Kids and Caffeine = A Bad Mix

Too much can even send your kid to the hospital.

girl drinking soda

Energy drinks have never been more popular ... especially with tweens and teens. But having too much caffeine can be so serious that it requires a call to a poison-control line or a trip to the emergency room, especially for people younger than the age of 19, reports KOCO.

"The number of calls that we've received about energy drinks has tripled, and I think that's just the tip of the iceberg," Oklahoma City Poison Control Center manager Lee McGoodwin said.

According to the National Institutes of Health, the symptoms of caffeine poisoning can also include breathing trouble and diarrhea. If a trip to the ER is required, doctors may use a laxative or even stomach-pumping to prevent any more stimulants from entering the bloodstream.

We asked ML pediatrician Dr. Cara Natterson how caffeine may affect your child. Here's what she had to say:

• The jury is out on whether caffeine really demineralizes (thins) the bones. Some studies suggest it does; some say it doesn't.
  • Caffeine works best at low to moderate doses, increasing alertness, energy, and concentration; speeding and clarifying the flow of thought; increasing focus; and improving coordination.
  • Caffeine is a diuretic and can cause a little bit of dehydration (almost always very mild); it is also associated with headaches.
  • The main issue with caffeine and children is that caffeine tends to show up in drinks that are high in sugar and calories. These drinks (especially sodas) are associated with weight gain and, ultimately, obesity.
  • Worldwide, the average person consumes 76 mg of caffeine per day. But in the U.S. and Canada, this number jumps to around 220 mg, and in Sweden and Finland, people ingest more than 400 mg a day (and almost all of this is from coffee).
  • At high doses, negative effects begin to take over. Excessive caffeine can make you jittery or nervous; you can have trouble sleeping; it can make you feel anxious or restless; it can cause problems with concentration; it can upset the stomach; it can increase your heart rate (sometimes making it feel like your heart is pounding) or raise your blood pressure; and it can cause headaches. This is generally not enough to do serious damage, but enough to feel awful.
  • People used to think that caffeine stunted growth, but this turns out to be untrue.

Bottom line: Talk to your kids about their caffeine intake and warn them of the harmful side effects.

see more photos see more photos
Considering Cookies? Weigh Your Options Don't Buy Beauty Products, Just Eat This!

next: Agencies Pull Ad After Outrage at 'Career Women Make Bad Mothers' Billboard
max generation April 4, 2011, 11:55 AM

Thanks for another informative web site. Where else could I am getting that type of information written in such an ideal means? I have a project that I am just now working on, and I’ve been at the glance out for such information.

rankpay April 4, 2011, 12:00 PM

Grand poteau ! Merci pour prendre le temps d’écrire quelque chose qui est réellement en valeur la lecture. Trop souvent je trouve l’information inutile et pas quelque chose qui sont réellement appropriées. Merci pour votre dur labeur.

ThinSolarPanels April 4, 2011, 7:04 PM

Normally I do not make comments on blogs, however I have got to state that this post really forced me to do this. Genuinely exceptional article.

Milo Brockmann April 5, 2011, 5:43 AM

to have such fast math

nokia n900 April 5, 2011, 11:29 AM

%BLOGTITLE%, it is bullshit

Dorothy O. Holland April 5, 2011, 2:31 PM

Hello there, - discovered your current website by chance while looking around the net this evening, and glad that I did! I do like the page structure and colours, but I really should say that I’m having problems when it loads. I’m making use of Flock 1 browser for mac, and the menu block won’t align completely. i am confident applied an identical design on a company’s online site, but the menu seems fine on mine. I imagine the problem is with my browser & just maybe it’s about time to swap!

scrapebox April 5, 2011, 2:56 PM

Hello. Thank you for posting this!

BMW news April 5, 2011, 9:16 PM

Hey compañero, realmente tenido gusto este poste. Can’ t parece conseguirlo para dar formato a la derecha en Internet Explorer, se dobla todo para arriba, pero no trabaja muy bien en Firefox tan ninguna preocupación.

program tv April 6, 2011, 4:24 AM

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great. I do not know who you are but definitely you’re going to a famous blogger if you are not already ;) Cheers!

Christopher Silla April 6, 2011, 7:49 AM

Good post and right to the point. I don’t know if this is really the best place to ask but do you people have any ideea where to employ some professional writers? Thx :)

Solar Pv Energy April 6, 2011, 8:25 AM

Bless you a whole lot for creating this!

customizable t-shirts April 6, 2011, 9:07 AM

I admire the precious knowledge you be offering for your articles. I can bookmark your weblog and have my children check up right here generally. I’m slightly sure they are going to be informed lots of new stuff here than anybody else!

vacations to go April 6, 2011, 12:30 PM

Valuable information and excellent design you got here! I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and time into the stuff you post!! Thumbs up!

notebooki April 6, 2011, 4:17 PM

Cool share it is really. I’ve been waiting for this update.

Life Plus April 6, 2011, 4:30 PM

Aw, this was a very high quality post. In theory Id like to write like this as well taking time and real effort to build a very good article but what can I say I procrastinate alot and by no means glimpse to obtain something done.

Life Plus international April 6, 2011, 7:23 PM

Brilliant, cheers, I will subscribe to you RSS soon!

Life Plus international April 6, 2011, 9:59 PM

Could you message me with a few hints about how you made this site look this awesome , I would be appreciative.

slippa akne April 7, 2011, 12:23 AM

Its wonderful as your other content : D, thankyou for putting up.

contemporary art paintings new york April 7, 2011, 4:33 AM

Thumbs up for that meaning yes. It gives the whole information.

Portage IN Bankruptcy Lawyers April 7, 2011, 12:45 PM

I’m always looking for these kinds of posts but its not easy to find such good information.