The Cost of the Wandering Eye of the Tiger

Disclaimer: I have no idea if the Tiger Woods affair rumors and allegations are true. I happen to think they are true, and I have an opinion. You can have one too. Here's mine ...

Tiger Woods

Danielle Hoston: I'll be honest. I'm not shocked that "Tiger" turned "Cheetah." I'm surprised that he was so damn stupid.

It's a well-known fact that wealthy athletes commonly cheat on their wives. Let's add the fact that Tiger is THE most recognizable (and first billionaire) athlete and ... well ... let's just say that most men couldn't handle that level of temptation.

I wonder how many suspicious eyebrows were raised at Elin Nordegren when Tiger married the one-time model/former nanny. I'm pretty sure that you could have audibly heard the "gold digger" and "prenup" whispers as she walked down the aisle. When I heard that Elin went psycho-wife with a golf club on Tiger's SUV over an alleged affair, I was secretly thrilled. If she was a bona fide gold digger, she would quickly have turned the other cheek when the rumors surfaced, and she certainly wouldn't have jeopardized any endorsement deals with a scandal. Of course, her silence could have also been interpreted as a wife that believed in the sanctity of marriage and chose to gracefully handle her husband's affair privately. But if you love your husband -- I mean REALLY love your husband -- then the idea of him flying skanky women to his golf tournaments around the world and sleeping with them would test the class and grace of any woman.

So I cheered for Elin's love and passion for her marriage, and just as I was ready to print my "Team Elin" T-shirt, she let me down. Her passionately-in-love broken heart seemed to have a fast cure ... Tiger's money. Elin Nordegren has reportedly already received a $5 million payout. Her $20 million prenup agreement may have been shortened from 10 to seven years, and may have had as much as a whopping $55 million added to it. In order to qualify for the prenup, she must be the "dutiful wife" and show up with Woods to social events. In addition, it's been rumored that she is prevented from ever telling her story. How romantic.

I guess my financial advice is directed at Tiger this week, since wives, mistresses, and affairs seem to be all about money:

1. Pay your mistress off before Us Weekly does. Seriously, how much can sexual favors and silence from reality show contestants and cocktail waitresses run nowadays? God knows they have to cost a lot less than Elin's forgiveness.

2. Current technology is far too advanced to hide affairs. Please don't provide evidence (texts, voicemails, pictures, etc.) to your mistresses that can actually be sold. Get a pager for you ... and for her.

In closing, I'm not mad at Elin. That's a whole lot of money. I am just a little disappointed and sad that her heart could be purchased at all.

How much would your husband have to pay you for an affair? Is there a price that would cure your broken heart?

next: Does Texting Harm Teens?
becca December 4, 2009, 11:45 AM

Who says that her heart is purchased. She may just thinking about what she can do to ensure she has financial security.

And Elin may have been a nanny but it seems her family was pretty well off. Her mom is a politician and her Dad is a radio show person.

becca December 4, 2009, 11:48 AM

What I mean is its possible it will be for show only, and there’s also the issue of the kids. Perhaps for her the prenup is a means of making sure that if Tiger doesn’t work out his issues, she can make sure he really pays now.

Julie December 4, 2009, 12:08 PM

I am disappointed that she would stay with him. Not only is she telling women that it’s ok that your significant other is cheating on you, but she’s also telling men it’s ok to cheat on your significant other; its easy, actually, just pay them off!

can’t wait to see how the kids turn out

Leeza December 4, 2009, 12:13 PM

Elin sold herself short by settling for a new prenup agreement. Financially, Elin and her 2 children (with Mr. Woody,) would reap the greatest financial rewards and benefits from a divorce settlement. Not only financial security for the rest of Elin and the childrens lives, but DIGNITY AND SELF RESPECT for the rest of Elin’s life. Elin can tell her story once divorced, with her head held high. She can stand for dignity,class and honorable values and pursuits that are to be admired by any woman that has been cheated on and lied to by their spouse. A role model that has chosen to take the high road. If Elin stays with Tiger, she will have eternal shame, regret and sadness, when she looks back on this dark point in her and her childrens life, caused by a selfish, spoiled and spineless coward named Tiger. Shame on you Tiger! You let everyone down. Your precious family and ALL your fans!

