70% of Those Under 30 Live with Mom and Dad

More and more adults are living with their parents.

A Pew Research Center study found that 70% of people under 30 live with their parents.

70 PERCENT!

How is this even possible?

Authors Joseph Allen and Claudia Worrell Allen, co-authors of "Escaping the Endless Adolescence: How We Can Help Our Teenagers Grow Up Before They Grow Old," discuss this scary stat on "The Early Show."

Does it shock you? We're flabbergasted!

Do you have an adult child living with you? Or do you live with your own parents? Shed some light by commenting below.

next: Pregnant N.J. Woman Vanishes Days Before Due Date
Mare January 29, 2010, 4:45 PM

It doesn’t surprise me at all! Look how expensive everything is now. It’s a wonder we can get the kids out of the house at all. Just starting out on your own would cost so much. If it’s two people or even four that go in on a place together, that’s more than most of them can afford. They’ll fudge on car insurance or other things just to pay rent. It’s just not realistic anymore.

Anonymous January 29, 2010, 4:56 PM

are you kidding me? if we assume that everyone 18 and under lives at home, we already have 60 percent of the people that are under 30 living at home. So we only need another 10 percent of the people between 19 and 30 to live at home. Considering the number of college students that live at home, this is not a valid statistic.

gary January 29, 2010, 4:56 PM

mare hit the nail on the head, with the lack of jobs and high living expenses its makes it extremely hard to start out on your own.also alot of kids rack up debt from school they dont have a choice but to live at home.

Pat January 29, 2010, 4:59 PM

This is not a valid statistic. If you consider the fact that almost everybody lives with their parents until they are 18, you already have 60 percent of the population under 30 living with their parents.

Anonymous January 29, 2010, 5:00 PM

Seriously? 70% of all people under the age of 30 are 21 and under. So to be honest it’s not that big of a problem.

becky January 29, 2010, 5:00 PM

- Anonymous

THIS.

Angela January 29, 2010, 5:02 PM

I’m 24 and while I don’t live with my parents (and haven’t for 6 years now), I’m also in my 6th year of university. I would say that about 80% of the people in my program (teacher’s college) live with their parents, if not year round, than at least in the summer (and use that as their “permanent” address. If it weren’t for the fact that I’m common law and my partner is able to provide enough while I’m still a student, there is a 100% chance I would be living with my parents still if it weren’t for him for financial reasons.

Dan January 29, 2010, 5:05 PM

This actually doesn’t say much at all. Think about it. “Those under thirty” include everyone from newborn babies to thirty-year-olds. It’s pretty obvious that a significant number of people in that range are going to live with their parents. If absolutely everyone left their parents at exactly 21 years old, this exact same percentage would hold true. Obviously, some leave home before and some may stay longer, but that’s the ordinary age. In fact, it’s about the age where people graduate college, and most college students live at home between semesters. Please don’t get pulled in by this blatant, fear-mongering abuse of numbers.

Not Living @ Home January 29, 2010, 5:07 PM

Adult children living with their parents is not considered a bad thing in most of the world. They help pay the rent/mortgage and take care of their parents until they get married and move out. This story is very America-centric.

kara January 29, 2010, 5:20 PM

This is ridiculous! I’m 21 years old and my sister is 24. We both live with our dad. My dad WANTS us to live with him because without our financial support, he wouldn’t be able to afford the rent himself. The rent is SO HIGH where I live that pretty much everyone from 19-30 lives with their parents. My boyfriend lives with his parents, and he’s 27. If he moves out of there, his parents will not be able to afford almost half of their bills. Sometimes, parents go through problems that are not ideal. Some parents have jobs of hard labor because they never went to college. These people don’t realize that every family isn’t financially stable.

Mike January 29, 2010, 5:31 PM

First off, all you people going off about the “x number of them are under 21” or whatever, that’s clearly not what they’re talking about. They’re talking about adults under 30 who are living with their parents.

I’ll say its not a very fair statistic considering that you do have a substantial chunk of people who are in college.

That being said, I think it is still pretty ridiculous that so many young adults would still be living at home.

