PETA Targets the Duggars in New Ad

PETA is now using the 19 Duggar kids as poster children for their new ad promoting the spaying and neutering of cats and dogs.

the duggar family peta ad

"The Duggar kids will probably never need to worry about having a roof over their heads or food in their mouths, but the millions of unwanted cats and dogs born each year in this country aren't as lucky," says PETA Executive Vice President Daphna Nachminovitch. "The best way to keep cats and dogs out of animal shelters is to spay and neuter all four-legged family members."

PETA says one unspayed female cat and her offspring can create a whopping 420,000 cats in just seven years, and one unneutered male dog can father nearly limitless litters. Almost 8 million cats and dogs enter animal shelters every year in the U.S., and roughly half of those are euthanized.

duggars

The Duggar Family

next: Is Sugar Addiction for Real?
matt January 27, 2010, 2:17 PM

that family is so completely messed up its not even funny its called contraception

nikki January 27, 2010, 3:30 PM

I wouldn’t have the family that the Duggar’s have, that is just me. However, the Duggar family is happy, they love each other, take care of them selves and aren’t on government assistance. For peta to compare them to a litter of cats or dogs is just wrong. God bless the Duggar family.

Cybil January 27, 2010, 5:13 PM

The Duggars don’t believe in Contraception due to the fact that it led to the mom having a miscarriage back in the 80’s I think it was. Also it’s part of their religion. Certain religions will ban you if you us contraception to prevent pregnancy. I know because I was kicked out of my church for using birth control. I also agree with Nikki it was wrong and cruel of PETA to compare the Duggars to dogs and cats and their large litters. I have been upset with some off the adds and things that PETA has been doing recently I haven’t always agreed with them but some of the recent stuff has upset me greatly.

mom of 2 January 27, 2010, 5:40 PM

I love how people want to dog this family because they have so many children. This family is doing an exteremly good job of raising their kids and they get no assistance. Even without the TV show they would be fine.

But yet where is the outrage for those individuals that have 6 or 7 kids and live on government assistance. How about the ones that have 2 or 3 they can’t raise or afford and still continue to pop out more because they know the government will pay for them. Stupid.

Amy January 27, 2010, 6:49 PM

This is sick! A massive Anti-Christian attack against a family who adores their children instead of considering them a hassel. Do you have any idea what the average number of children per family the muslim population has? 8! I’m not attacking Muslims either, I’m just making a point. You don’t see PETA attacking muslims. How dare anyone justify the comparison of over-breeding animals with the happy, healthy, productive, character-rich family the Duggars have created. This is a direct attack on the family unit and Christianity. As I said SICK! Shame on PETA, and both of my fur babies are spayed. This was a low blow, one that has cost PETA my support. :( I hope others will unite and set some boundaries towards ad campaigns attacking families. The same type of thing was done prior to the Holocaust attacking Jews! Careful on what’s acceptable.

christabel January 27, 2010, 8:02 PM

ago heat 2001 january

Cheryl January 28, 2010, 5:37 AM

Once again, PETA has tried to be provocative in their advertisement, and only succeeded in alienating the very people that would be promoting their cause. The Duggars have alot of kids, but so what? They love and support them. It is shameful to compare these people to animals. I want to support the things PETA are against - namely cruelty to animals. I will not support their cruelty to humans. When will they learn??

b January 28, 2010, 9:32 AM

Well said, Cheryl. I completely agree. Who on earth would find this at all funny, let alone appropriate to put in public? I feel bad for those children who will now be compared to dogs. Too bad the civil rights movement doesn’t seem to be for people who choose to have children. When we think back 200 years ago, when we were saying that black slaves were little more than animals, we are disgusted at the way we treated other human beings. What a sad thing that we’ve now managed to backslide.

briellis January 28, 2010, 9:43 AM

Who cares? It’s not like the Duggars will ever see it. They’re not allowed to watch TV, remember?

Anonymous January 28, 2010, 10:37 AM

“The Duggars don’t believe in Contraception due to the fact that it led to the mom having a miscarriage back in the 80’s” Just to clear that up - Michelle (the mom) just believes it caused the miscarriage. Medically being on birth control does not cause a miscarriage.

