So You Think You Can Dance: The Results

russell ferguson so you think you can dance

Meredith Hoffa: SYTYCD's season six results are in and I couldn't be more bonkers-thrilled. I cannot believe there is not some sort of parade I can partake in.

The final three contenders -- Russell, Jakob, and Kathryn -- all had the chops to be worthy of the title of America's Favorite Dancer (lamest title ever), but from the beginning of this season, it was Russell who really gave me major jazz hands. Is there anyone who doesn't love an underdog story? Here's a truly dear-seeming guy with little technical training who was the first krump dancer to ever make the top 20. So it was mind-blowing when he was able to pick up every style that was thrown at him, week in and week out, from pasodoble to lyrical jazz to Bollywood to samba. Plus, his ginormous smile has become one of my favorite sights ever; the guy has joy literally oozing out of his pores (and not in a scary-plastic Ashleigh and Ryan Di Lello kind of way). Plus I was just so floored by the grace with which he handled having to dance with a last-minute replacement partner for not one, not two, but three separate routines over the course of the season. Lord knows I will always cherish the profoundly awkward sight of him fox-trotting with Melanie Lapatin early in the season after his partner Noelle was sidelined with a knee injury. At the time, I remember starting to feel that familiar, rumbling wave of secondhand-embarrassment/pity/uncontrollable giggle meltdown approaching. I mean, it was just too ludicrous, the two of them dancing together -- it looked like Russell was dancing with his white friend's mom. BUT, when I saw the way Russell was pulling off the performance with such poise and class, my inner snark was immediately squelched. No giggles.

So, yeah, above all, I'm thrilled with Russell's win. Yet I'm also weirded out by last night's whole totally bizarre, crazypants broadcast. The two-hour finale extravaganza was like the beloved SYTYCD I know and love, yet slightly tweaked. Here are a few of the things I could have done without:

1) The Tappers -- I'm sure tap-dancing is very challenging blah blah blah, and perhaps it is even enjoyable to watch if you are 80 years old, but come on already. Nigel only invited the three hoofers into the top 20 in the first place so he could pat himself on the back and say "Hey, we brought in tappers, look how diverse SYTYCD is!" If you need any evidence of this, just look at how quickly all three were sent packing -- by the very judges who invited them on board with so much ado. Anyway, since these three had no right being in the top 20 in the first place, seeing them again last night was like adding insult to injury. Salt to a wound. Whathaveyou. Their Lawrence Welk-esque routine felt more out of place than ever because of the way it so starkly contrasted with the other competitors' eye-popping, dynamic, dangerous performances of late (Hi, I'm Legacy. I do front somersaults over tables). The tappers just looked more geriatric than ever. And don't even get me started on that creepy face they make when they dance, that face that seems to say, Hey, what am I doing on this stage? Hey, whoa, there goes my foot, what's my foot doing? Wuuuut.

2) Technical Difficulties -- I found myself so terribly anxious when the sound went out and the dancers were momentarily MIA, leaving poor Cat alone on the stage. I've never once seen the unflappable Miss Deeley at a loss, so it was disconcerting to have her thrown for a loop, even for a second. Because I adore her so, I associate with her heavily -- as if we are BFFs in real life and not just in my head -- and so when the glitch happened, I seriously felt a wave of panic. "Cat!" I wanted to shout. "Cat! Don't worry, I'm right here!"

3) "Turn the Tub Around" -- You know, Megan Mullally's commercial for I Can't Believe It's Not Butter? Um. OK.

4) Jennifer Lopez -- Wait, first of all, is she no longer J Lo? Second of all, I've always considered J Lo a talented performer and a tres beautiful lady, but somehow, last night her performance struck me as profoundly unsexy. I'm trying to put my finger on just why this was. Perhaps between the phone call to Santa (grown women wishing for things from Santa makes me squirm!), the massive Louboutin high heel, and the male backup dancers, which only served to give me flashbacks of Paula Abdul making her "comeback" last year on Idol when she fake-sang and got whisked around by all sorts of male dancer/butlers -- oh, and the furry lady Rockette dancers were funny! -- I think the whole spectacle of the performance just struck me as too over-produced. J Lo is lovely without all the bells and whistles.

