Some "Christians" Need to Shut UP

One mom is fed up with destructive people getting airtime during world tragedies.

pat-haiti.jpg

Homeschool Mom: I am a Christian. I go to an Evangelical Church. I believe, and I live my life to the best of my ability according to Christ's teachings. And I am sad today, not only for Haitians who are suffering in the wake of this devastating earthquake and have suffered for years before it happened from poverty and disease, I am also sad for Christians in Haiti who have suffered. Many of these Christians have devoted themselves to feeding, clothing, educating, and loving the people of Haiti for years, and now many have lost their lives alongside thousands of Haitians whom they were there to serve.

To hear certain remarks from fellow "Christians" that have now received so much airtime, while nobody even knows the names of the people who are literally digging in the dirt to help others, makes my blood boil. Good Christian people are being represented and overshadowed by people who are saying outrageous and truly unchristian things in the wake of this monumental tragedy.

Christianity is about Christ, and He was compassionate and cared for the poor and sick. He taught that there will be troubles in this fallen world and people will suffer. He himself suffered. But He also taught that there is hope and love in this difficult place, and it can be seen in the love that we show one another. Since this earthquake, I have not met a Christian that has not donated money or expressed a desire to do more to help the people of Haiti. Scripture does not support the idea that God is behind every disaster as divine retribution. The earthquake killed Christians and non-Christians alike. There were Christian churches destroyed as well as other non-Christian buildings. Anyone who would insinuate that Haitians brought this earthquake upon themselves is an idiot. It is as ludicrous as saying the innocent don't suffer and the guilty always get their just deserts. How we all know that isn't true.

It would be nice if the names of people who are doing heroic things right this minute had their names in every headline and were quoted. It would be nice if overexposed blowhards looking for controversy so they can get more coverage and foolish old men could step down from the limelight for a few merciful minutes and actually let people who have something meaningful to say, say it. It would also be nice if those in the media didn't give these destructive people a platform -- maybe then they would have fewer delusional followers. I for one go on record as saying: if you want to know who represents my religion, His name is Jesus.

next: Kate Gosselin to Star in New Reality Show
naomi January 14, 2010, 3:13 PM

AMEN!!! Thank you!!!

ally January 14, 2010, 3:20 PM

Sorry, I am not convinced. Although organized religion has done some great things, the overall community continues to disgust me, and others, which is evidenced by growing agnosticism and atheism.

Better that the few of you Christians out there with half a brain sit down and THINK. There is no God. Jesus is a myth, and the myth of the virgin birth is documented back THOUSANDS of years and attributed to DOZENS of ancient religions.

Stolen birth myth. Bloated churches. Twisted leaders like the meth gay guy and Pat Roberson. Pedophile sex-starved priests. YOU ARE BETTER THAN THIS.

t January 14, 2010, 4:30 PM

I totally agree. This is not the time to be opportunistic and use this tragedy for more airtime. My prayers go out to the people of Haiti and everyone affected by this disaster.

Clt January 14, 2010, 5:37 PM

Thank you so much for writing this. I grew up in church and remember a lot of good times there. As an adult I have seen so called “christians” do so many underhanded hateful things to others. I have not heard other Christians stand against this behavior. All I hear are excuses. I’m glad this recent tragedy has separated the true from the untrue.

Jim January 14, 2010, 6:42 PM

I commend you for calling out the hypocritical Christian opportunists. But I am surprised that you are still a believer.

Why do you believe the Jesus story, but none of the others? Do you think a billion Muslims are delusional? Or a billion Catholics? Or the 3 billion others on the planet who do not believe in any Abrahamic religion? It’s ok to let go of that one last god and just…

“be good for goodness sake”

rugbymom January 14, 2010, 8:21 PM

Thank you. I was relieved to see on the news the mention of Pat Robinson’s remarks overshadowed by so many Americans coming to the aid of Haiti. I think it is horrible to judge a people like that and it is not a Christian’s job to make judgments, but to be servants and right now we are needed. Christians everywhere are silently coming to the aid of those in need.

former catholic January 15, 2010, 3:15 AM

ally, I think you need to be made aware of your ignorance- people do bad things- but, God did not tell priests to sodomize boys; they did it all on their own. Mind you I do not support most of the catholic beliefs; many catholics have done many wonderful things to help the community. Might I also add that you have a lot of blind faith in your belief that everything is false that you want to believe is false. please do not try to sell your blind hate.
Might I also agree witht the poster, people from haiti did not cause it to happen to themselves and people who spew hateful things and anyone who says that does not deserve airtime.

Mary Fairchild January 15, 2010, 3:48 AM

Homeschool Mom -

I too am heartbroken for Haiti and I appreciate your words.

