticaly., etc

Gee December 22, 2009, 8:03 AM

I completely agree with DJ. This child has some very very serious problems that were there before the adoption, caused by events before the adoption. With help, he can live a normal life and not grow up to be a serial killer. The more the adults and caregivers in his life let him down, the harder it is going to be for him to heal. That is when trouble will ensue.
Rosie O’Donnell did not return an adopted child. Mia was a foster child. There is a difference.