New Does NOT Mean Clean!

Ever buy clothes and just stick 'em on without a wash? This report from will change your mind -- and turn your stomach!

woman trying out jeans

Vivian Manning-Schaffel: Folks have long ragged on my compulsive need to rip the tags off and wash new clothes the minute I get them home, but this report from "Good Morning America" totally vindicates my actions!

They tested a variety of store-bought clothing -- from pants to underwear to blouses -- from three different retail chains and the results will give you PAUSE.

Their expert, Dr. Philip Tierno, director of microbiology and immunology at New York University, found bacteria all over the place. And here's where it gets extra NASTY.

"On a jacket, Tierno discovered evidence of feces, skin flora and respiratory secretions, especially in the armpit and 'close to the buttocks.'" And on a silk blouse, he discovered
"vaginal organisms, yeast and more fecal germs."

Makes you wonder exactly what folks get up to when trying on clothes in a dressing room! I mean, seriously ... what's the matter with toilet paper? Do people really think their a$$ is so haute that only silk will do?

Tierno goes on to explain that these germs, or "organisms," can "survive weeks or even months on clothes."

"Some garments were grossly contaminated with many organisms ... indicating that either many people tried it or ... someone tried it on with heavy contamination. In a sense, you are touching somebody's armpit or groin. You may not come down with anything and, most cases you don't, but it's potentially possible."

Aside from diarrhea, clothes can also carry nasty bugs like norovirus and MRSA (a staph bacteria), Tierno said.

Um. EW!

Let me guess ... you're doing laundry now, aren't you?

next: Meet Jon Gosselin's New Girlfriend
Akilah Sakai January 11, 2010, 1:28 PM

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little. I always wash undies and bras before wearing but I am willing to admit wearing brand new shirts without washing them first. Grossness! How does stuff like feces get anywhere near a jacket?! I’m getting the dry heaves now.
Must.Go.Vomit.

Sara January 11, 2010, 1:44 PM

I am not surprised. How many people have you watched go into a bathroom stall go to the bathroom and not wash their hands. Gross. Not to mention most things are put on a truck to be shipped to a store. And if you think a couple boxes of clothes are the only thing on that truck your crazy. So yes I wash all brand new clothes. I also wash all brand new toys. Am I nuts maybe. But my husband was a truck driver and I am all to aware of the hazards. Maybe that is why my kids don’t get sick all the time.

Aliomaley January 11, 2010, 2:09 PM

I bought a pair of jeans once and I didn’t inspect them before I left the store. When I went to put them on they had dried poo all over the inside! GROSS!

jennifer January 12, 2010, 3:06 AM

OMG, who would’ve thought, what the heck do people think you never realize how may dirty people are out there. I am so glad for this article, thanks.

Angie January 12, 2010, 3:54 AM

I am not surprised either. People are nasty!

sharon salas January 12, 2010, 4:16 AM

OMG!!!! I ONCE SAW THE EMAIL ABOUT THE LADY WITH THE WORMS IN HER BREASTS FROM TRYING ON A BRA, NOW I WASH EVERYTHING OR BRING IT TO THE DRY CLEANERS IF I WANT THE FRESH PRESSED LOOK.

sharon salas January 12, 2010, 4:18 AM

OMG! I ONCE SAW THE EMAIL ABOUT THE WOMAN WHO HAD WORMS IN HER BREASTS FROM TRYING ON A BRA FROM A FOREIGN COUNTRY. NOW I WASH EVERYTHING!

Mimi January 12, 2010, 5:29 AM

My 18 yr old will absolutely DIE when I tell her this. hahahaha Wish I could be down at the college campus when I share this gem of information!

lovetamale January 12, 2010, 6:17 AM

The part that sucks is that I try on most clothes before I buy them, and if you take it home and wash it before trying it on, it makes it kinda hard to return the item if it doesn’t fit right. Ugh, too gross.

Anonymous January 12, 2010, 7:33 AM

Wow! It’s hard to believe that we co-habitate on a planet with people that secretly have such nasty behavior. Either way, I feel like I’m going to puke.

LisainKC January 12, 2010, 7:49 AM

Gross, just gross!

Diana January 12, 2010, 8:02 AM

I think I will carry Lysol with me when I shop. Can you imagine what is on bathing suits?

Ann W. January 12, 2010, 12:44 PM

Ok, this is really gross. I usually do just because I thought they might be dirty (i.e. dust). A lot of times I wouldn’t if I got the item from an upscale store. But no more—now EVERY item will be washed.

Anonymous January 12, 2010, 1:27 PM

I am disabled and live in a nursing home so I always buy my clothing from mail order. I can’t imagine but I’m sure that it happens there also because things are mailed out and if they don’t fit are sent back,so from now on I will be more concious before trying things on. Thanks for the info

wendy January 12, 2010, 3:12 PM

Nasty,nasty and nasty!My sister used to work at a bank and they tested the money to see what was actually living on it and the results were horrific!They found germs,skin,feces and all types of nasty bugs.Most of the money had drugs on it also.And my sister called and told me not to ever put money in my mouth while say digging for a coupon or something at the store.Then i realized something else,when guys go to those strip clubs you know where they put the money,right,iCK?!

Lisa January 12, 2010, 4:40 PM

Gross…but it really doesn’t surprise me, folks are so nasty now and days!

jen January 13, 2010, 7:00 AM

You know what we live in a dirty world where everything that surrounds us is contaminated with many different bacteria. Regardless of who you are we all carry bacteria and clothing stores may be gross, but imagine what’s on doors you touch or that train you catch! Our bodies need a healthy amout of bacteria just to be immunized to what we are surrounded with.

gnan3 January 13, 2010, 5:42 PM

nothing new, could have told you that years ago!

Karen January 13, 2010, 9:17 PM

it is sad that we have to live in a world that people that make our clothes don’t care what gets on the clothes that we buy,or when they try them on they don’t care where they bodies have been. They also throw the clothes on the dirty floor at the store & don’t care what been on the floor at all.

Gloria De Candia January 16, 2010, 5:48 AM

I bought a black turtle neck sweater from Macy’s Dept Store in Staten Island last year, end of sale after Xmas , big mistake, the first time I tried to wear it I itched I had to take ir off. The underarm smell was so bad I had to have it dry cleaned then they found to little holes in the seam at the top of the shoulder it had an argyle inset in the front with black bugle beads,nice looking sweater, I paid at the time on sale from Macy,s 35.00 big mistake. P.S. I always wash or dry clean clothes I buy especially for my grand kids. There are pigs out their.Some one returned it after wearing it and I got stuck.