'Sexual Bending' Outlawed in Wisconsin School

Ever even heard of "sexual bending"? Neither had we. It's a form of "freak dancing" -- good ol' fashioned dirty dancing. Now it's being outlawed at a school formal ... and many students are boycotting as a result.

teenagers dancing

New dancing rules have some Union Grove High School students in Wisconsin boycotting an upcoming winter formal, reports the Journal Times.

The new rules are as follows:

• Students and their guests will be videotaped during the dance.

• When dancing back to front, all dancers must remain upright -- no sexual bending is allowed. Examples are, no hands on knees, and no hands on the dance floor with your buttocks touching your dance partner.

• There will be no touching of the breasts, buttocks, or genitals.

• There will be no straddling of each others' legs.

• Boys must wear collared shirts and dress pants.

• Girls cannot have dresses that expose cleavage, extend above the mid-thigh, (or) have slits extending above mid-thigh.

Students are outraged. But school officials say they're doing this for kids' own protection.

(Last year, a California school made students sign contracts promising not to bump and grind on the dance floor. Yes, we're serious.)

We're all for keeping our kids safe at dances ... but isn't this taking things too far? The videotaping seems very "Big Brother" to us.

If YOUR kid's school introduced these rules, would you be for them or against them?

next: Three-Year-Old Saves Grandmother's Life
Anonymous January 28, 2010, 12:44 PM

No showing cleavage in a dress for a HS student? RIDICULOUS.

J January 28, 2010, 1:06 PM

This is surley curb teen age pregnancy. Why didn’t think think of this before??? It is about time we straightened up these kids. This is without a doubt the single most important thing that could be done for them and us as a country.

trevor January 28, 2010, 1:48 PM

Its going to be tough to find dresses these days for the girls without showing ANY cleavage.

Sara Elizabeth @ Geeky Pet Mommy January 28, 2010, 5:50 PM

I can see these rules making sense for a Junior High, except the videotaping. However, for a High School I think it’s too much. Give me a break. Some of those kids are 17 and 18. That’s goofy to put rules like that on an 18 year old kid. Seriously.

To the comment above by “J” … I hope that is a joke. This will have NO effect on teen pregnancy. They do not have sex at dances. Secondly, this is hardly the most important thing we could do for our country. Again, I really hope that comment was a joke.

Qtpies7 January 28, 2010, 6:20 PM

I am for the rules. Not because it will prevent pregnancy, but becuase some kids do not want this kind of dancing and people doing it to them against their wishes is both bullying and harassment. Not to mention that it is extremely uncomfortable for the majority of kids to be around. Why allow it for the minority when it is highly inappropriate and offensive to the rest?

abbey January 28, 2010, 6:27 PM

they did introduce them at my school. and winter formal is week away. and honestly, nobody is going. we are all boycotting for sure.

_ January 28, 2010, 6:33 PM

This will do absolutely NOTHING to curb teen pregnancy, it’ll just make more ppl wanna rebel against the , and I use the term loosely, “Establishment” but it’ll take a bit more than a dress and dance code to curb that kinda thing

band kid January 28, 2010, 6:37 PM

haha dont have sex on the dance floor. Obviously you havent been to Flint, Michigan. There is a reason people buy short dresses and dance in a giant clump

Anonymous January 28, 2010, 6:38 PM

Exactly where does protection come into this?

rachel January 28, 2010, 6:40 PM

Many other schools have already implemented these rules. For example, my high school made students sign contracts promising not to participate in inappropriate dancing and students were asked to leave if caught breaking the contract. It was annoying at the time but looking back, i think it was neccesary. Nevertheless, i think the videotaping is taking it a step too far.

GK January 28, 2010, 6:40 PM

Seriously? I think this is pretty lame. How do they think this is protecting anyone? What are we, in the Brady Bunch show? If my kid’s school did this, I wouldn’t be for it. It’s ridiculous. Making rules like these would only make the teenagers want to break them even more, even if they never did these things in the first place. Definitely not “curbing teen pregnancy” in the least. I agree with Sara, I hope that J was just joking. Perhaps in some instances things may have gotten out of hand, but this is going to the extreme.

remi January 28, 2010, 6:42 PM

Qtpies7, what makes you think these kids are the minority? I’m only a few years out of high school, and I remember that “grinding” almost monopolized dancing at ALL of the dances I’ve been to, starting from Middle School. Not only at schools, but at most if not all parties. I stopped going, not because it felt uncomfortable because frankly it was boring. But I am positive I am in the minority of young people when it comes to hypersexual dancing. Honestly I dont know what can be done to curb this kind of behavior, it seems like sooner or later kids will just start having sex on the dance floor. The dress code is obviously ridiculous for this day and age. Most girls shirts these days show cleavage, and I’m not sure I’ve ever even seen a dress that doesn’t show some. Personally, I think the best approach would be to mix up the selection of music to some types that would make grinding seem silly. Seems like at most dances rap and hip hop are played exclusively. The genres on their own can be very decent, but the popular songs played are in general not only terrible, but offensive as well. I think the whole culture that goes along with it is prone to unrestrained sexuality and violence. There is plenty of dance music out there that could curb this kind of behavior such as swing, classic rock, disco, trance, etc. I think mixing it up could be an easy way make dances both more fun, and more reasonable.