Anyhoo, in the end, I think horny old uncle Nigel said it best: that the show's true winners are "this program, dance, and America." What a perfectly fitting way to end the season -- with a completely grand, nonsensical, sweeping, self-congratulatory, and yet patriotic statement. From a Brit. So -- hooray America. And hooray, of course, to Russell Ferguson, America's Favorite Dancer.

vewg December 19, 2009, 9:21 PM

months ago a friend told me a online dating site *******sugarloves.c o m where people are wealthy and they’re looking for companionship romance or love. ….maybe we can keep in touch and make friends on this site

Home Phone Service Providers In My Area November 24, 2010, 11:53 PM

The solution is to gradually become free of societal rewards and learn how to substitute for them rewards that are under one’s own powers. This is not to say that we should abandon every goal endorsed by society; rather, it means that, in addition to or instead of the goals others use to bribe us with, we develop a set of our own.

valium December 1, 2010, 3:48 PM

Hello! I just would like to give a huge thumbs up for the great info you have here on this post. I will be coming back to your blog for more soon.

Ge Ice Maker Not Working December 9, 2010, 11:53 AM

A little government and a little luck are necessary in life, but only a fool trusts either of them.

life insurance india online December 17, 2010, 12:56 PM

This is the great info. Thanks

slabit pastile December 27, 2010, 2:26 AM

I was beeing after the google for such info and i wanted to thank you for the post. BTW, just off topic, how can i get a copy of this theme? – Thank you

tabel calorii December 27, 2010, 4:45 PM

I have beeing trying to find the WWW for this info and just wanted to thank you for this post. By the way, just off topic, where can i get a copy of this theme? – Thank you

Lawrence Branton December 28, 2010, 2:59 PM

Of course, what a great website and instructive posts, I definitely will bookmark your blog.Best Regards!

cura slabire January 3, 2011, 4:32 PM

I have been scouring the Internet for this information and just wanted to thank you for this post. Also, just off topic, how can i get a version of this theme? – Thanks

Ten Tees January 8, 2011, 3:10 PM

Nice site! Enjoyable and fun reading. I’ve got a single opinion to offer about funny t-shirts.

Sperm Quantity Increase January 8, 2011, 3:11 PM

A semen fluid analysis evaluates some characteristics of a male’s semen volume and the amount of sperm contained in the semen fluid volume. It may be done while investigating a couple’s infertility or maybe after a vasectomy to verify that the procedure was done successful. It is also used for testing some donors for sperm donation. In the last few years it’s really possible to produce more semen fluid with absolutely safe and natural ways like taking natural pills from the various Internet shops. Sperm volume is the volume of sperm concentration of sperms in your seminal liquid. A variety of factors are taken into consideration to measure the ejaculation count of a each man for example the true length of time between ejaculations, semen sample analysis, how the sample is kept when being transported to the lab. Natural tablets is by far the most awesome natural and herbal formula that without doubt will increase greatly the amount of semen ejaculation liquid by as much as 500%. The amazingly leading herbal medication contains many native Mexican minerals, herbs and vitamins.

dieta disociata January 11, 2011, 6:06 PM

I was beeing scouring the google for such info and i wanted to thank u for the post. Also, just off topic, where can i find a copy of this theme? – 10x

light sheer duet białystok  January 13, 2011, 10:04 AM

THE BEST ARTICLE AT THE WORLD!

cennik styropianu January 14, 2011, 6:02 PM

Great job! nice articles!! congratulations from me!!

dark brown red hair color January 15, 2011, 1:49 AM

If at first you don’t succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.

Sally January 16, 2011, 1:02 PM

*Spot on with this write-up, I truly think this website needs much more consideration. I’ll probably be again to read much more, thanks for that info.

Fitness Info Tips January 18, 2011, 3:36 PM

Your home is valueble for me. Thanks!…

Duplo  January 20, 2011, 3:13 PM

Thank you for your post. I like it! Greetings!

hurtownia elektryczna January 21, 2011, 3:29 AM

THE BEST ARTICLE AT THE WORLD!

lampy łazienkowe sufitowe January 21, 2011, 2:37 PM

You are my favourite website, I read your articles everyday.