New Does NOT Mean Clean!

Ever buy clothes and just stick 'em on without a wash? This report from will change your mind -- and turn your stomach!

woman trying out jeans

Vivian Manning-Schaffel: Folks have long ragged on my compulsive need to rip the tags off and wash new clothes the minute I get them home, but this report from "Good Morning America" totally vindicates my actions!

They tested a variety of store-bought clothing -- from pants to underwear to blouses -- from three different retail chains and the results will give you PAUSE.

Their expert, Dr. Philip Tierno, director of microbiology and immunology at New York University, found bacteria all over the place. And here's where it gets extra NASTY.

"On a jacket, Tierno discovered evidence of feces, skin flora and respiratory secretions, especially in the armpit and 'close to the buttocks.'" And on a silk blouse, he discovered
"vaginal organisms, yeast and more fecal germs."

Makes you wonder exactly what folks get up to when trying on clothes in a dressing room! I mean, seriously ... what's the matter with toilet paper? Do people really think their a$$ is so haute that only silk will do?

Tierno goes on to explain that these germs, or "organisms," can "survive weeks or even months on clothes."

"Some garments were grossly contaminated with many organisms ... indicating that either many people tried it or ... someone tried it on with heavy contamination. In a sense, you are touching somebody's armpit or groin. You may not come down with anything and, most cases you don't, but it's potentially possible."

Aside from diarrhea, clothes can also carry nasty bugs like norovirus and MRSA (a staph bacteria), Tierno said.

Um. EW!

Let me guess ... you're doing laundry now, aren't you?

next: Meet Jon Gosselin's New Girlfriend
Jen January 16, 2010, 11:04 AM

I Knew there was a good reason I didnt like trying on clothes before I buy them! I will never ever wear something before washing it first ever again eewwww!!!

Anonymous January 18, 2010, 7:28 PM

HOW CAN i FORWARD THIS TO MY EMAIL CONTACT LIST?

Fashion Merchandising October 12, 2010, 3:35 PM

I’m a Senior Lecturer within the Cultural Studies department at Central Saint Martins exactly where I’m also doing work on a project for the marketplace.

Free Business Organizational Chart Template December 15, 2010, 12:06 AM

Whenever you hear the consensus of scientists agrees on something or other, reach for your wallet, because you’re being had.

Wedding Ceremony Program Ideas December 15, 2010, 12:30 AM

The Constitution gives every American the inalienable right to make a damn fool of himself.

Merchant Account December 23, 2010, 10:43 AM

As a member of the fashion market, I salute you.

Evelyn Gacek January 24, 2011, 10:36 PM

Many thanks this writeup, I am a business enterprise teacher in St. Louis and I found this to be very useful.

Dark red hair February 13, 2011, 5:59 AM

I’m astounded by people who want to ‘know’ the universe when it’s hard enough to find your way around Chinatown.

varicella vaccine February 19, 2011, 3:12 AM

Would you be eager about exchanging hyperlinks?

chicken pox vaccine side effects February 23, 2011, 3:07 PM

Frickin’ awesome things here. I am very glad to see your post. Thanks a lot and i am looking forward to contact you. Will you please drop me a mail?

square wedding cakes with ribbon March 8, 2011, 3:04 AM

Your first appearance, he said to me, is the gauge by which you will be measured; try to manage that you may go beyond yourself in after times, but beware of ever doing less.

hanging room dividers screens March 8, 2011, 2:43 PM

Most people, when they criticize, whether they like it or hate it, they’re talking about product. That’s not art, that’s the result of art. Art, to whatever degree we can get a handle on (I’m not sure that we really can) is a process. It begins in the heart and the mind with the eyes and hands.

tabletki na pryszcze April 3, 2011, 7:29 AM

Very interesting info, i’m waiting for more !!! Keep updating your site and you will have a lot o readers