Oklahoma Rep. Wants to Outlaw Divorce

Do you think this is a good thing?

Oklahoma state rep Sally Kern

Momlogic's Julie: Oklahoma state Rep. Sally Kern is at it again.

A while back, she said that homosexuals are a bigger threat to this nation than terrorists. Now she wants to outlaw divorce on the grounds of incompatibility in her state!

Under the republican's legislation, reports KOCO, a judge in Oklahoma would not be able to grant a divorce on the grounds of incompatibility if the couple has a child, the marriage has lasted longer than 10 years, or either party objects to the breakup.

Under her bill, Kern said, couples would still be able to get divorced on the grounds of adultery, abandonment, and neglect of duty.

I'm from Oklahoma, and this really disturbs me. I hate the idea that "Big Brother" could tell me that I cannot get a divorce even if I want one. Kern says she is doing this for "the children." But I don't think forcing two parents who hate each other to stay together would be good for the children one bit.

Do you think that this divorce ban is a good idea ... or is it just plain nuts?

next: Kate Gosselin's New 'Do
chris January 6, 2010, 11:38 AM

This such seems so extreme to me. Why are most of the elected officials either sooo right or sooo left. I don’t want the government in my marriage, in my role as a parent, or in the middle of my health care.

Christina January 6, 2010, 12:03 PM

This is ridiculous. Politicians need to stop telling us what’s best for us and focus on the country’s bigger issues.

Who is SHE to tell us it’s wrong to divorce? Gimme a break…

Anonymous January 6, 2010, 12:29 PM

if both people want the divorce theres nothing against that. read again.

chris January 6, 2010, 12:35 PM

You are wrong anonymous, please read again:
Under the republican’s legislation, reports KOCO, a judge in Oklahoma would not be able to grant a divorce on the grounds of incompatibility if the couple has a child, the marriage has lasted longer than 10 years, or either party objects to the breakup.

Steve January 6, 2010, 12:44 PM

Yeah.. well by the looks of her, she’s just doing it so that if she ever does find a man, he can’t leave her…

razorknight January 6, 2010, 12:52 PM

“or either party objects to the breakup.”

if they both agree to the breakup, then it’s all gravy, chris

Sara January 6, 2010, 2:20 PM

What is neglect of duty?

The woman not putting out enough?

Not giving enough foot rubs?

Daring to get a job and not act like a proper wife?

chris January 6, 2010, 2:25 PM

Again, please read carefully:

Under the republican’s legislation, reports KOCO, a judge in Oklahoma would not be able to grant a divorce on the grounds of incompatibility if the couple has a child, the marriage has lasted longer than 10 years -
then blah blah blah about the couple agreeing.

Mike January 6, 2010, 2:36 PM

I don’t see why everyone has a problem with this. Marriage is a sacred and eternal bond between a man and a woman that should not be entered into without understanding the true finality of the contract. I mean that’s the argument against gay marriage right? If gays can’t get married, straights shouldn’t be able to get divorced the way I see it.

Michelle January 6, 2010, 6:04 PM

Actually in New York, a couple cannot be granted a divorce based upon incaptibility. New York does not have no-fault divorce. You have to allege cruelty, adultery, abandonment or be legally separated for one year.

allison January 7, 2010, 8:47 AM

If she did just a tiny bit of research on the affects of divorce on children, she would find that children of “good” divorces can be just as well adjusted as children of happily married parents. In fact, staying in a hostile family environment can have more adverse affects on the children than divorce. If she really is doing this “for the kids,” she should require divorce counseling instead, insuring that the parents understand the affects of divorce on children, and give them the tools to help their children adjust as well as possible. Forcing a child to stay in a situation where they are surrounded by hatred could lead to many more psychological problems in the long run, as well as confusion about healthy relationships and conflict resolution. It could also put them at a higher risk for a abuse caused by the stress of the unhappy parents. This woman needs to stop masking her religious beliefs under this ridiculous “for the kids” excuse.

Anonymous January 7, 2010, 12:49 PM

Oh my gosh. What a ridiculous ignorant person. Is this really the people we let lead our country? Seriously!!!!!!!!!

Kirstie January 7, 2010, 2:10 PM

Hey … if gays can’t get married because they’re taking away from the sanctity of marriage, heterosexuals shouldn’t break the sanctity of marriage by getting divorced just because they’re “incompatible.” Figure out your compatibility BEFORE you say I do. What happened to “til death do us part”?

just saying January 7, 2010, 3:59 PM

Kirstie, didn’t rosie o’donnell and her wife spilt up? It seem even homosexuals can’t figure out who they are compatible with either. And for the record, does she have to get a divorce like any regular heterosexual person has do?

Nicole January 7, 2010, 11:01 PM

I am not sure if I agree with this legislation, but I do agree that requiring counseling (divorce, marriage, and/or parenting) before granting a divorce would be a good idea.

Julia January 8, 2010, 7:01 AM

If two people, gay or straight, no longer want to be together for what ever reason, who’s business is it? THEIRS and THEIRS alone. As for the children, they can be just as happy and healthy in a home raised by only their mother as they can be in a home with both parents. My kids went through a horrible divorce with me and are more grounded and better adjusted (never getting into trouble and making honor roll grades) than a lot of kids where mom and dad are together, happy and dragging their kids to church every time the doors are open. If you don’t stay true to yourself and place yourself in stress free situations surrounded by people who are positive and encourage you to be positive, none of your relationships will work (friends, family, marriage or parenting). Just because two people “fell in love” doesn’t mean they can never fall out of love. It happens.

Anonymous January 8, 2010, 8:00 AM

I WISH THE GOVERNMENT WOULD STAY OUT OF OUR PERSONAL BUSINESS!

Aprilcot26 January 8, 2010, 11:38 AM

What a wacko! Glad I don’t live in Oklahoma…if she is the kind of person that represents their state I feel badly for them. Wow.

Sue January 11, 2010, 10:31 AM

I assume Sally can’t come up with something intelligent to propose. She must do something to make it look like she’s working.

Do you really want state reps in your marriage too?

Who votes for this nut anyway?

dtx January 27, 2010, 9:58 AM

Those of you that are so against this policy…are you married? Do you intend on divorcing your spouse just because you decide you don’t like them anymore or they don’t serve your needs like they “used to?” Chances are, if you want out of a marriage, both the husband and the wife have changed. We have to get back to the reasons why we married in the first place and make the decision to grow together, getting to know one another again and not give up on each other when times become unbearable.