Pro-Life Super Bowl Ad Causes Furor

Do you think it should air on Super Bowl Sunday?

tim and pam tebow

For many, the Super Bowl commercials are even more exciting than the actual game itself. But one ad (that reportedly cost $2.5 million to air) has many people vowing to shut off their TVs.

The controversial spot stars Tim Tebow, the famed Florida quarterback, and is sponsored by the conservative Christian group Focus on the Family. They say it's a pro-family spot with Tim and his mom, Pam, sharing their pro-life views. She ignored a doctor's advice to have an abortion after falling sick during a trip to the Philippines, and the son she gave birth to was Tim.

Do the abortion debate and Sunday football mix? Many say NO.

"An ad that uses sports to divide rather than to unite has no place in the biggest national sports event of the year -- an event designed to bring Americans together," said Jehmu Greene, speaking for a coalition of women who oppose the ad.

But Tebow defends his ad: "I know some people won't agree with it, but I think they can at least respect that I stand up for what I believe," Tebow said.

Whether you are pro-life or pro-choice, it just doesn't seem like this is the right time or the place to air an ad like this.

Do YOU think this commercial should air during the Super Bowl? Why or why not?

next: 'American Idol' Contestant's Mother Vanishes
Dan January 26, 2010, 5:23 PM

What’s wrong with a commercial expressing an option trying to influence others. In this case, the idea of not ending the life of a child. - We all should be for that. Let’s face it, most abortions are because the child is perceived to be too inconvenient.

Please ask women to give their child up for adoption. Thousands of couples wait 2 - 7 years to adopt a baby.

beckie January 26, 2010, 5:43 PM

Why not have it show? It has a great message. If you don’t agree with it, oh well. I don’t agree with all the beer commercials but I’m not asking them to be taken off the air.

Rachel January 26, 2010, 6:18 PM

“An event designed to bring Americans together.” ?! Are you kidding me? It’s a competition - people on two different sides. Quite a stretch here, momlogic.

Wendi January 26, 2010, 6:45 PM

Yes it should be aired. There really is no reason for it not to. Lots of people who don’t drink watch the superbowl, yet that is most of the commercials shown. If this one commercial causes people to not tune in, so what! They are the ones with the problem and acting dumb.

Sean January 26, 2010, 6:59 PM

The Super Bowl is neither the place nor the time for the extremely sensitive topic of abortion rights. I’m trying to have a Super Bowl party, Tim. I’m not trying to have a debate about religion in between downs.

Rachel January 26, 2010, 7:13 PM

@Sean - why is this a religious debate? That’s a pretty obtuse argument. Relgious people are not always pro-life, just as non-religious people aren’t always pro-choice.

angi January 26, 2010, 7:48 PM

I’m with beckie. There are plenty of commercials that I don’t want to see or support, why so upset about this one. If they are willing to front the ridiculous price tag for it, they should absolutely get to play it.

michelle January 26, 2010, 8:27 PM

Yeah, but if they accept this ad, then they have to take other “controversial” ads too. CBS rejected a Super Bowl ad from Moveon.org a couple years ago. Also one from PETA. Why is this ad OK if those weren’t? [And it doesn’t matter which causes you “agree” with — that is not relevant to a free speech debate.] I think the real reason for the double standard is that NFL is totally tight with the Republican party and they would have a cow if anything liberal were associated with football, even if it’s just in the same broadcast.

Sean January 26, 2010, 8:28 PM

@Rachel It’s religious because the group running the ad is a religious group. Plus, Tim Tebow wears Bible verses on his eye black; it’s religious to him. Either way, it’s an explosive issue that doesn’t fit with the spirit of the Super Bowl.

michelle January 26, 2010, 8:44 PM

And BTW Focus on the Family is a ridiculous, immoral waste of space. Get off abortion already. If these people really cared about life they would be working to make sure that children who were already born could get decent lifesaving health care. Oh, wait, that’s *communist*!

Jenn January 26, 2010, 9:30 PM

Focus on the Family is “immoral”.. huh? A group that is actually working to bring people closer together is being accused of not caring about life?

You really seem to know your stuff, Michelle. Wait, no, you actually just sound like a ranting lunatic.

Susan January 26, 2010, 9:37 PM

We will be watching the game in Antigua in the Caribbean,and most people are pro life here. The game will be the most important thing going on and the only ads we will notice are the funny ones. I think that people are making a mountain out of a molehill, just not important in the great scheme of things.

Sean January 26, 2010, 9:46 PM

Jenn, you might want to do a little more homework. It’s not all sunshine and rainbows coming from Focus on the Family. Their Wikipedia page gives a pretty good overview of the controversies they have been involved in recently. It also depends on how you define “bring people closer together.” There is no middle ground for Focus on the Family on issues.

Vanessa January 26, 2010, 10:53 PM

This is beyond ridiculous. More so because they refuse to air a commercial that counters that one.

Airing it during the Super Bowl is wrong. If you’re going to shove something in America’s face, at least let the other side tell their story too. Otherwise, don’t.

lynne January 27, 2010, 12:41 AM

there should NEVER be an ad about abortion. it’s STRICTLY a medical decision between a woman and her doctor.

Super bowl January 27, 2010, 2:24 AM

Tim has the right to do commercials, why he’s to be blamed. go ahead Tim. for SuperBowl, I already had my tix from Ticketwood.com and I’m waiting impatiently. can’t wait! oh my god!

Rachel January 27, 2010, 7:19 AM

@Sean, so if I understand you correctly, your greatest objection is that it comes from a religious group? What if a group of atheists presented the same message? Abortion is not a religious issue. It’s an ethical issue.

KARRIE January 27, 2010, 7:33 AM

If they cant air that which everybody says has nothing to do w/ FOOTBALL, then what about Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, Dorritos, Cell Phone Service, Insurance ads……..etc…………..???????

Rachel H.  January 27, 2010, 8:44 AM

@Sean Wikipedia is NOT a very good source for information, FYI. Anybody can get on there and post some crap about anything…soo try that one again. And as far as this commercial is concerned. I say go for it! What better way to express your beliefs about something and get it shared with the world than Super Bowl game day!? I think that’s why beer commercials are SOOO prevalant during this time as well. I’d MUCH rather watch someone give a testimony about there MORAL beliefs than to watch half naked/fully naked woman exploit their bodies on NATIONAL FLIPPIN TV! Why is “NOW” not upset about THAT….makes me wonder…

b January 27, 2010, 9:01 AM

Remember how Sunday used to be the Sabbath day? Remember when you couldn’t shop on Sunday because stores weren’t open and people were at church? I suppose if you want to go way back and get really stuck on semantics and what not, then the Superbowl and Sunday football first ruined a religious day of worship….I’m just sayin’.