Pam December 4, 2009, 12:26 PM

celebrity wives: “it’s ok if he cheats on you, just make sure he pays you off, so you have that much more money for when he does it again” (because we ALL KNOW he will)

chris December 4, 2009, 1:27 PM

Im disappointed in Tiger but I’m not disappointed in Elin. I’m sure that her heart is breaking - just like his car windows - and staying with him is HER decision. Not mine or anyone else. A lot of people have affairs and when caught, will beg for forgiveness and most couples will stay together, hopefully working it out through counceling. It is not our place to judge anyone else marriage. As far as the money is concerned I see no reason not to take it. She may one day still divorce him and at least she will be able to support herself and her children.

Jenda December 4, 2009, 4:05 PM

I’m not disappointed in Elin, I would stay. He cheated, so what! People cheat all the time. Marraiges don’t break up because of infidelity. For those that are married know that there comes a time when things aren’t perfect. All marraiges go through rough patches. I’m sure she was aware of his way before she married him. No one is perfect and no marraige is perfect and if there is any couple claiming this is a LIE. Most people that are married will lie and act like things are Rosey but behind closed doors its a different matter. This situation needs to be behind closed doors and that’s it.
May I add…. Tiger was messing with some dumb, evil women. Wow!

tanya EVANS December 4, 2009, 4:12 PM

Shame on Elin… What is up with her? She missed his head by several feet!!! She needs to spend a little more time at the driving range… The price my husband would have to pay for cheating is the loss of his family and friends:)

Anonymous December 4, 2009, 4:16 PM

I would make him pay to the hilt go Elin!!!!

Beth Brown December 4, 2009, 5:57 PM

Turns out Tiger may have been cheating throughout the marriage—

With the women he saw—famous for getting around—hope they are both safe from serious diseases.

If I was Elin, that would be my biggest worry.

She is better to get divorced.
She does not need to worry about providing for her kids-
Tiger would provide well for his kids.

I will not buy anything he endorses, my kids have seen the news on him.

The women he choose were trash.

Janice December 4, 2009, 9:00 PM

Tiger’s Dad would be so utterly disappointed and so deeply disturbed by Tiger’s acting like he is a sleazy sex addict. Sending out hundreds of sext messages to countless women that he is having a sexual affair with all at the same time that he still climbs into bed with his wife, until Thanksgiving last week. He not only is addicted to cheating, sexting and sex, he appears to be addicted to pills. Addictions always cross paths. One always leads to the other!

maureen December 5, 2009, 5:58 AM

Men-what is it about them that they can’t handle success without getting a big head and believing they can do anything they want and not get caught? How often do you hear of a female star or exec doing this? Not very often. I believe it’s the nature of the beast, and thank God every day that I’m a woman! We have more sense in our little pinky’s than these guys have in their whole body!…so there! :)

jd December 6, 2009, 1:07 AM

If Elin accepts a renegotiated prenup (as in, more money to stay married), then she better not say one word when Tiger continues to step outside of his marriage. Not a peep.

you are sickenin DH December 6, 2009, 2:46 PM

Danielle Hoston…you are totally disgusting!!!!

Dr. Michelle Golland December 7, 2009, 7:24 AM

Great article!

Julie Smith December 9, 2009, 1:08 AM

Spot on! However, I don’t believe Elin to be a “sell-out” on her marriage! Things are existing there with contractual guarantees in relationships in this century! Even in small pots. I like her!!! Traditonal, is making it’s come back, in a time warp.

julie Smith December 9, 2009, 1:10 AM

Hmmm… yall got me rethinking! I think you’re right, she should have left him. Flat out!!! To prove an astounding point. Marriage is marriage. Don’t say the words, for any reasons if you can’t be married.

Golf Clubs September 14, 2010, 10:39 AM

In related news, a caddy found a golf ball at the end of the fairway that he claimed belonged to Tiger Woods because it had a picture of his mistress on it. When questioned about it, Tiger looked at the ball with the picture and replied, “Yeah, I hit that.”

Fashion October 1, 2010, 4:47 AM

Hello from the fashion industry, I really value the work you’ve carried out in this post, it was a excellent read. I’ve organized several exhibitions on the Fashion Institute of Technology in my previous years and am at this time doing work on the forum for that sector. Again, thank you for writing this post.

Donnell Brentlinger February 8, 2011, 3:28 PM

Regrettably, I will never agree with almost all of disturbing stuff here.