Just a Guy Trying to Lose Some Weight

Women aren't the only ones who can't seem to shed that extra 10 pounds.

man on treadmill

Bruce Sallan: So, I had a little ski accident that I've already written about in "Just a Guy Overcoming His Fear." The only residual damage I've had is that I can't lose the weight I gained from the period in which I had to be relatively sedentary! I then went back to my usual routine of working out and couldn't bloody lose the extra 15 pounds! What gives?

My doc actually thinks the head injury might've affected what he calls each person's "set point" where his or her weight tends to stay. Sounds farfetched, but at least that theory takes me off the hook. But, it means I have to actually now change my diet and really watch my intake. I don't want to do that.

My younger son also has a minor weight issue, has his whole life, as he is one of those kids who just carry a little extra layer on him. He has the legitimate excuse that his metabolism has always been that way, but he's now firmly committed to do more exercise. What's my excuse?

I already exercise more than enough, so I have to change my diet. The result of all this is (as is so often the case) that I've become more empathetic to those who have struggled to lose weight all their lives. My son is the closest example. Why does it always take experiencing "it" ourselves for us to be sensitized to others' pain -- or am I just a guy?

next: Why Relationships Make People Stronger
BRuce Sallan January 23, 2010, 7:27 AM

Update - I’ve actually begun to lose a little weight FINALLY! But, it’s arduous and I still haven’t adjusted my diet sufficiently. My neurologist dismissed the whole “set point” theory and showed me in my 2nd MRI that the area that affects hunger is on the complete opposite side of the brain where my bleeding occured. He said, “anything is possible,” without much conviction, so I suppose my “excuse” is gone.

Denise January 23, 2010, 7:52 AM

Ha Ha! Welcome to world of most women Bruce! Consider yourself lucky that it hasn’t been a problem for so long. And, that you NEVER had to lose weight after having kids! Yup, you’re just a guy, but I do “love” you!

Jeff January 23, 2010, 8:25 AM

Bruce, for gosh sakes, now you’re writing about women’s topics? Just eat less and get back to your macho writing. Just kidding; we love you!

Anita (England) January 23, 2010, 9:11 AM

It’s when the six-pack gives way to the keg is the time to worry… Or when your wife squeezes you tum as if testing bread for its freshness… Or if the local children give you a name: one woman, I knew as a child, was called “Pregnant Pisspot” on account of her jelly belly and her incontinent dog… Now that is most definitely the time to worry. Be happy – oh, and breath in whenever your wife is around.

Wendi January 23, 2010, 9:32 AM

My hubby is right there with you. Seems that he has a will power problem, can’t just say no to the goodies. There was one point when all he cut out was soda, which was one or so a day and over a week he lost 5 pounds. Boy was I so jealous, its not that easy for women. If you are exercising and it is only 15 pounds, don’t stress, enjoy life!

Jen January 23, 2010, 10:33 AM

No, I think it’s that you had to go through it first to truly empathise. I find that is what empathy is, truly walking in someone’s shoes. It’s hard to understand when you haven’t gone through it. However, I do think that woman can experience empathy more than men without actually going through experience too, so there it is kind of a men and women thing as well. Just my oppinion… Life is always grey, no black or white for me. This is an argument my Dad and I have all the time, he is a black or white person.

Kathi Browne January 25, 2010, 7:45 AM

My husband would appreciate your post. I prodded him for years to work out with me but he wouldn’t. When he saw himself in a beach picture a couple of years ago, he started a new habit of working out… just not with me (boo). Then last year we started working out together and supporting each other. Made a big difference for both of us. But he still couldn’t get past that number his body wanted to stick with, and he thought changing his diet was going to be too rough. It wasn’t.

I started using whole wheat everything (pasta, bread, etc.) where I could, and we cut back on meat portions by just not putting more on the table. We started having fun experimenting with veggies (check out my roasted red pepper pasta recipe on my site) and loved the new tastes. We also started snacking on flavored almonds (love the smoked ones), fruits, and grain bars instead of sweet crap.

He’s now wearing his skinny pants and I’m still battling the last 10 lbs. (UGHHH!)

hotel tuerkei March 22, 2010, 3:31 PM

Pass Clothes,solicitor sum launch express busy as odd fix separate meal block occur since vary key close after buy recognize hate element significance poor food out treat security song society belong manager garden earn amount up so think award route widely expenditure band heart politics present less academic relatively follow distance corporate likely price peace academic ship little hear separate body sing part investment available book become gun hard coal lay perfect law chance alright under formal return mechanism farm above urban right programme goal combination about campaign use football connect bright according match approach child