J Lo Thinks IVF Is Messing with God's Plan

Her statements are infuriating to some moms.

jennifer lopez

Even though she stars in the upcoming movie "The Back-Up Plan" about a woman who conceives twins using artificial insemination, Jennifer Lopez is making some controversial statements about IVF these days.

When asked if she tried in-vitro fertilization to conceive her twins, Max and Emme, she told Elle magazine:

"I ... believe in God and I have a lot of faith in that, so I just felt like you don't mess with things like that. And I guess deep down I really felt like either this is not going to happen for me or it is. You know what I mean? And if it is, it will. And if it's not, it's not going to."

Yikes.

Not all moms are happy about her statements ... especially those who've had IVF themselves.

What do you think about J Lo's sentiments ... agree or disagree?

jennifer lopez

Jennifer Lopez Gallery

next: Scrubs's Sarah Chalke Becomes a Mom
Rachel January 8, 2010, 2:20 PM

What a tacky, inflammatory headline! Regardless of whether or not people agree or disagree with it, JLo is entitled to her opinion. Lame, momlogic!

chris January 8, 2010, 3:01 PM

She’s allow to have her own opinion. No matter what you say these days, someone gets upset…people need to toughin up some!

Selena January 8, 2010, 3:58 PM

I think it is lame like someone said that you put that title. It seems as if you dont agree with her. Which is fine, but you should have been middle of the road and let others make up their own mind. There is nothing wrong with what she said it is her opinion and she is entitled to it.

Pamala January 8, 2010, 4:23 PM

Many people hold this opinion and it’s not wrong to hold it. I mean seriously if she doesn’t believe IVF is for her and that it’s in God’s hands, then so be it. Why would anyone else first, give a darn what she says, and second, think her opinion means anything for them and their life?

Kelly January 8, 2010, 5:09 PM

What a hypocrite!! So it is ok to have plastic surgery and liposuction and Botox and everything else cosmetic surgery has to offer, ALTERING THE PLAN FOR HER BODY THAT GOD GAVE HER, but IVF is bad. Give me a break! I say, God helps those who help themselves.

B January 8, 2010, 5:40 PM

In case anyone is interested, her beliefs are right on par with Catholic doctrine and statements from the Pope himself. I don’t know whether or not she’s Catholic, but she is espousing Catholic beliefs in her statement. And, if you’re Catholic and disagree, you may want to reconsider your religious affiliation. Just a suggestion.

tennmom January 8, 2010, 6:47 PM

I don’t care to hear the opinion of J Lo or the Pope. Neither are God.
If a woman has trouble conceiving the “natural” way, neither J Lo or the Pope has the right to tell her that IV conception is wrong.

CreoleInDC January 8, 2010, 7:02 PM

I agree she is welcome to her own opinion and that her opinion holds no relevance to what I do with MY life. That is all.

Angela January 8, 2010, 7:18 PM

She didn’t say that women who have had IVF are evil and that it should be outlawed. All she really said was that it wasn’t something she was comfortable with for herself and I can respect that. To tell the truth the women that I know who have undergone IVF have struggled with some ethical aspects of it such as what to do with the unused embryos. There isn’t a one choice fits all answer to some questions.

Gigohead  January 8, 2010, 8:04 PM

Wonder if she forgot to include the Clomid she took for her kids. She clearly was having fertility issues and she turned to drugs to help her stimulate the production of eggs. Those twins didn’t come naturally.

I understand she is entitled to her opinion but if all children, whether created by IVF or naturally are ALL God’s creations. She needs to zip her mouth shut.

Pamala January 8, 2010, 8:10 PM

See this is the problem, people placing things on her that weren’t expressed. Where in the statement did she say it was wrong and evil? She just said it wasn’t something she would do for herself because she believes if God intends it for her then it will happen.

How this is wrong is beyond me?

By the way she may be against the IVF process, not all medical intervention, which I believe is pretty much on par with the Catholic belief as well.

c-supportservice January 8, 2010, 8:21 PM

how do you make all people happy?

Kelly January 9, 2010, 7:42 AM

I hate to point this out since it is a little off subject but for those stating she is going along with Catholic doctrine, are you telling me that J-lo was a VIRGIN who used NO form of birth control (except rhythm method) until she became married and pregnant with her twins? I’m sorry I find it hard to believe. I don’t know if she is a practicing Catholic or not, but you can’t pick and choose which one of the Church’s doctrines you feel like following whether you agree with them or not.

Monica January 9, 2010, 11:00 AM

Its her personal opinion. Since when did we have the right to control what celebrities think because they are in the public eye. You have your opinion. She has hers. Its not for her and it may be for you. She didn’t say that no one should ever get IVF’d. People need to lighten up!

Vanessa January 9, 2010, 12:14 PM

Complete BS. First if all, it is incredibly unliklely she could have children, twins after the age of 35 naturally. More complications arise after the age of 35. She had her babies through IVF but is too much of a coward to admit it.

Anonymous January 9, 2010, 1:28 PM

who gives a crap?

Gail Cooke January 9, 2010, 2:48 PM

Personally, I think God gave us the brains to think up the technology…so I don’t feel bad about that kind of thing.

Carol January 9, 2010, 4:25 PM

Absolutely not! I’m not a mother but I am a libertarian and a non-theist. I feel that it’s not important HOW you get pregnant if you want a child. No offense to Jennifer Lopez, but she would be catholic and religious and if her ‘god’ told her to get pregnant the traditional way, that’s her thinking.
It’s ok Jennifer for you to feel that way for you and Marc, but don’t put that on all women who are trying to get pregnant, IVF or not. The story of the British girl, now an adult woman and married, I believe her last name was Brown, was conceived via a petri dish and then the resulting zygote was implanted into her mother’s uterus. You do what works for you and traditional sex…that’s not always an option.

Madison January 9, 2010, 11:54 PM

@Vanessa — Um, no.

Women are MORE LIKELY to have twins after the age of 35. Also, it is NOT “incredibly unlikely” to have kids after 35. I am 36 and it took me two weeks to conceive and have the smoothest, healthiest pregnancy possible. No reason to believe J.Lo used IVF.

HawkMom January 27, 2010, 11:53 AM

I actually posted on my blog about this topic. Twins run in her family AND like it’s been said, women over age 35 have a higher chance of conceiving multiples.

Infertility is not a disease, but a symptom. The foods we eat (fast food, processed foods), our activity levels and lifestyle choices (being overweight, smoking, heavy drinking), as well as the products we use can harm our fertility. I’ve heard of women being infertile because of pain medications their mothers took while giving birth to them. Disposable diapers also hold a lot of chemicals in them that effect fertility in our babies for later in life. There are also tubal, ovary, and uterine deficiencies that are often genetic. Why risk passing it on to your children? Also, some of these womens’ bodies were just never meant to carry a fetus to term. Infertility is what keeps our population in line. It’s not necessarily a bad thing. Is it really worth risking an innocent baby’s life and future health because you want to be pregnant so badly?

I can’t stand IVF, but I would never take that option away from another woman. ONE EMBRYO AT A TIME should be federal law, though.