Plane and Simple

I had the opportunity to spend some time in the Miami airport yesterday, and I saw something that disturbed me.

woman carrying boxes of toys on plane

Brett Berk: No, it was not the extra-large chili cheese fries at the Nathan's Hot Dog stand, which come with a tiny pitchfork with which one is supposed to stab and slurp at them. And it was not the crappy public art atrium, which was filled with high school kids' lame drawings of palm trees and tropical fish. It was a bag. Not just any bag, but a large, clear plastic shopping bag that hung by its handles from the back of the stroller in which a young kid was being pushed toward the boarding line by his mother.

I wasn't worried about suffocation or consumerism or anything dangerous like that. No, the bag agitated me because it was literally filled to the brim with a wide and colorful variety of toys. Now no one wants to be that parent that's known as a killjoy, where the only "toys" in their playroom are a deck of cards and a chessboard. At the same time, there's such a thing as having too much stuff. Young kids are only capable of comparing a finite number of choices: two is optimal; three is pushing it. So when they're confronted with a bag-full, their processing system short-circuits, and they have a difficult time focusing and making effective choices.

I could readily imagine the long plane ride this family (and their fellow passengers) was in for, in which the well-intentioned (but severely misguided) parents would present one option after another -- car, doll, squoosh-ball, flashcard, drum, gun, ice cream maker, underpants bomb -- in their attempt to placate their fussy child, and the kid -- like a coke addict chasing that initial high -- used up each in increasingly rapid succession. There was no doubt that a tantrum would ensue.

So what to do instead? Well, first off, obviously limit your choices to a container that will fit in the overhead bin or the seat in front of you: these are shared spaces. Second, pick things that can be used multiple times -- we all know how kids love the word "again" -- or in multiple ways: a book, a couple handfuls of Legos, a box of crayons, and a pad of paper. Third, shy away from anything that has as one of its express purposes the making of noise -- this will likely only annoy other people.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, keep the number of options to a minimum. There is no way you can solve for every situation or need your child will confront on a plane ride, and often the more problems you try to plan for, the more you create (and the more you create an expectation that you'll be the person responsible for solving every one, which only reinforces the issue). One of the express goals in traveling (and in life) is to help your child to learn to happily enjoy and partake of what is present and available. The Sky Mall magazine makes an endlessly fascinating source for invented narratives. Air sickness bags can easily be decorated and transformed into puppets (and there's one in every seat) for fun performances.

And, though I'm usually too busy writing up a column like this to take note, the stuff passing outside the plane's windows is often pretty damn cool. So stop packing as though you've just mugged Santa, and help your kid (and yourself) live where you're at, wherever in the air that might be.

next: Recession Mama's New Year's Advice
chilli poker March 17, 2011, 7:50 PM

Tremendous-Duper site! I’m loving it!! Will come back once more - taking you feeds also, Thanks.

forum backlinks March 21, 2011, 6:22 AM

This article is kinda of hard to follow, but Harry’s comment cleared it up a little bit for me.

Alveo March 21, 2011, 2:23 PM

Thank You For This Post, was added to my bookmarks.

internet marketing tools March 23, 2011, 4:01 AM

Nice recommendation and very true. One of the vital necessary things bloggers, or any business, can do is strive to not give up. Even when instances are robust it’s important to be there to your readers and customers as a result they are going to remember you in a optimistic mild quickly as things get better and may be rewarded in your efforts.

dansko clogs March 24, 2011, 12:15 AM

Is there any way that I can join this author’s fan club? Someone please e-mail me if you know how.

poker online win money March 24, 2011, 6:02 PM

might one hundred% on the money! Most people I see view things within the quick run and attempt to take every opportunity to promote or hype themselves as a substitute of constructing credibility by way of serving to others achieve their goals.

samochody do slubu March 26, 2011, 8:25 PM

I’ve read several good stuff here. Definitely worth bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how much effort you put to create such a magnificent informative website.

play bingo March 27, 2011, 6:52 AM

There may be noticeably a bundle to know about this. I assume you made sure nice factors in features also.

how to lose 10 pounds 2 weeks March 27, 2011, 5:42 PM

I really wanted to write a simple remark to express gratitude to you for some of the fantastic tricks you are placing on this site. My time intensive internet lookup has at the end of the day been recognized with pleasant details to exchange with my colleagues. I ‘d say that we visitors actually are unquestionably lucky to be in a fine place with so many wonderful individuals with valuable hints. I feel quite blessed to have used your web pages and look forward to tons of more excellent times reading here. Thank you once again for everything.

bingo online March 28, 2011, 1:41 AM

Spot on with this write-up, I really suppose this website needs way more consideration. I’ll probably be again to read much more, thanks for that info.

interview questions jobs March 31, 2011, 5:46 PM

Hi, you have got an stunning post here. Make sure you preserve on posting. I have subscribed to this.

best online poker us March 31, 2011, 9:30 PM

Nice post! GA can be my biggest earning. However, it’s no longer a much.

teacher job interview questions April 2, 2011, 11:44 AM

Took me awhile to browse all the comments, but I very enjoyed the article. It proved to become exceptionally helpful to me and I’m positive to many of the commenters here! It’s typically great once you can’t only be informed, but additionally engaged! I am positive you had fun producing this article.

Gadget News April 3, 2011, 12:12 AM

You are my inhalation , I possess few web logs and rarely run out from to post : (.

samochod do slubu April 3, 2011, 2:11 AM

We’re a group of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community. Your web site offered us with valuable info to work on. You’ve done an impressive job and our whole community will be thankful to you.

auto do slubu April 3, 2011, 3:31 PM

You could definitely see your expertise in the work you write. The world hopes for more passionate writers like you who are not afraid to say how they believe. Always follow your heart.

phlebotomy certification April 4, 2011, 4:51 PM

Rattling great information can be found on site .

auto do slubu April 4, 2011, 7:55 PM

Terrific work! This is the type of info that should be shared around the internet. Shame on Google for not positioning this post higher! Come on over and visit my website . Thanks =)

casno April 4, 2011, 10:19 PM

beautiful comments

auto do slubu April 5, 2011, 5:23 AM

Wonderful goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely wonderful. I actually like what you’ve acquired here, certainly like what you are stating and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still take care of to keep it sensible. I can’t wait to read much more from you. This is really a terrific web site.