PlumbLucky January 15, 2010, 5:54 AM

Most religion lessons that I recall to warn to “beware false prophets”. I believe that some of the “Christian”s who are receiving so much air time for their tripe at the moment, while those actually doing the work of God’s love receive nothing, emphasize this.

Anonymous January 15, 2010, 6:48 AM

You say you wish the real heroes had their own headlines - well, at least you do. A small one, but one all the same. Thank you. I may not agree with your beliefs, but I agree with your sense of compassion and charity. This is what I always thought Christianity was supposed to be; how grateful I am to see that there are still real Christians who practice it.

Aprilcot26 January 15, 2010, 6:49 AM

As a Christian, thank you for this. I don’t know who Pat Robertson’s savior is, but with the hate he spews, it is most certainly NOT Jesus.

Barb January 15, 2010, 6:58 AM

You don’t have to be a Christian to care about others, to donate time, money and good thoughts to people in need. I’m continually disappointed by words and actions by Christians, which only goes to show you that there are good people and bad people with varying labels. Religion is one huge farce.

b January 15, 2010, 8:17 AM

Ok, first of all, why are you people attacking this woman’s faith? I don’t think this article was meant as a proselytizing tool, nor do I think she was trying to say that if you’re not a Christian, your charitable acts are without merit. She’s free to believe and worship as she chooses, as are each of you. Leave her alone about her religion and focus on what she was really talking about: hypocrisy and opportunists (which can be found throughout the spectrum of religions/philosophies). And to you, Homeschool Mom, I simply remind you that just as Jesus was among the poor, sick, impoverished and downtrodden, living his life in quiet service and far from the notice of those in the “limelight,” so are those individuals who are truly seeking to be his disciples. Let it be of no surprise to you, then, that they receive no attention. They are being good, “for goodness’ sake,” and for no other purpose. And they, too, have my prayers.

michelle January 15, 2010, 8:51 AM

I’m curious as to why she didn’t name names in her piece (PAT ROBERTSON). If we are serious about discrediting these blowhards, we should name and shame them.

Anonymous January 15, 2010, 12:40 PM

To answer Michelle, I believe she didn’t want to give any more attention to someone who doesn’t deserve it.

Julie Smith January 15, 2010, 3:17 PM

Say it, sister! Being a true Christian means having empathy and compassion, not placing undue blame and propping yourself up on the misfortune of others.

MilkChocolateMidwife January 15, 2010, 10:34 PM

“I am also sad for Christians in Haiti who have suffered. Many of these Christians have devoted themselves to feeding, clothing, educating, and loving the people of Haiti for years, and now many have lost their lives alongside thousands of Haitians whom they were there to serve.”

HomeSchoolMom, I agree with and appreciate the overall sentiment that I think you were trying to express with this post. That being said, I think it’s time many people look within themselves a little deeper to find their own hidden prejudices. Your comment above seems to suggest that the only “Christians” who were in Haiti at the time of the earthquake were those who had come to Haiti from overseas. Perhaps I’m reading too much into this and if I am, I apologize. As a Haitian-American woman I feel angered at some of the comments that have been made by media personalities and feel the need to remind people that over 80% of Haiti’s population is devoutly Christian. As a Haitian-American woman, I am also proud of the fact that many of my people have been able to hold onto so much of their African heritage, including Voudou, despite the cruelty of slavery and Christian slavemasters. That alone speaks volumes of the strength of my people.

Renee January 17, 2010, 8:45 PM

I agree it is maddening when people that are disconnected from what is really going on have such a strong opinion

abbey January 18, 2010, 2:56 PM

While it’s nice to hear “Christians” stand up against ignorant people in their own religion, I have to say I don’t buy it. What about all of the other instances that “Christians” stand against that are against our rights, like universal health care or the right of homosexuals to marry (if two men can marry obviously people will marry ducks!). I know the relief effort in Haiti is different and many people have good hearts, but what “Christians” have done to place their religious views in politics is alarming. You are one person and are standing up against Pat Robertson in this issue, but what about all of the other issues “Christians” turn into muck?

Janice January 29, 2010, 1:00 AM

Yes,I can see how angry you are that people are recognized on the news while the real heroes are forgotten.
But: My dear sweet Pam, do not allow any to bring you to anger, and remember even though you think the real heroes have been forgotten and the wrong people are getting the praise, see it another prospective. The people that sacrificed in Haiti have the greatest rewards stored up in Heaven, and the ones that have received the praise here have received their rewards here. So now: which reward would you have for the real heroes? G-d Bless whoever reads this post, and I pray in Christ Holy Name! Amen!