While the Duggars are just so wrong in the treatment of their children(when your older children are 100% raising their siblings its time to stop breeding) - I don’t aprove of PETA using them.

Cheryl January 28, 2010, 10:54 AM

I don’t think the Duggars live a media free life, just very controlled. I am sure it will get back to them in one form or another, unfortunately.
@anonymous- ITA your children should not have to raise each other, but there are several who believe that contraception causes miscarriages. Peek over at any pro-life site. Not agreeing, just saying.

Jeff January 28, 2010, 11:13 AM

The Duggars are a revolting lot of overbred freaks, and PETA is 100% right for comparing them to a litter of animals. And, regarding Muslims, Jews, Catholics, Hindus or whatever other religion you’d care to point out—anything responsible for overpopulation and the general desecration of the planet by our ever-growing footprint is wrong. The revolting Duggars or the slummiest 15-year-old unwed mother in the gutter are no different.

Anonymous January 28, 2010, 11:36 AM

Amen Jeff

Amy January 28, 2010, 12:44 PM

I don’t think it’s irresponsible to have children who become compassionate, productive members of society. Our world actually benefits from such additions. How closed minded to think only about our carbon footprint and not about the positive side. What if your parents felt that way about you? And, as for the impact The Duggars have on The Earth… they recycle the stuff others discard. Europeans and Americans will be bred-out in 3 generations. Do the research. And, yes the jews were compared to overbred dogs and rats prior to the genocide of over 6 million jewish people! So were the Christian Amenians no one seems to remember. Thank God for The Duggars and other families like them trying to live according to God’s commands. May God Bless the Duggar’s and each of you reading this. :)

slimdave420 January 28, 2010, 2:49 PM

oh boo hoo. the Duggars are dogs. there is no excuse in this day and age to have 19 children, whether you can support them or not. one argument was that the muslims have an average of 8. so what is this to become a kiddie race instead of arms race? the reason religions don’t want you to use contraception is for that very reason, to build up the available armies and continue the faith so that the fat cats on top continue to receive their ill gotten gains, oh sorry their love offerings. the world is almost at the tipping point. we need to reduce family size not increase them. the chinese had it right with their 1 only policy. you breeders are something else. it’s always about pumping out as many as you can, pathetic and shameful.

b January 28, 2010, 5:49 PM

Shame on all of you who deplore and curse the Duggars for their family and their choice. Remember how you like to call the freedom to abort your babies “Pro Choice?” Let’s all remember that pro-choice has a flip side, and that’s the freedom to choose life. If you don’t like that, then maybe you should start calling it “pro-baby killing” or “anti-life inside the womb”… In any case, they certainly are free to have as many children as they want and so are you. They are in no way deserving of being called dogs any more than black people were deserving of being called monkeys or taxed at not even a full person’s rate. And before you spout out more of your archaic and ill-reasoned arguments about preserving natural resources, etc., read this: http://littlehouseinthesuburbs.com/2009/12/an-unpopular-truth.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LittleHouseInTheSuburbs+%28Little+House+in+the+Suburbs%29 and think again about how you live your life.

tennmom January 28, 2010, 6:30 PM

I will repeat myself: Yes, Peta often goes overboard.
I will repeat myself again: This brood mare of a mother should bear 100% of the responsibility of raising each and every child SHE chose to bring into the world. Robbing the older children of the childhood they deserve is cruel. No child should be asked to take on so much responsiblility in caring for a younger sibling.
To repeat myself yet again: There is no way 2 parents can give over a dozen children the individual attention a child needs.

Cheryl January 29, 2010, 4:46 AM

So.. I guess this discussion shows that PETA completely missed the mark. The argument here is whether or not the Duggars are good parents, not whatever the heck PETA was trying to bring attention to.
Advertisement=FAIL.

Anonymous January 29, 2010, 10:56 AM

I cant believe how rude some people are. What they do is THEIR business! They dont ask for government assistance and they seem to be doing pretty good, much better than some people who only have 1 or 2 kids! They are hurting anybody, its THEIR choice, just leave them alone and if they want more kids, then so be it!

Me January 29, 2010, 12:55 PM

That is so unfair. The Duggar’s are a WONDERFUL family who have done an amazing job of raising their children and without the help of the government. They are a wonderful family. PETA needs to find another route of getting their message across.