Should Elin Woods Take the Money and Run?

Here's the latest juice on the (in)famous golfer.

elin woods

Dr. Wendy Walsh: The latest reports on the Tiger Woods saga/drama are that wife, Elin, has just returned from visiting with her share-the-wealth hubby in sex rehab. And now she has decided NOT to file for divorce. While America is screaming, "TAKE THE MONEY, ELIN!," I would like to take this opportunity to personally congratulate her. It is a brave woman who attempts to save her marriage and her family in this situation. Not only were his transgressions particularly damaging and hurtful, but she also has enormous cultural pressure to leave. We now seem to live in a culture that prefers quick, profitable divorces over the bittersweet emotional work of salvaging a marriage. Somehow, a virtuous few think the only sane route for her is to pack up and cash the check.

But before you think I am the champion of weak women who are too afraid to march out as single mothers, please allow me to remind you of two small facts -- the kids. I don't have to remind you that children do better emotionally, academically, and financially within the circle of an intact, two-parent household. While we single mothers are doing our best -- and indeed, there are plenty of involved divorced fathers -- the statistics do not favor them. According to the Strengthening Families Act of 2003, "Nearly 24 million children in the United States, or 34 percent of all such children, live apart from their biological father. Forty percent of children who live in households without a father have not seen their father in at least one year, and 50 percent of such children have never visited their father's home."

Last night I saw a public service announcement by our president, Barack Obama, encouraging men to be better fathers, to devote the time necessary to help kids thrive. Is this where we have come? When a TV commercial is needed to get men to pay attention to their kids???

Finally, should you be concerned that a negative message might be sent to the children by welcoming back a philanderer -- a platinum-level lothario, at that -- please be assured that the children are quite young, and their primary narcissism will protect them from knowing about or having to understand this mess. The biggest lesson the kids may get from all this? That people can change, that forgiveness is necessary in love relationships, and that Daddy loves them. Most of all, keeping Daddy at home is the biggest gift of their mother's love. Elin, on behalf of your vulnerable angels, thank you for taking a big step toward repair. May the force be with you!

next: Minx Hijinx
Kat Wilder January 28, 2010, 11:09 AM

I agree with you that kids do better with two parents.

But, it seems you are somehow suggesting that fathers don’t want to see their kids (“When a TV commercial is needed to get men to pay attention to their kids???”). While that may be the case for some dads, let’s not forget that there are many mothers who don’t let their kids’ dads be a part of their lives.

Please don’t make men the “bad guys”.” That’s the kid of dangerous thinking that kids pick up for their moms …

wctw January 28, 2010, 1:30 PM

Hope the WOODS family stay intimately together without affected negatively by the tabloid and media ! I hope Tiger learnt the big lesson and understand he can’t afford to lose this precious family (wonderful wife and two lovely kids)

Christina January 28, 2010, 1:42 PM

A husband or wife who cheats on his/her spouse not only betrays marriage vows, but exposes the non-cheating spouse to the possibility of sexually transmitted diseases, some of which are incurable, and some of which can kill you. So one could argue that leaving a cheating spouse is actually better for the kids since it minimizes the possibility that the primary caregiver is going to be killed or seriously health-compromised by a person who has already shown an inability to put others’ welfare ahead of his/her own.

Jenny January 28, 2010, 3:59 PM

I hope that they make it. Many couples survive affairs and come out on the other side a stronger couple. I give her a lot of credit for trying to make it work.

Mamma M January 28, 2010, 7:13 PM

My first instinct is to say absolutely. But I dunno. Does anyone think there is a chance of him repenting?

Gail Cooke January 28, 2010, 8:59 PM

After seeing a similar situation with my sister, I know that only a STUPID WOMAN stays with her husband after something like this. It will end badly if Tiger Woods’ wife stayed…..of course he DOES have money…which is an attractive enticement….maybe if she stays she can milk more cash out of him…

Mamma M February 19, 2010, 7:22 AM

I totally agree. I would totally take my husband back…but don’t tell him that…just kidding lol

Black Iris February 19, 2010, 12:32 PM

I wouldn’t take him back. His behavior is too far over the line. There’s only so much sacrifice and pain you can expect from parents. Elin can take him back if she loves him and believes he will change, but I wouldn’t. I also think it would be best for Tiger to get some consequences for his actions.

As for the children, Tiger’s kids will have enough money no matter what the parents do. If he continues this behavior, they would be better off without him. I would be afraid my children would grow up to imitate his behavior. Not to mention that he actually risked his children’s lives by exposing himself to possibly catching STDs and possibly passing them on to Elin. For me that is the worst thing he did.

Now is the time to leave when the children are young and don’t know him that well. It will be worse if the Woods end up divorcing later on.