MY Version of Going Green

While going green is the trend du jour, I have my own tips for saving the earth's natural resources.

woman and kids at restaurant

Lori Curley: I once read that the best brainstorming occurs when the participants refuse to say "No, that won't work" or "That's not right." This commitment to following any idea to its logical or illogical end produces all kinds of truly interesting ideas. For example, I was thinking about how my family and I could become greener (since that seems to be the trend du jour, not because I necessarily buy into the warming theory) and therefore, I decided that we should eat every meal out. That's right. When we eat at home, we waste our valuable resources.

First, we waste energy when buying the food. We drive to the store at least twice a week and stare at the ice cream or vegan selections with the freezer door open. We hardly even appreciate the light or heat that the store provides because we are so focused on filling our little canvas bags, which we then drag into the house via our back doors -- allowing heat to escape. Then we waste electricity keeping the eggs cold and the chicken frozen. And even more energy cooking them. Then we waste water cleaning all the pots, pans, and dishes. And if we toss the leftovers (I always do), then we create trash, or need to run the garbage disposal -- more energy. Whereas, if we constantly eat at restaurants, they will have less to store in their refrigerators and will save in volume, as they wash more dishes. And, because they buy more food in larger quantities, they create less trash. They may have, for instance, that 10-pound can of tuna versus our two eight-ounce cans.

Next week, a man is coming to remove our oven, refrigerator, and dishwasher. We are going to remodel the kitchen by installing a full-size pool table. We will feed our dinner table and chairs to the fireplace -- and replace the sink with a hand-sanitizer station.

next: Infertility Takes a Huge Toll
Chi Flat Irons January 25, 2010, 4:35 AM

A flat iron is basically a tool that has two flat plates which heat up. These can be made of metal or ceramic, but ceramic is better for your hair, though pricier. Metal, though You had better to use Chi Flat Irons to keep your hair straight frequently.it appears smooth, is actually very rough on a microscopic level and can destroy your hair chi flat irons are a very popular among the young girls, which can not only help to keep their hair straight but awith extended use.

Chi Flat Irons  January 25, 2010, 4:37 AM

Dr. Jay Cole January 25, 2010, 8:49 AM

What about the fact that the majority of restaurants are forced to buy faulty genetically modified foods from companies who are forcing small farmers out of business through billion dollar law suits?

In my household, we purchase what we need for the day, each day. You may think “Oh, but we don’t have time for that”… Well neither did we, but instead we watch less television, or surf the net a bit less each day and both our health and community prosper and profit from it.

Food for thought.
Peace \ /
Dr.Jay

Kimberly Aardal January 26, 2010, 1:50 PM

Hmmm, interesting idea. Some of your points may be valid but what about the quality of the food you eat? You don’t have much control over that when dining out. It would be interesting to do a comparison between dining out and eating at home as far as energy consumption.

Used Golf Clubs September 21, 2010, 12:42 AM

I needed to thank you for this fantastic learn!!! I additional to my bookmarks, take care

PureandGentleSoap.com March 17, 2011, 8:50 AM

Well, I was going to recommend a few tips, but if you get rid of everything except cleaners and hand sanitizers, then I’m sort of ok with that! :) And replacing the appliances with a pool table? Genius!