twitter facebook stumble upon rss

My Son Died After Swallowing a Button Battery

sign up for the momlogic newsletter Tweet This

A mom of three lost her precious baby ... now she wants to warn other moms about this hidden danger.

aidan truett

Michelle Truett: My 1-year-old baby boy Aidan recently passed away on November 22, 2009. Unbeknownst to us, he had swallowed a button battery.

Aidan had just turned 1 in October, and had always been a very healthy child. (I have two other kids -- ages 9 and 4.) In mid-November, he showed signs of having the flu -- he was not holding any food down.

I took him to the doctor, and he said he had a viral infection and sent us home.

But he was not getting better -- he was getting worse. We took him back the next day and said we thought he had swallowed something. They did an X-ray of his stomach, but didn't find anything.

The next day, he had increased saliva and was so congested, so we took him for a second opinion. They didn't find anything.

We just knew something was wrong. We went to five or six doctor's appointments in a week and a half. We kept saying, 'We think he has swallowed something." Exactly one week after the first X-ray, they did another one, and found a button battery in his stomach.

We have no idea where Aidan got the battery. We checked all the toys and remotes in our house and in his babysitter's house, and none were found missing. I guess we'll never know where he got it from.

Surgery to remove the battery was done on the 19th. They removed it successfully and said everything would be okay. They didn't see any signs of irritation or anything.

Aidan came home that evening without any complications, but still had the congestion. They said that was from his viral respiratory infection.

Two days later, on Saturday night around 9:45 PM, I heard Aidan coughing in his crib. I ran up to find him sitting up in his crib completely covered in blood.

I'm a nurse, so I took him downstairs and swiped his mouth. It was full of blood clots. My baby boy was hemorrhaging.

Aidan had gone into cardiac arrest. I started CPR. He was then transported to the ER and airlifted to the local children's hospital. Nobody was ever able to revive him, despite several hours of advanced cardiac life support.

After four hours of trying, there was nothing more that could be done. My son was pronounced dead at 2:30 AM on Sunday, November 22nd.

We had an autopsy, because we had a feeling his death had to do with the battery. I was told after the autopsy that an erosion was found in his esophagus leading to the aorta. We are assuming this is from the battery ingestion. A final report has not yet been given to us.

I feel if they could have found the battery sooner, when we first brought him to the doctor, this could have had a different outcome. A full week passed between our first and second X-rays. The button probably sat inside his esophagus for quite some time in order for it to erode like it did. You would have thought they would have seen something when they went in to remove the button battery from his stomach.

Now, I am trying to get the word out to other mothers about the dangers of button batteries. I hope I can even spare one parent this pain. We had a perfect child one minute, and the next minute he was gone.

Keep button batteries out of reach of children. Treat them as if they are dangerous medications. Don't leave them lying around for any reason. You never know if your kids or if your kids' friends will get ahold of them. They're tiny disks, and they're shiny, so they're appealing to babies and toddlers. They come in singing greeting cards, watches, and handheld games. A lot of toys for kids have them. You have to be so careful.

My message for medical professionals is to listen to the parents. I'm a mom who doesn't take her kids to the doctor for every little thing. But I was at the doctor six times in a week and a half because I knew something was wrong. I feel like they kind of brushed me off a bit. I'm not the kind of person who wants to blame, but I hope they can take this as a learning experience.

I really feel it is necessary to get my story out there to prevent any more tragedies like this. Hospitals, doctors, and parents need to understand the life-threatening danger of these batteries.

If we can help save another life, it's like Aidan will live on in some way.

aidan truett



next: Cybill Shepherd's Son Arrested After Flight
51 comments so far | Post a comment now
Eryn Kindberg March 16, 2011, 12:45 PM

oversize tally you sit on

Floria Bettinson March 16, 2011, 2:39 PM

This weblog seems to recieve a large ammount of visitors. How do you advertise it? It offers a nice unique spin on things. I guess having something authentic or substantial to say is the most important thing.

scrapebox proxies March 29, 2011, 1:37 PM

There are a lot of strange comments on here.

Rachel N. Snyder March 29, 2011, 4:14 PM

Exciting

Roger A. Sanders March 31, 2011, 3:56 AM

Exciting

Stacey H. Chapman April 5, 2011, 7:05 AM

Hi folks, - found your site unintentionally whilst roaming around the web this evening, and pleased that i did! I like the page layout and colours, but I have to say that I’m having trouble when it loads. I’m using Classilla 9 web browser for mac, and the menu block fails to lineup well. i’m convinced I have employed the exact same design on a customer’s site, but the menu seems okay on mine. I think the fault is at my end and I guess it’s about time to upgrade!

Alicia I. Higgins April 8, 2011, 5:57 AM

Helpful

Eric A. Dawson April 9, 2011, 1:26 PM

Valuable

Anonymous May 2, 2011, 5:28 PM

I am so very sorry for your loss. I came upon your story as I was researching a child swallowing a battery. My four year old son swallowed a button battery and because I read your story, i immediately brought him to the er, rather than attempting to be sure the battery passed in his stool. Luckily, the battery had passed to his stomach, rather than staying in his esophogas. Thanks for sharing your story. and again, I am so sorry for your loss. :(

Jenelle May 5, 2011, 3:32 AM

I Feel so sorry for this family,I understand your frustration at being fobbed off! This year my 16yr old son has been very ill and I took him 5 times to the Dr and he was seen in the same practice by different Doctors as when he became ill our usual Dr was unavailable or booked out. I was told the 6th time i went there was nothing wrong although the 4th time we went i was able to see my preferred dr and he suspected my son had gallstones. I asked the different Dr to get a scan done as our normal GP said he suspected he had gallstones. He argued with me at first and said he doesn’t need it and has just pulled a muscle or has a fractured rib! I DEMANDED a scan an low and behold my son had 8 huge gallstones lodged his gall bladder which had been causing grief for 4 months! He was put into surger 4 day’s later to have his gall bladder removed. I am thankful he didn’t become seriously ill and we were able to catch this before it became acute! If it wasn’t for my persistence and firm demand nothing would have been done. Sometimes i believe you have to be a bit pushy when it comes to Dr’s and Hospitals!

louis vuitton wallet May 5, 2011, 6:15 AM

What a rubbish. How can you call it a website. Change the style, so it will be a bit more interesting


Leave a reply:



(not displayed)

     




Avoid clicking "Post" more than once
Back to top >>
advertisement