President Palin

There are allegations from many conservatives that Sarah Palin is not being treated fairly by the media.

sarah palin

Calvin Lowery: What is there not to like about Sarah Palin?

No matter who you are or your political affiliation, you cannot deny the fact that Sarah Palin is electrifying. However, in her short time in the limelight, this up-and-coming Republican star has had more drama than the "Desperate Housewives" season finale (my wife makes me watch it).

The people of Alaska elected Sarah Palin as their governor after her humble beginnings. There is a lot to be said about being born in Idaho to a school secretary and science teacher. It can't get much more American than that.

As a father of two beautiful daughters, I think that Palin's presence on the political scene is inspiring. She defies the preconceived notion that as a woman you must choose between career and family. Do not get me wrong, I totally understand that this is much more difficult for a woman to achieve as opposed to a man. I have a wife and witness it every day.

Interestingly, I believe that Sarah Palin is an intelligent woman. So, why is she going around pissing people off? Let's look at the campaign of "Change," one of the most impressive campaigns in recent years. President Obama had many controversial issues in his past. But he presented a campaign about hope, and refused to include the controversial issues as his talking points unless forced to do so. So, why is Sarah Palin consistently discussing how unfair the media is and the double standard she has been subjected to? I am not claiming that her allegations are not credible, but with the limited time you have to address the public, why waste your time making these points?

As a law student myself, I can tell you that all law students participate in some form of legal argument. Throughout your preparation, you learn that your time before your audience is limited, and instead of simply relying on point-for-point retaliations, you should advance the discussion to effectively advocate your position. Therefore, Palin's time would be better utilized if she explained to people why she is something more than a reality star, like Heidi and Spencer on "The Hills."

The most compelling evidence that Palin's camp is steering her wrong is the immediate fallout between her camp and McCain's camp following the election. Realistically, Republicans never believed that McCain had a chance. But embarking upon a graceful campaign and uniting the party for the next four years was the goal. However, at the end of the campaign, Palin managed to even divide her party.

The American people are tired of the drama in Washington, D.C. (drama with Bristol's baby daddy, the photographer who released her photo to Newsweek, etc.). Palin's best option is to show the American people that she can engage in political debate without name-calling, mud-slinging, and polarizing the public. This polarization is different from the polarization currently present in Washington -- because the current game plan for Republicans is to just oppose anything suggested by Democrats/Obama (interesting, I wonder where Palin got it from?).

This is what it boils down to:

Round one
will occur in 2012, which is when Obama will allow Joe Biden to resign and "spend more time with his family." Obama will then ask Hillary to become VP. The Obama ticket will then face a Republican ticket that will include Palin as VP. In my opinion, Clinton's reputation has strengthened since the Democratic primary. Clinton will crush Palin.

Round two will occur when Palin and Clinton face off as presidential candidates after Obama's second term. Here, if Palin is still explaining why America should not vote for Clinton, as opposed to discussing why America should vote for her, she will not stand a chance.

In conclusion, a piece of advice to Republicans, Palin fans, and Palin herself -- if Sarah Palin honestly wants to be in the White House, she needs to drop the drama and stick to the issues.

Leave the drama for prime time.

next: The Contest Is Real Beauty
arisma December 1, 2009, 2:17 PM

oh please. The only thing Palin has done is set feminism and social advancement back 50 years. And that is perhaps being generous.

chris December 1, 2009, 2:45 PM

Drama…let’s talk about flying off w/Oprah to try and get the olympics in Chicago, let’s talk about doing all the late night talk shows, lets talk about throwing the whole state of New York in a panic so you can get pictures of AirForce One over the New York skies. I could go on and on about how this president is nothing more than a media junkie himself. There is no way Obama will have another 4 years!!!

gigi December 1, 2009, 3:31 PM

maby when the media starts treating everyone the same and not be bias we all will stop talking about the treatment she has received from the media

Pamala December 1, 2009, 3:43 PM

LOL @ chris. I’m guessing you’re not used to a president who actually likes to keep the public informed. I think it’s good that we finally have a president willing to let us know what is going on with this nation. We spent 8 years with someone we rarely heard from. Oh also how funny is it that people are supposedly so patriotic but somehow it was wrong to try to get the Olympics to come to our nation. How odd.

I’m not sure what is wrong with Palin but she’s digging herself a hole for sure. And you’re correct, she needs to explain why she’s good for the country, not why the opponent is bad for the country. I think the public in general is tired of all the crap and all the hate. So just let us know what you’re about.

chris December 1, 2009, 3:54 PM

Wow Pamela, do you know what is in the health care bill? do you know what is in the cap and trade bill? You must be crazy if you think this president is keeping us informed or maybe you prefer to just go with the flow and not have a real thought for yourself.

Lauren December 1, 2009, 7:37 PM

Chris…. AWWWWWWWE…. do you know what FACTS are? CLEARLY not…. LOL. I see right through your comment. :) Sad.. You don’t have to like Obama… fine. But Palin… SERIOUSLY…. you are an utter FOOL if you vote for her or even consider her. You want to see Media Junkies go wild…. she’ll be the star! oops…. she already is! Get a clue CHRIS…. go form YOUR own opinion rather than watching FOX. LOL….. silly hater.

Todd December 1, 2009, 7:49 PM

If it wasn’t for Palin, how else could an Arab, Muslim, Communist, Black, Socialist, Nazi, Kenyan get elected President of the United States.

Sarah, the Dems love ya. You becha.

Amanda from Alaska December 1, 2009, 8:40 PM

I’m a right-leaning, fiscally conservative, socially moderate independent who has always voted Republican and planned to vote for McCain, but he lost my vote when he tapped Palin for V.P. I couldn’t vote for Obama, so I cast my first write-in vote ever.

My friend back East is a life-long Democrat who supported Hillary. When the Dems chose Obama, she told me she planned to vote for McCain. That changed when he chose Palin, and she ended up voting for Obama.

Palin may excite the base, but she alienates just about everyone else — including many conservatives. Choosing her for V.P. again — after what happened last time and all we have learned since — would be campaign suicide. Any Republican candidate to try it would be proving that he/she is too darn foolish to be POTUS.

bordway December 2, 2009, 8:38 AM

The things that make Sarah electrifying are her constant contradictions, exaggerations, mischaracterizations and fabrications.

michelle December 2, 2009, 8:43 AM

Ummm, Glenn, she NEEDS drama, because she has absolutely nothing substantive to add on the “issues.” Do you really think there’s some inner wonk just waiting to break through? After all the evidence we have that there’s nothing under the surface? I hate to break this to you, but all this faux controversy is not because her “camp” is steering her wrong. This is who she IS — Palin is not much of a policy person and has no real understanding of (or interest in) the issues. Not only was she badly unprepared during the campaign, but she has refused to use the time since the election to brush up. So of course she needs drama. Without it, she’d be back in Wasilla, busy misappropriating the city budget like she used to.

Pamala December 3, 2009, 10:22 AM

@Chris When you learn to read and spell correctly (my name in particular) then perhaps I’ll actually read your comments. It peeves me to no end when people can’t even take the time to properly spell another person’s name.

chris December 3, 2009, 1:32 PM

Maybe it was your momma who didn’t know how it spell it.

Anonymous December 4, 2009, 8:12 AM

whats not to like ?
you me aside from being a religious nut ?

Anonymous December 5, 2009, 8:38 AM

President O’bummer is probably behind all the Palin hype, just to keep the spotlight off of what a lousy job he is doing.

Jillian

Harley Kiddle February 11, 2011, 4:46 AM

There is obviously a lot to realize about this. I believe you made various nice points in features also.