Postpartum Depression -- in Men?!

On paper, Sam Roweis had it all -- a great new job in an amazing new city, a brilliant professional reputation in computer science, and a young set of twins. Yet he plunged to his death from the 16th floor balcony of his New York City apartment earlier this week, to the shock and dismay of his friends and colleagues.

sad man

Vivian Manning-Schaffel: According to an article in The National Post, Roweis and his wife, Meredith Goldwasser, had been enduring some tough times while caring for their newborn twins, a boy and a girl born prematurely a year ago. Neighbors say Roweis and his wife had been fighting incessantly, and he must have jumped during a lull in an argument.

We know that postpartum depression can cause suicidal behavior in new mothers. But could Roweis have been a victim of male postpartum depression? Dr. Michelle Golland, clinical psychologist and momlogic contributor, says yes, and it has a name. It's called Paternal Postnatal Depression and, according to studies, it affects more than 1,000 men per day.

"Interestingly, men's hormones change both during and after a pregnancy. Their testosterone levels go down and their estrogen levels go up. We don't really know why the hormones shift in men, but researchers speculate it is nature's way of helping men bond with the baby, and it helps them be less aggressive at a critical time in the mother's and child's life," says Dr. Golland. "Fathers can also experience negative emotions toward the baby, similar to mothers with PPD. They may want to get out of the house and feel very disconnected from the child."

She feels, in Roweis's case, that he may have faced "a tragic 'perfect storm' of emotional factors contributing to his feelings of depression, helplessness, and hopelessness. This was a couple coping with ill twins, marital stress, a new job, and a new city in the time leading up to his suicide."

A source cited in the New York Daily News says that Roweis, a brilliant NYU professor, seemed like an upbeat guy. We'll never know if Roweis ever considered getting help, but Dr. Golland says that men sometimes avoid seeking mental health services because they feel it's "going out of their comfort zone in regards to how to cope with stress in their life."

That said, Dr. Golland says it's imperative we learn to recognize depression and anxiety issues in our husbands and partners, and encourage them to get the help they need.

Keep on the lookout for these symptoms and risk factors of male PPD:

• Men with a history of depression
  • Wife is diagnosed with postpartum depression
  • Lack of support
  • Sick or challenging baby
  • Financial concerns and pressure.

The more people are aware of male PPD, the more depressed dads will get the help they need to get through it. Spread the word!

next: Kids Reenact MTV's 'Jersey Shore'
Cinderella Follette March 5, 2011, 9:37 AM

Hi does this web site have an RSS feed? I’ve simply gotten a ipad and I’ve been attempting to get it operating all day. generally when the page masses it half masses up and the “flash icon” just keeps spinning and spinning. can anyone facilitate me with this? Please

Stephen Kromm March 5, 2011, 2:42 PM

Are u trying to seek out the best possible food stuff of the globe Get a subway menu immediately

dizi izle March 6, 2011, 9:54 AM

There are some interesting points in time in this article but I don’t know if I see all of them center to heart. There is some validity but I will take hold opinion until I look into it further. Good article , thanks and we want more! Added to FeedBurner as well

Mose Romm March 7, 2011, 9:33 AM

How is it that just anybody will write a web site and acquire as common as this? Its not like youve said anything incredibly impressive –more like youve painted a pretty picture over an issue that you know nothing about I don’t wish to sound mean, here. however does one really suppose that you simply will escape with adding some pretty pictures and not very say anything?

Brittney Cockerill March 7, 2011, 2:51 PM

Greeting from Japan :D I like your website, very much.

Cynthia Sinkey March 8, 2011, 5:02 PM

I have beeing scouring the google for this information and simply needed to thank you for the post. BTW, just off topic, how can I get a copy of this theme? – Thanks

radyo dinle March 9, 2011, 2:20 AM

Can I just say what a relief to find someone who actually knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More people need to read this and understand this side of the stor. I cant believe youre not more popular because you definitely have the gift.

radyo dinle March 9, 2011, 5:08 AM

Quentin Rhinehart March 9, 2011, 9:07 AM

Greeting from Japan :D i favor your website, very much.

shopping offers March 9, 2011, 12:23 PM

I really must say thank you for giving me something to escape projects. Well, back to work for me. Thanks!

Raye Gramling March 9, 2011, 1:02 PM

Please never let your opinions and Insightful knowldge be squelched, shaped, or distorted. the knowledge you provided here notwithstanding its complexity or simplicity has made a major impact on my epistemological groundwork and can not be forgotten. Livestrong blogger

turizm firsatlari March 9, 2011, 1:55 PM

Oh my goodness! an amazing article dude. Thank you However I am experiencing issue with ur rss . Don’t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anyone getting identical rss problem? Anyone who knows kindly respond. Thnkx

butik otel March 9, 2011, 1:55 PM

Rusty Weigert March 9, 2011, 3:31 PM

Keep websiteing stuff like this I actually find it irresistible

univertsite ogrencisi March 9, 2011, 5:17 PM

denizli satilkik daire March 10, 2011, 9:40 AM

pimapen March 10, 2011, 1:32 PM

Effie Nygaro March 10, 2011, 5:14 PM

This brightend my day therefore can I brighten yours?

film izle March 10, 2011, 7:53 PM

Kristi Shekey March 12, 2011, 7:55 PM

can I link to your post?