'Mom, Am I Fat?'

Jess Weiner is an author, self-esteem expert, consultant, and media personality who inspires audiences worldwide with her authentic take on living a confident life. Jess has a 7-year-old little girl in her life.

jess weiner

As we're all super sensitive to body image and dieting this time of year, we had the pleasure of chatting with Jess about how to appropriately handle our daughters' body issues, as well as our own.

Momlogic: With the most common New Year's resolution to lose weight, is there ever a situation when a mom and daughter dieting together is a good thing?

Jess Weiner: I wish it was as black and white. It depends on a couple factors. I didn't have a good experience dieting with my mom. I was put on a diet way too young (I was 11), and that was not the best idea. As I was not in puberty yet, it sets you up for a lot of misery, and is definitely not an appropriate way to teach a girl about diet and hunger.

With that said, there are always circumstances when empowering -- at a later time -- is appropriate, when you're able to understand that the diet isn't the end result.

ML: For a mom who's trying to lose weight, what do you say when your child asks, at the dinner table, why won't you eat the cookie, or brownie or cake, etc.?

JW: Before you get to the dinner table, it's important to have a conversation with your kids about health -- away from food, so that it's not a surprise. A lot of times girls can see their family members refrain from eating or going on extreme diets and not know it's coming. You must have a conversation.

ML: How should that conversation play out?

JW: It's okay for a mom to say to her child that there are things that are good for your body as a kid that no longer feel good for my body as an adult. "Mommy is going to make choices for her health and they don't have to be the same for you." I always recommend using the word "choices" in place of "dieting" -- this better sets you up for success.

"Mom will make choices for mommy, and you can make choices for you." You can't project your dieting woes on your daughter. You don't want to miss a great opportunity to discuss empowering them about their own health and their own body.

Moms must remember, their childrens' bodies are not identical to their own. Their hunger, their cravings are not yours.

ML: What are the biggest mistakes moms make when talking about their own body image?

JW: The Tourette's syndrome with the fat words. If a mom is dressed and having a meltdown -- "Oh mommy is so fat" -- this can be an appropriate expression for moms to get it out of their systems, but never helpful for us to beat ourselves up in front of our kids. I would advise: meltdowns will happen; rather than focus on prevention -- what do you do when it happens? Always an opportunity (at a later point, away from food) to say: "I want to talk to you about how I have been describing myself lately. I am frustrated because I want to feel better about my body, but I want you to know your body is beautiful." There is always a place to repair with conversation.

Moms beat themselves up because they have already said it.

Just because you dropped the "F-bomb" doesn't mean the conversation is over -- you haven't doomed your child forever. We need to pump ourselves with more forgiveness. Eat more, sleep less, stress out -- everyone has let go, it's about moderating and forgiveness.

ML: What is the biggest mistake moms make when having a daughter who is overweight?

JW: Pushing the dieting button over and over again. People who are fat know they are fat. They are already beating themselves up. That's your own motherly shame and embarrassment.

Get yourself straight before you talk to them about help.

ML: How do you turn the weight conversation into one about empowerment?

JW: I talk to them about taking care of their bodies. Find a fun way to do that every single day.

Tell your child it's okay to feel rundown and hungry -- it's natural. You want to take care of your body like you would a pet. Keep it in the third person. Ask the question: "Have you moved your body today?"

ML: What do you say when your daughter asks, "Mom, am I fat?"

Get the answer and enter to win a copy of Jess's book!

next: Florida Man Crashes Car Into Restaurant, Orders Breakfast
Alva Rapozo March 16, 2011, 6:08 PM

I know this can be extremely boring and you are skipping to ensuing comment, but I just wished to throw you a big thanks you cleared up some things for me!

Warren Standifer March 17, 2011, 9:17 PM

Hello just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let you know a few of the images aren’t loading correctly. I’m not sure why but I think its a linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different browsers and both show the same outcome.

hcg diet March 18, 2011, 4:24 AM

The website doesn’t seem right Internet Explorer ( maybe it’s just me) however the article flows over on top of the comment forms textbox so you have txt ontop of other txt

singles chat March 18, 2011, 1:46 PM

Hey there! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and say I truly enjoy reading your articles. Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that cover the same topics? Thanks a ton!

Les Korczynski March 18, 2011, 5:01 PM

The subsequent time I learn a weblog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I imply, I do know it was my option to learn, however I actually thought youd have something interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you could possibly repair if you happen to werent too busy searching for attention.

andrea bocelli sacred arias March 19, 2011, 2:46 AM

Hello there! This post couldn’t be written any better! Reading this post reminds me of my old room mate! He always kept talking about this. I will forward this page to him. Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thank you for sharing!

Asics Gel Duomax March 19, 2011, 8:14 AM

I hope you will keep updating your content constantly as you have one dedicated reader here.

Lane Danielian March 19, 2011, 4:56 PM

Real glorious information may be found on website here.

vigrx plus March 19, 2011, 7:54 PM

That fantabulous post this has been. Within no way seen this kind associated with useful post. I’m grateful to you and anticipate much more associated with posts such as. Thank you very much.

gnc store locator March 20, 2011, 4:12 PM

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complex and extremely broad for me. I’m looking forward for your next post, I’ll try to get the hang of it!

buy gps March 20, 2011, 4:58 PM

I must say that this post is the most relevant article I’ve ever read and saw. It’s a great help to everyone who is looking for this information.

scooters electric March 20, 2011, 5:25 PM

I admire and am a BIG fan of your website! Hope you can take the time to find out my website.

job hiring March 20, 2011, 5:36 PM

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel can come across any facts in write-up and discus forum

nixon watch March 20, 2011, 6:46 PM

great article! ill be coming back! do you mind if i share this?

digital camera buy March 20, 2011, 8:43 PM

Wonderful posting. Quite refreshing offered all the duplicate articles available. Cheers for doing some thing original.

tablet xoom March 20, 2011, 9:19 PM

Howdy! I simply would like to give a huge thumbs up for the great information you could have here on this post. I might be coming again to your weblog for more soon.

tablet pc March 20, 2011, 9:19 PM

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was good. I don’t know who you are but certainly you are going to a famous blogger if you aren’t already ;) Cheers!

head shop March 20, 2011, 10:22 PM

halo reach ranks March 21, 2011, 1:14 AM

Heh, I like that you tell it how it is and do not bother trying to sugar coat it. By the way, this post must be getting some attention because I found it on the first page of bing

buy ereader March 21, 2011, 5:11 AM

thanks about your post. very gud.