Rob January 28, 2010, 6:42 PM

I’m for it, but only because it will encourage the students to seek beyond the school for social interactivity. The people “in the know” when I went to high school all did private dances anyway.

I’m also for it just for the experience of watching the backlash. :) Surely this thing won’t last? And no cleavage dresses: that’s right, make women feel -ashamed- for having breasts.

Ann January 28, 2010, 6:44 PM

They had rules like this at my high school. Ours were more extreme in some ways and less in others.

For example we were not aloud to “grind” at all. All dancing must be face to face, no back to front and you couldn’t be to close. However, we didn’t have a no cleavage rule which is good because that would have made dress shopping extremely difficult.

Now that I think about it, the rules were completely insane. I didn’t think of our high school as being super conservative, but maybe I was wrong. Now that I’m in college, I dance in a fashion that would seem quite inappropriate to someone from my high school, so it’s not like it stopped me from anything, just made me have to play a little catch up to get up to par with everyone elses’ dancing skills.

C January 28, 2010, 6:47 PM

Believe it or not, they had sex at the school dances — obviously not on the dance floor but in the bathrooms, locker rooms, and any closet they could find — when I was in high school six years ago. There were a couple of allegations (never prosecuted) of rapes at dances, too. And who hasn’t heard of people getting hotel rooms after prom? The last time I was at a school dance, it was an 8th grade dance of my sister’s two years ago, and there was more touching of private body parts in the ten minutes I was there than I’ve seen throughout the entire course of a college party. With all the grunting and groaning you could hear above the music, you would think you were walking into an orgy. It says something really sad about our society that we think it is okay for children to behave that way, and at 17, like it or not, we are still, legally, talking about children. And you can’t pick out the 17 year olds from the 18 year olds and say that one group can bump and grind while the other can’t. Such a rule would not be feasible. And the video taping? The Supreme Court has declared that anything that happens in a public place has no reasonable expectation to privacy. The school can legally video tape the dances with or without notifying the students in advance. If they are going to kick a student out for inappropriate behavior, they need proof that the behavior was inappropriate.

Katie January 28, 2010, 6:56 PM

I support these rules. That kind of dancing definitely shouldn’t be supported amongst teens, or even adults… it’s vulgar.
The dress rules are kind of ridiculous, but they’re not horrible. Minors shouldn’t be exposing themselves.

G January 28, 2010, 6:57 PM

Think of it this way. If a school makes this rule and the kids boycott the dance where do they go? They go off and get there kicks somewhere else. Maybe somewhere with NO adult supervision and NO guidelines. If you don’t like someone bumping and grinding on you step away, find somewhere else to dance. Parents think of this, would you rather have your teenage daughter at a school function having a good time with a few friends and then coming home safe at the end of the night. Or, would you rather her lie to you about going to a friends house then going to the out skirts of town with some guy you don’t even know and getting her “dance” on then? Honestly a little leniency goes a long way. If we’re going to change America the answer is not stricter guidelines and more regulation. The answer is better safe sex education and tolerance toward an audience that has a different view than we do.

Nat January 28, 2010, 6:58 PM

Seems like a good idea. It’s not really dancing anyways. I hope the new dance craze catches on, n kids actually dance! Instead of having lame foreplay, real dancing is way better. Extrovert sexuality so normalized and propagated across the generation, as each grade moves up and more enter into highschool…or middle school for that matter, sexuality seems to just increase and weave its way into younger n younger grades… I’m not saying it never happened years n years ago, it’s just gotten too common.

SoCal Mom January 28, 2010, 7:13 PM

THIS IS CRAZY. Get over it. Have you ever seen Footloose? Kevin Bacon would throw an awesomely choreographed tantrum in an abandoned train depot. In fact letting kids dance like this, in the open, probably reduces what they feel compelled to hide.

ugstudent January 28, 2010, 7:48 PM

I’m a senior at good ol’ UGHS and people have taken this way too far. Students are still allowed to grind back to front as long as the girl isn’t bent over like a cheap floozy. And for all of you who think sex doesn’t occur, I’m not saying it happens at this school, but there are schools nearby way worse where used condoms have been found afterwords. These rules help make sure we dont get to that point.
And about the no cleavage rule, this is more to keep girls from buying clubwear for a formal dance. I know I’m one of few totally for these rules at my school. You have no idea how short these dresses are. And sure there are 18 year olds here, we have up to 20 year olds as guests, but theres also 14 year olds. And when they see the 18 year old and the 20 year old simulating fully clothed sex it isnt a good example at all. I am so glad they put these rules in place, but thing is, it really only affects maybe 15 girls that I can think of who are really that that bad. And they were usually drunk.