Mom of Seven in Haiti Recounts the Horror

A mother living and serving in Haiti gives us a firsthand account of the devastation and destruction there.

haiti earthquake

Tara Livesay, mom of 7: The sun is about to come up. The aftershocks continue. Some more noticeable than others. There is no way to even begin to share the things we've heard and seen since 5:00 PM Tuesday. To do so would take hours that we don't have to give right now. Some of them feel wrong to tell. Like only God should know these personal horrible tragedies.

The few things we can confirm: Yes, the four-story Caribbean Market building is completely demolished. Yes, it was open. Yes, the National Palace collapsed. Yes, government buildings nearby the Palace collapsed. Yes, St. Joseph's Boys' Home completely collapsed. Yes, countless, countless -- countless other houses, churches, hospitals, schools, and businesses have collapsed. There are buildings that suffered almost no damage. Right next door will be a pile of rubble.

Thousands of people are currently trapped. To guess at a number would be like guessing at raindrops in the ocean. Precious lives hang in the balance. When pulled from the rubble, there is no place to take them for care. Haiti has an almost nonexistent medical care system for her people.

I cannot imagine what the next few weeks and months will be like. I am afraid for everyone. Never in my life have I seen people stronger than Haitian people. But I am afraid for them. For us.

When the quake hit, it took many seconds to even process what was happening. The house was rocking back and forth in a way that I cannot even begin to describe. It felt fake. It felt like a movie. Things were crashing all over the house. It felt like the world was ending. I do not know why my house stands and my children all lie sleeping in their beds right now. It defies logic, and my babies were spared while thousands of others were not.

There are friends and coworkers that are missing. People whom no one can account for. People we work with and love. There are more than I can name, but in particular, we wait on one single friend who lived near the Hotel Montana -- which has reportedly collapsed. The horror has only just begun, and I beg you to get on your knees -- I truly mean ON YOUR KNEES and pray for the people of this country. The news media might forget in a few days -- but people will still be trapped alive and suffering. Pray. Pray. Pray. After that -- PLEASE PRAY.

next: Don't Be Afraid of Canned Protein!
rugbymom January 14, 2010, 8:16 PM

as I read this, tears well up in my eyes. I am so sorry. I cannot imagine what you are going through/have been through. I will get on my knees and pray right now for you and your family and the people of that country.

systems February 1, 2011, 4:10 PM

I have been reading someone elses site and saw you on their blogroll and next I come to your web site.

centrum handlowe February 2, 2011, 7:12 AM

Cool, I finally stumbled towards website with regards to this! I came to be daydreaming about it that morning and now I determine this kind of web.

relaksacyjna muzyka February 2, 2011, 8:16 AM

Ello, I can’t understand how with add the website inside my rss bookworm. Could you Accommodate me, satisfy Your guitar sounds like you’re producing harms yourself from demanding to be able to crack this kind of concern instead of looking at why their own can be a issue in the beginning of the process.

Laweta Warszawa February 25, 2011, 10:57 AM

What I do not understand is how youre not even more trendy than you are at the moment. Youre just so intelligent. You recognize much about this topic, made me give it some thought from a lot of different angles. It’s like blogger aren’t interested unless it has another thing to do with Lady Gaga!

Pokoje gościnne Maria Kraków February 26, 2011, 5:22 PM

What I do not comprehend is how you are not even more popular than you are now. Youre just so clever. You know so much about this topic, made me give it some thought from so many totally different angles. It’s like persons aren’t fascinated unless it has something to do with Lady Gaga!

Konferansjerzy February 27, 2011, 6:30 AM

This can be a very helpful publicize. This would be able to help me and even my web publication. May I know where you educated how to write such as this?

Wywiad gospodarczy February 27, 2011, 7:44 AM

Now i’m regularly to blogging and site-building and i absolutely admire your articles. This great article seems to have really peaks my interest. I’m going to book mark a person’s web site plus preserve checking for brand spanking new information and facts.