Diet Treatments Questionable for Autism

Approximately 20 percent of autistic children are on a gluten- and/or casein-free diet to treat a digestive problem referred to as "leaky gut" or "autistic enterocolitis," in hopes it will lessen their pain and abate their symptoms.

boy clutching stomach

Vivian Manning-Schaffel: But, according to a recent Pediatrics report discovered by the Orlando Sentinel's Moms at Work blog, an expert panel has found: "There's no rigorous evidence that digestive problems are more common in children with autism compared to other children, or that special diets work, contrary to claims by celebrities and vaccine naysayers." The study goes on to say, after 25 medical expert panelists gathered in Boston to review research, the existence of leaky gut "has not been established."

The article says: "Painful digestive problems can trigger problem behavior in children with autism and should be treated medically." It says more research is required to establish an autistic predisposition toward digestive problems, and confirm if these diets really work on some kids.

The post provides a response from Lee Grossman, president of the Autism Society: "I think we still have a lot to learn about the gut and how it contributes to behavioral symptoms."

It would be so amazing if something as simple as a modified diet could help children with autism. Actress Jenny McCarthy is a huge advocate of this modified diet. She wrote Louder Than Words: A Mother's Journey in Healing Autism, about her autistic son Evan and how this modified diet helped him. She also established Generation Rescue, a nonprofit organization dedicated to finding a biomedical treatment for autism.

What about you guys? Have any of you seen or heard of these diets working?

We'd love to hear your story!

next: Men Know When They're Aroused, Women May Not
Jenny January 6, 2010, 5:27 AM

I think that people should try it and if it works for their kids than great. What harm can it do? As long as they are still getting a balanced diet than go for it. The article said that the painful digestive issues should be treated medically but what it doesn’t say is that some children, while not Celiacs, are gluten intolerant and there isn’t a test for that other than elimination. Also some kids can’t break down Casein, a protein in milk, different from lactose and that can cause stomach issues. If the child had either of those things going on than eliminating gluten and/or casein would be treating the problem medically, would it not?

Cheryl January 6, 2010, 11:02 AM

This is a confusing article. Is the question “do children with autism tend to have more digestive issues” or “do special diets help alleviate the symptoms of autism?” Are you suggesting that if a parent has a child with autism and digestive problems it would risky to try a special diet? Wouldn’t most gastrointestinal doctors give a special diet anyway?

Jane January 6, 2010, 2:15 PM

The GFCF diet *cured* my child of autism. Yes, CURED. I think the key was starting it before her third birthday (before permanent brain damage set in), and doing it very, very strictly (we eventually had to cut out almost all processed products because they are cross-contaminated with gluten — tiny amounts but enough to cause symptoms and delay healing).

I’ve read this consensus report, and all it says is that there’s no evidence either for or against special diets in autism. It doesn’t say they don’t work … and it can’t, because the studies haven’t been done. But parent surveys show they *do* work in many children.

If your child is autistic, go GFCF and do it strictly — there’s a very good chance you’ll see huge improvements. I saw a difference in my child within 48 hours.

cheapviagra4063 August 30, 2010, 9:30 AM
chase internet banking October 18, 2010, 1:40 PM

So not really on the same topic as your post, but I found this today and I just can’t resist sharing. Mrs. Agathe’s dishwasher quit working so she called a repairman. Since she had to go to work the next day, she told him, “I’ll leave the key under the mat. Fix the dishwasher, leave the bill on the counter, and I’ll mail you the check. Oh, and by the way…don’t worry about my Doberman. He won’t bother you. But, whatever you do, do NOT under ANY circumstances talk to my parrot!” When the repairman arrived at Mrs. Agathe’s apartment the next day, he discovered the biggest and meanest looking Doberman he had ever seen. But just as she had said, the dog simply laid there on the carpet, watching the repairman go about his business. However, the whole time the parrot drove him nuts with his incessant cursing, yelling and name-calling. Finally the repairman couldn’t contain himself any longer and yelled, “Shut up, you stupid ugly bird!” To which the parrot replied, “Get him, Spike!”

sniper games October 24, 2010, 7:56 PM

An insightful post right there mate . Cheers for that.

bachelorette party gifts October 25, 2010, 9:20 AM

I’ve been exploring on the net trying to find some ideas on the way to get our blog coded, your overall design and style together with theme are fantastic. Did you code it your self or did you recruit a coder to do it to suit your needs?

Sam Heggood October 25, 2010, 3:35 PM

My pal and I have been just talking over this specific issue, she actually is constantly seeking to prove me incorrect! I will present her this post and additionally rub it in a little!

Make Money Online October 25, 2010, 6:27 PM

Sufficient Man,individual photograph achievement currently system household moment direction application release separate issue develop fall aware describe just servant please emerge first deep trouble instead adopt frequently wave opposition skin tear give son win expensive odd change engineering spend star concern initiative planning forget on conclusion anything none head justice connect eventually worker pupil shoulder because girl loss until eat ago able access usually carry body issue persuade year drug such safe theme division capital fit which deliver twice girl next gain threaten

Melinda Musgrave October 26, 2010, 2:13 PM

Being responsible for just doesn’t suit most common people.

Armando Morkve October 27, 2010, 12:24 PM

Quite a few of the ideas associated with this post are generally excellent yet had me personally asking, did they really indicate that? One point I have got to say is certainly your publishing knowledge are very very good and I will certainly be returning back for any brand-new blog post you make, you could possibly have a brand-new enthusiast. I book-marked your blog for reference.

Julietta Marcellino October 27, 2010, 5:03 PM

It was a piece of cake.

Raleigh Marking October 28, 2010, 5:50 AM

There are absolutely no presumptions on this conception.

Alease Rutenberg October 29, 2010, 8:39 AM

When it relates to I decline this insubstantial flash in the pan.

Billie Tingey October 30, 2010, 7:45 AM

It is only the tip of the iceberg when it relates to.

Burl Nugen November 9, 2010, 9:34 AM

I support that commitment to.

Refugio Trizarry November 13, 2010, 3:30 PM

My good friend inquired that we come and study at this post, she’s truly do a school task on the subject. Were did you obtain your oringal details on this particular or did an individual recover it?

Pasquale Comley November 18, 2010, 6:09 AM

All round I assume this can be some thing to think about nevertheless it will probably just be a bit of little bit of base. In my nation we should always honer very good internet writers and I’m honoring your submit as I do assume it truly is tremendously good.

Kenda Pultorak November 29, 2010, 7:03 PM

This is a lot more effort than I see from most critics.

buy valium December 1, 2010, 3:29 PM

I do not accept as true with everything on that post, but you do make some very good things. I’m very excited about this subject and I myself act alot of study as well. Anyway it was a well thoughtout and pleasant read so I figured I would depart you a note. Feel free to check out my web page sometime & let me know what u feel.