I’m 25. I’ve been living on my own and supporting myself since I was 19. I live in Toronto, which isn’t the most expensive city in North America, but it certainly isn’t that cheap either. I have always had a good relationship with my parents, and they would have been happy to have me at home during my time at University. However, I felt that as an adult, I needed my own space and to be responsible for myself.

I went through a variety of jobs, not all of which were that great, and the same can be said for apartments. There were rough times, but all in all it was a great experience none the less.

At 25 I have been happily married for a couple years, and am living in good sized apartment in a nice part of town. I am a partner in a fledgling business where I now manage a team of 3 people and we are steadily building a respectable income stream. I almost entirely paid for my own education (student loans are only a few grand away!). I spend time each week visiting my elderly father to make him lunch and keep him company while my mother still works a full time job.

I suppose I’m carrying on a bit, but my point is that, to me, it seems like a matter of convenience and sloth. Sure, some of that apparent “70%” (if its true) really need to be supported still because of education or living in areas particularly severely affected by unemployment; but I do think that there is a sizable chunk of them that are only doing it because they can. It’s just so much easier to sit around and complain about living at home and being unable to find the “right” job then to actually get out there and be responsible for yourself.

Mike January 29, 2010, 5:34 PM

And to those of you talking about living with your parents to help pay the bills and so on. Did you watch the video? That isn’t what they’re talking about.

Once again, maybe the statistic is wrong because of not taking into account children living with parents because they can help cover the bills better. However, the issue these people are being interviewed about is children who are living with and supported by their parents well into adulthood.

Anonymous January 29, 2010, 8:22 PM

I think somebody (Mike) likes to hear the sound of his own voice. Get over yourself, not everybody is as “awesome” as you…douche bag

Vanessa January 29, 2010, 9:51 PM

I have 3 sisters and we all live with our parents. The 2 oldest have moved out before but came back home. 26-is married, 24-engaged and has a 3yr old daughter(will be moving out in Feb, YAY!) and then me 23-married with a 2yr old daughter and the youngest 18. So we are all definitely too old to still be home. Because of a bunch events happening in our lives we’ve stayed home, but now the economy is making our lifes difficult to move on. Living at your parents is normal to our family, friends and our community. It is very common. Though it is many of us at home, my parents love having us home including their sons-in-law and grand daughters. We are what you call a REAL full house. House of 10. We just add rooms to our house

Vanessa January 30, 2010, 7:40 AM

Ashley W. March 29, 2010, 7:47 AM

well, I am a freshman in college( I just turned 19 in February) and I WANT to move out…eventually. I mean, I JUST started college! Don’t get me wrong, I want to dorm but because of the economy, it’s an expense that I can’t cover. So, right now, doing chores is my contribution. I had to quit my job earlier because of the amount of classes I’m taking AND my two-hour commute. It’s tough. I am VERY independent and hate relying on people all the time so it sucks that I can’t learn how to take care of myself yet. Maybe things will turn a round soon. But my parents did say that I will be able to dorm at least one year so it’ll be sweet being able to show my parents that I can handle life on my own!

That Guy July 13, 2010, 2:03 PM

Growing up as 1 of 6 I seem to be the only one left that hasn’t either got a chick pregnant or a career I’ve had my share of girlfriends and jobs both of which I havnt found one to stick with I feel most of these people tooting their own horn act as if they are awesome for doing what comes naturally and an un noted fact is that most of you replaced your parents help with a partner or roomates help so making it seem like your responsible or special for leaving home is a crock, it’s rare that someone can move out into an apartment or home ALONE with no help from a rommie or loved one I’m 24 still at home with my mom n grandparents I help em out as much as I can got in debt cuz of school over 13k in debt but the stigma of living at home with mom or dad will make anyone insane but as I said the unseen factor is most of you traded in your parents help and support with a spouses or roomates support so to all tooting your own horn cuz ur so called independent relax it cuz if you would of done it 100% on your own with no help then I will toot that horn for you otherwise stick your pompus self under water and stay there, no self satisfaction in claiming to make it on ur own when your not alone and you know this.