Dozens of Students Suspended for Facebook Cyberbullying

King 5: More than 20 students at Seattle's McClure Middle School got suspended for joining a club on Facebook. A spokesperson for Seattle Public Schools says the Facebook page targeted one student in what she calls "cyberbullying."

facebook270.jpg
"There is so many ways that kids get bullied in everyday life," said McClure parent Brook George, "and to have a particular student singled out on Facebook, the school needs to get involved."

McClure Middle School quickly responded to this latest case of cyberbullying, suspending 20 to 30 kids for "friending" or becoming "fans" of a Facebook page, maligning one particular student at the school.

"I'd feel crushed and disappointed that friends that go to my school would think of me that way," said 11-year-old Brodie George after hearing about the suspensions.

The school district says the principal discovered the page Tuesday night, spending Wednesday meeting with the students and their parents. She handed down suspensions ranging 2 to 8 days depending on each student's involvement with the page.

At least one parent said she agrees with the discipline.

"I would definitely want something done," said Brooke George, who has two students at McClure. "Even if my child joined something like that, I'd want something done to them to teach them this is not what you do to people."

The district told KING 5 the school will also have student assemblies - sort of a refresher course of why cyberbullying is bad.

The PTSA will also work with parents to teach them how to monitor what their kids are doing online.

Read more stories moms are talking about.

next: Brittany Murphy's Mom to Break Her Silence
Anonymous January 16, 2010, 10:45 AM

free speech lawsuit coming up.

Terry January 18, 2010, 5:14 PM

Why can’t these kids bully the old fashioned way?
You can’t exactly toilet flush a nerd on facebook now can you?

Things were a lot simpler when I was a boy, bullying used to be fun…and a great way of exercising. Nowadays all the kids are so lardy-assed and I blame this cyber-bullying. No chase for the bully or the prey, just typing out insults at the pansys.

I don’t know what the worlds coming to….but I blame the government and the parents and the communists and Obama and all this women’s right malarkey.

Bob January 18, 2010, 5:18 PM

Well said sir.

Justin January 20, 2010, 10:23 AM

As bad as that is, it is NONE of the school’s business. The principal has no authority over children when school is not in session. And she shouldn’t be. They are under the care of the parents. That is who should be issuing the punishments. And is the parents don’t get involved it is STILL not the school’s jurisdiction. However, if this “Cyberbullying” was committed using school computers, that is another issue altogether.

Kim March 4, 2010, 9:18 AM

I think the school was right to step up & try to stop a problem before it got way out of hand. The main players should be suspended along with an written essay.

Ten Tees January 8, 2011, 3:14 PM

Good information! Enjoyable reading. I’ve just got one thing to make about shirts.