Plane and Simple

I had the opportunity to spend some time in the Miami airport yesterday, and I saw something that disturbed me.

woman carrying boxes of toys on plane

Brett Berk: No, it was not the extra-large chili cheese fries at the Nathan's Hot Dog stand, which come with a tiny pitchfork with which one is supposed to stab and slurp at them. And it was not the crappy public art atrium, which was filled with high school kids' lame drawings of palm trees and tropical fish. It was a bag. Not just any bag, but a large, clear plastic shopping bag that hung by its handles from the back of the stroller in which a young kid was being pushed toward the boarding line by his mother.

I wasn't worried about suffocation or consumerism or anything dangerous like that. No, the bag agitated me because it was literally filled to the brim with a wide and colorful variety of toys. Now no one wants to be that parent that's known as a killjoy, where the only "toys" in their playroom are a deck of cards and a chessboard. At the same time, there's such a thing as having too much stuff. Young kids are only capable of comparing a finite number of choices: two is optimal; three is pushing it. So when they're confronted with a bag-full, their processing system short-circuits, and they have a difficult time focusing and making effective choices.

I could readily imagine the long plane ride this family (and their fellow passengers) was in for, in which the well-intentioned (but severely misguided) parents would present one option after another -- car, doll, squoosh-ball, flashcard, drum, gun, ice cream maker, underpants bomb -- in their attempt to placate their fussy child, and the kid -- like a coke addict chasing that initial high -- used up each in increasingly rapid succession. There was no doubt that a tantrum would ensue.

So what to do instead? Well, first off, obviously limit your choices to a container that will fit in the overhead bin or the seat in front of you: these are shared spaces. Second, pick things that can be used multiple times -- we all know how kids love the word "again" -- or in multiple ways: a book, a couple handfuls of Legos, a box of crayons, and a pad of paper. Third, shy away from anything that has as one of its express purposes the making of noise -- this will likely only annoy other people.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, keep the number of options to a minimum. There is no way you can solve for every situation or need your child will confront on a plane ride, and often the more problems you try to plan for, the more you create (and the more you create an expectation that you'll be the person responsible for solving every one, which only reinforces the issue). One of the express goals in traveling (and in life) is to help your child to learn to happily enjoy and partake of what is present and available. The Sky Mall magazine makes an endlessly fascinating source for invented narratives. Air sickness bags can easily be decorated and transformed into puppets (and there's one in every seat) for fun performances.

And, though I'm usually too busy writing up a column like this to take note, the stuff passing outside the plane's windows is often pretty damn cool. So stop packing as though you've just mugged Santa, and help your kid (and yourself) live where you're at, wherever in the air that might be.

next: Recession Mama's New Year's Advice
Sara January 6, 2010, 4:40 AM

I’d rather be on that plane with the mother who brought to much than the mother that didn’t bother to bring anything to entertain her child throughout the flight.

Theresa January 6, 2010, 8:11 AM

Great tips as usual. Also, if you bring 10 toys on a plane, expect to lose most of them en route. This goes for legos and crayons too. If your kid is a binky-holic like mine, have multiple backups on hand.

Does GUNC have any advice for helping very physically active kids cope with small spaces like planes? Other than valium for all?

Vick  January 6, 2010, 8:19 AM

Maybe it was a family heading home from Christmas and those were the child’s gifts?

b January 6, 2010, 8:30 AM

sticker books are awesome, so is tape. so is anything that they wouldn’t normally be able to do. For instance, we don’t let our 2 yr old daughter watch tv or movies very often. One exception is on the plane. With a 2 yr old and a lap baby, we needed some guaranteed time where she would be good and entertained so we could do things like feed the baby and go to the bathroom. Anything new and novel is a good approach but it doesn’t have to be big, expensive or even a traditional toy, per se. And I was told by experienced travelers with children that it’s wise to have something new to do for every half hour of the flight.

chris January 6, 2010, 8:33 AM

My first thought was the same as Vick. You shouldn’t assume you know the reason that child had so many toys.

Holly January 6, 2010, 11:26 AM

This is exactly what annoys me about people when it comes to kids: they are judgmental! We just passed Christmas! You never know if the family was returning from visiting family and those were the gifts that wouldn’t fit in the suitcase! The author was also sitting in Miami airport, where many international travelers pass through! As someone who married into a family from the Caribbean, sometimes items such as toys are much cheaper here so I have many family members who will stock up when they come, especially since they are not sure when they will be able to come back! You cannot just assume that the family brought all those toys to entertain the child on the flight! I usually do not reply to these types of articles, but stop and think before you go and write an article about a situation you obviously know nothing about!

Samara Nathe November 27, 2010, 5:52 AM

I generally do not post in Blogs but your blog forced me to, amazing work.. beautiful

Ryann Lazarte November 28, 2010, 8:48 AM

I hope you have a nice day! Very good article, well written and very thought out. I am looking forward to reading more of your posts in the future.

mcdonalds monopoly November 29, 2010, 5:47 AM

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in composing this article. I am going for the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your fanciful writing abilities has prompted me to start my own blog now. Actually the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a fine example of it.

burgerking nutrition December 1, 2010, 9:48 AM

Hello.I am well into a boring sunday thanks for giving something to think about.This is a great story got me thinking,Thanks!.

mcdonalds nutrition December 4, 2010, 3:32 AM

I know it sounds crazy but this reminded me of Abraham Lincoln’s: “Everybody likes a compliment.”

mcdonalds menu December 10, 2010, 6:07 AM

What I dont understand is how youre not even more popular than you are now. Youre just so intelligent. You know so much about this subject, made me think about it from so many different angles. Its like people arent interested unless it has something to do with Lady Gaga! Your stuffs great. Keep it up!

Shad Guzman December 13, 2010, 11:15 PM

This weblog seems to recieve a good ammount of visitors. How do you get traffic to it? It gives a nice unique twist on things. I guess having something real or substantial to give info on is the most important factor.

salle de reception January 4, 2011, 4:18 PM

WONDERFUL Post.thanks for share..more wait .. ;)…

Baby Gender Prediction January 4, 2011, 8:29 PM

thumb, sir.

Popular Coupons January 6, 2011, 6:16 PM

Thank you so much, I spent 30 minutes trying to figure this out. Thank you again!

high heels January 7, 2011, 4:31 AM

Another day another awesomely written article, thank you for putting in the time!

miami vacation rentals January 8, 2011, 12:48 PM

[…] 1] The bad news is, the Basin Complex fire in Big Sur is still burning and only 3% contained. The good news is, no inns, restaurants or attractions have […]

seotons January 8, 2011, 1:27 PM

Your place is valueble for me. Thanks!…

seotons January 10, 2011, 10:01 AM

Cheers for this posting, guys, retain up the fantastic operate…