Finally ... Models We Can Relate To!

V magazine just did a plus-size photo shoot that has many of the moms in our office jumping for joy. Check out these curvy models, and see if they make you feel better about your own body.

v magazine plus size model shoot

next: The Biggest Babies in the World
Anonymous January 8, 2010, 12:08 PM

While pretty, these woman are still clearly overweight - just as unhealthy as the stick figures. I can’t relate to them.

Jacqueline January 8, 2010, 12:34 PM

I am happy to see these women in a magazine. they are normal, curvy women - probably size 12 or 14. They all look great. I can relate.

Wendi January 8, 2010, 12:41 PM

They are not overweight, we have a standard set in this country that if someone is not a size 1 then they are overweight. Some women look like this and work out every day and do not have a single medical problem, especially those that come with being over weight. I think these women look great. It’s what real women look like. I am just guessing that no one ever told Marilyn Monroe she was fat and over weight. Men everywhere loved her for her body.

Anonymous(but a different one than the first one) January 8, 2010, 12:52 PM

I agree with the other Anonymous. These women are overweight. Just because most of the average American woman is overweight, it doesn’t mean the women that aren’t overweight are too skinny. And I’m so tired of people using Marilyn Monroe as the basis for justifying weight. A size 16 now is not the same size 16 is was when she was alive.
These women are very pretty, but you can’t say they’re not overweight.

Anonymous(but a different one than the first one) January 8, 2010, 1:01 PM

Also, are you saying that because I don’t look like these women I’m not a real woman? I’m 5’6” and wear anything from a size 00 to a size 3. It’s not because I starve myself either. It’s just genetics (just like when fat girls say it’s genetic that they’re fat).

Sam January 8, 2010, 1:37 PM

Anonymous right before my post: I couldn’t agree more. I’m 5’2” and weigh between 105-115. It does’t matter whether I eat whatever I want or eat healthy I stay in that window. It is all about genetics. And I am a little sick of overweight women trying to make me feel bad for being overweight. As a skinny person getting undressed in a locker room I can see and feel the hateful stares of women that are larger than me. The problem with society is the fact that women are at eachother’s throats. I can attest that overweight women can be just as judgemental and rude to thin women (I’ve never been on the other side of the coin, but mean is mean.)Why is it us against them? It’s self-defeating and completely unnecessary. Why don’t we all just love our bodies whatever the size? We need to accept ourselves and love ourselves without hating those that look differently.

Pamala January 8, 2010, 4:26 PM

Sam,

I honestly I just think it’s how women are. If it’s not how you look it’s how you dress. Or parent, or drive, etc. I don’t know what it is about women but it seems we encounter more judgement from others of the same sex. Maybe it’s natural, you know some sort of instinct.

tennmom January 8, 2010, 6:43 PM

Some of them do look a bit heavy for their height and probably are on the high end of the recommended BMI scale.
Yes, I do weigh 140 pounds, which some would consider heavy BUT I’m 5’8” and my BMI is normal. If I dropped to 120 lbs. my doctor would tell me off.

amit January 8, 2010, 9:28 PM

i like those girls

gabeygoat January 9, 2010, 2:18 AM

for the most part, they look healthy. health is more important than weight, whether a woman is larger or smaller.

Jim January 10, 2010, 11:12 AM

Who cares? They’re still airbrushed to high heaven, plastered in make-up, and posing in ridiculous ways that nobody in real life would ever do.

Can we move beyond this trivial nonsense, please? Can we talk about things that actually matter and have an impact on the world? Some women are skinny, some are not. Get over it. Maybe the trick is to stop making a big deal about it either way, and stop associating so much of our insecurities with advertisements designed solely to make money.

Marisela January 10, 2010, 1:05 PM

As long as you’re still healthy it doesen’t matter if you’re a size 12. Health should always be a priority. I’m small but it doesen’t give me the right to judge them by their size if they eat healthy. What bothers me is that if you glamourize bigger models it might make some women think you can eat whatever you want, and think they can get away with it. It would only lead to to no good if they eat unhealthy like getting diabetes. Be healthy that’s all. It also goes for the supper skinny people who starve. Starving leads no good either. If you can be a size 2 or a size 12 and be healthy that’s great.

Bev January 11, 2010, 5:27 AM

They are clearly overweight. In this country we’ve come to accept chubby as normal and normal as too thin. I work out 5 days a week - not crazy, just enough to stay fit and healthy and be a good example for my children. Those woman are just as unhealthy as the woman who starve themselves.

While women come in various shapes having rolls of excess fat is just as bad for your body as being skin and bones. So, no I cannot to relate to these women anymore than I can to the supermodels who weigh 1/2 pound.

michelle January 11, 2010, 2:50 PM

Why am I being forced to “relate” to some random people I see in a magazine, anyway? How are these people relevant to my life, no matter what their size? My self-image doesn’t depend on V Magazine.

max February 10, 2010, 5:39 PM

This is just us accepting people being overweight.

drink berry acai October 16, 2010, 3:45 PM

Myself Asset,court gather attack criminal necessarily separate wave representation organisation sun flight simply hour step happy invite more direct religious reading whatever somewhere section available competition her expenditure shout matter train problem target convention store natural cross agency invite normally competition kid easy selection local quick date several offence could ticket wind enter cash sing effort itself model manner short owner individual successful turn cost test thank county survive training annual personal union depend living kitchen loss warm candidate sleep yourself husband mistake appeal wait author civil list