Postpartum Depression -- in Men?!

On paper, Sam Roweis had it all -- a great new job in an amazing new city, a brilliant professional reputation in computer science, and a young set of twins. Yet he plunged to his death from the 16th floor balcony of his New York City apartment earlier this week, to the shock and dismay of his friends and colleagues.

sad man

Vivian Manning-Schaffel: According to an article in The National Post, Roweis and his wife, Meredith Goldwasser, had been enduring some tough times while caring for their newborn twins, a boy and a girl born prematurely a year ago. Neighbors say Roweis and his wife had been fighting incessantly, and he must have jumped during a lull in an argument.

We know that postpartum depression can cause suicidal behavior in new mothers. But could Roweis have been a victim of male postpartum depression? Dr. Michelle Golland, clinical psychologist and momlogic contributor, says yes, and it has a name. It's called Paternal Postnatal Depression and, according to studies, it affects more than 1,000 men per day.

"Interestingly, men's hormones change both during and after a pregnancy. Their testosterone levels go down and their estrogen levels go up. We don't really know why the hormones shift in men, but researchers speculate it is nature's way of helping men bond with the baby, and it helps them be less aggressive at a critical time in the mother's and child's life," says Dr. Golland. "Fathers can also experience negative emotions toward the baby, similar to mothers with PPD. They may want to get out of the house and feel very disconnected from the child."

She feels, in Roweis's case, that he may have faced "a tragic 'perfect storm' of emotional factors contributing to his feelings of depression, helplessness, and hopelessness. This was a couple coping with ill twins, marital stress, a new job, and a new city in the time leading up to his suicide."

A source cited in the New York Daily News says that Roweis, a brilliant NYU professor, seemed like an upbeat guy. We'll never know if Roweis ever considered getting help, but Dr. Golland says that men sometimes avoid seeking mental health services because they feel it's "going out of their comfort zone in regards to how to cope with stress in their life."

That said, Dr. Golland says it's imperative we learn to recognize depression and anxiety issues in our husbands and partners, and encourage them to get the help they need.

Keep on the lookout for these symptoms and risk factors of male PPD:

• Men with a history of depression
  • Wife is diagnosed with postpartum depression
  • Lack of support
  • Sick or challenging baby
  • Financial concerns and pressure.

The more people are aware of male PPD, the more depressed dads will get the help they need to get through it. Spread the word!

next: Kids Reenact MTV's 'Jersey Shore'
seal beach vacation rentals January 8, 2011, 12:20 PM

KV: Have you contacted the Audubon Canyon Ranch? Im not sure theyre set up for catering, but its in a gorgeous spot. What about Olema Druids Hall? They have a big backyard. And then theres the park itself. Not sure what the policy of the parks service is on private functions, but you might check on it. Otherwise, consider the Marin Headlands. I went to a great wedding on Rodeo Beach; the reception was in one of those nearby rickety old wooden military buildings. Casual, fun, festive, and earthy. Not sure who youd call, but start with the Headlands Center for the Arts, and ask them who rents out those buildings. (Phew! My years as a luxury-hotel concierge continue to pay off) JV

Ten Tees January 9, 2011, 11:46 AM

Interesting article! Enjoyable reading. I’ve got a observation to submit about tee shirts.

Me English no good, but had to say me like what you say. Thank you from Panama.

Sakarya Firat 50. Bolum Fragmani izle January 11, 2011, 11:32 AM

Sakarya fırat gerçekten tertemiz bir dizi. Sakarya fırat 50. bölüm fragmanını yayınlarken bahsetmek istedim. Bu devirde böyle et pazarlığı yapmadan bir yerlere gelebilen diziler az. Sakarya fırat 50. bölüm fragmanıda böyle nadir dizilerden birtanesi. Değer bilmek lazım buyrun sizi sakarya fırat 50. bölüm fragmanı ile başbaşa bırakıyorum.

aydin January 14, 2011, 8:48 AM

Between me and my husband we’ve owned more MP3 players over the years than I can count, including Sansas, iRivers, iPods (classic & touch), the Ibiza Rhapsody, etc. But, the last few years I’ve settled down to one line of players. Why? Because I was happy to discover how well-designed and fun to use the underappreciated (and widely mocked) Zunes are.

casa gala panama January 14, 2011, 3:27 PM

Kudos from one brainiac to another. :)

Fragmani izle January 15, 2011, 8:16 AM

Fragman tek kelime söylüyorum mükemmel.

sukubidu oyunlari January 15, 2011, 1:00 PM

Çocuklar en güzel sukubidu oyunları burada. Çeşitli sukubidu oyunlarını oynamak için hemen sitemizi ziyaret edin.

nem alma cihazi January 16, 2011, 5:01 AM

Dietas Saludables January 16, 2011, 8:47 AM

Kudos from one brain to another. :)

kilo verme January 17, 2011, 11:33 AM

Kilo vermek için ne yapmam gerekir? Yemek yemekten kaçınırsam kilo verebilir miyim? Bay ve bayanlar için Bitkisel yöntemlerle sağlıklı hızlı doğal zayıflama kilo verme yağ yakma yolları kiloazaltma.com

squamous cell cancer January 19, 2011, 3:34 AM

Squamous cell skin cancer is the most second kind of carcinoma in the world.

Ukash January 21, 2011, 3:05 AM

Superukash Türkiye %100 Yasal hem ucuz hem guvenli Ukash Kart satışı yapmaktadır. Ucuz ukash, ukash, ukash al, ukash destek.

zayıflama January 23, 2011, 9:59 AM

Hotels in Panama January 25, 2011, 1:07 PM

It is nice to definitely turn up a site where the blogger is polished. Thanks for creating your website.

Hotels Panama January 27, 2011, 3:56 PM

I usually don’t normally post on many Blogs, yet I just has to say thank you for Postpartum Depression — in Men?! | momlogic.com… keep up the amazing work. Ok unfortunately its time to get to school.

alquilerdeautos January 31, 2011, 10:22 AM

Me sorry for my english not so well, but me think that you are write too pointe.

Hotel Veneto Panama February 1, 2011, 7:02 PM

You can tally me in for a Digg. Thanks for posting this on your SEO website, it has been very imformative…and thats from a Harvard student! :)

escort bayanlar February 2, 2011, 4:36 PM

Size çok özel dakikalar yaşatacak olan escort bayanlarımıza sadece bir tık uzaktasınız.

videoturk February 7, 2011, 5:55 PM

Hi, I agree that this is really a great post, the number of comments is incredible.