Sexy Jeans for Babies?!

Leave it to the Gap to sexualize babies.

baby wearing jeans

Ronda Kaysen: Now moms can walk into any Baby Gap and pick up a pair of boyfriend jeans for their 2-year-old or 2-month-old daughter. Everyone knows boyfriend jeans: those loose, comfy-fitting jean every gal's got in her closet, the one that closely resembles the jeans she wore home the morning after she spent the night at her boyfriend's house. Why shouldn't a 1-year-old have her own pair of boyfriend jeans? After all, she might need a break from squeezing her chubby legs into her skinny jeans. Yes! Baby Gap sells skinny jeans for infants, too.

Gap doesn't have just one baby version of the sexy-out-on-the-town option for girls (they start at 0-3 months and continue all through childhood). They have a whole line of them, including the zippered skinny jeans that come in a range of colors, including chartreuse and orange. As for the boyfriend jeans, have no worries: there are plenty of options there too, including cropped boyfriend jeans so your preschooler can show off her new Suri Cruise stilettos when she wears them to the playground.

What is Gap thinking? Couldn't they come up with more innocuous monikers like "baggy" and "slim-fitting"? Yes, 2-year-olds might have "boyfriends" in the sandbox, but the implication that comes with the whole "boyfriend jean" concept is just gross. Really, people, we're talking sleepovers here. What does a boyfriend jean imply other than that they're the jeans you picked up the morning after you slept over at your boyfriend's house? I could go on, but I figured I'd give Gap a call first.

Olivia Doyne, a Gap spokesperson, was eager to set the record straight. "In no way were we saying that a baby would have a boyfriend," she said. The descriptors were merely meant to help moms understand what they were buying for their burgeoning fashionistas. "Because mommies do the shopping for their children," she said, using terms that women are familiar with like skinny jeans just "translates easier."

Aha! That makes a lot more sense. So I decided to take a look at the options for boys. For the male set, moms can get "black jeans," "colored jeans," "five-pocket jeans," and "rolled-up" jeans. I don't know about you, but those terms make perfect sense to me, and none of them even vaguely allude to dating and sexy night-out jeans. I imagine it would be possible for the folks at Gap to put their heads together and come up with a name that's moderately less sexualized for little girls.

But Doyne was steadfast. "It was never our intention to have any sort of sexual connotation with either of those fits," she said. Thanks for clarifying.

next: More Working Moms Are Losing Custody
ashley January 12, 2010, 4:51 AM

Anything to gripe about right??

Ash January 12, 2010, 6:07 AM

You say they are in every gals closet…well suprise a lot of those gals have kids. And I understand that Gap is keeping the name so the moms know exactly what they are getting. If you are going to complain about something make it the price of their clothing.

Shannon January 12, 2010, 7:16 AM

Omggg you are way overreacting! I think it just makes it easier to wear matching jeans with your baby girl. I love to try & wear the same color shirt as my 17 month old. One day he will probably be horrified, but as of now I’m having fun. It’s also fun if I can find matching outfits for both his Dad & him. Quit your bitching! It’s not a big deal!

Jill January 12, 2010, 7:52 AM

‘Boyfriend’ jean doesn’t have to imply a sleep over at all! I have never thought of it that way! The title on this article should change!

Sara January 12, 2010, 7:59 AM

Could that be anymore of an overreaction.

That’s what the style of the jeans are called. They don’t need to change it for babies. It’s not like they’re called spank me jeans.

And god forbid they have skinny jeans or jeans in chartruse. That’s so horrible.

I can understand a complaint about baby bikini’s (although if you look at any photo album from the 60’s you’ll see plenty of itty bitty baby clothes).

If you want to dress your child like a marshmallow, feel free, but don’t get bent out of shape because others would like their kids to dress like mini-adults

It’s adults who are scandalized and adults that have the problem with these things that are not sexual at all.

Pamala January 12, 2010, 2:26 PM

Wow! Don’t we have better things to be concerned about? I didn’t even know what the hell boyfriend jeans were, just thought they were a style. Guess you learn something new everyday.

ScoJo January 12, 2010, 7:41 PM

I thought it just meant they were the kind of jeans you’d borrow from your boyfriend. Anyway, who cares. Wearing baggy jeans isn’t “sexualizing” anyone.

Kat January 12, 2010, 7:48 PM

Are you serious? Its a style! It does not mean anything sexual they are really cool cute jeans, I want to get them for my little 1 year old. Be mad whhen they start selling g strings for babies

Anonymous January 13, 2010, 7:10 AM

This woman is CRAZY. It’s just a name of a style of jeans. She needs to get over it.

lisa January 13, 2010, 9:32 AM

This is a ridiculous article— trying to make something out of absolutely nothing.

Rita January 13, 2010, 10:48 AM

Ooooooooomg I’m wearing boot-cut jeans with a pair of heels, not boots! The shame!

Its just a nickname dear. I never thought of the term “boyfriend jeans” as something to describe the jeans u wear home on the walk of shame or whatever u wanna call it. I believe, to me and most other women out there, boyfriend jeans are just a nickname for a product.

Mariposa January 14, 2010, 9:49 AM

Language is very important. As a therapist working with children, I know that many of my very very young clients (like 9 years olds) are already sexually active. Anything that we can do as a culture to send a strong message that sexuality is not about children is not only important- it is necessary! I was in a store the other day and they had slimming jeans for my three year old. Yuck. Can’t our culture wait a few years before giving our children a complex!

Lauren January 16, 2010, 8:38 PM

They’re boyfriend jeans not walk-of-shame jeans! And I bet they are roomy enough to crawl around in and most importantly they are CUTE! But it was a cute article nonetheless.

Tif February 4, 2010, 4:33 PM

Well, I completely agree with the author. Perhaps you all should take a step back and look at how sexual our culture is, and how it relates to our children. It starts early; we wonder why our teens are getting pregnant at an alarming rate! I am not saying that we should hide all even remotely sexual thoughts, names and ideas in our media, clothing and homes, but perhaps we should cool our jets when it comes to putting our two-year-olds in skinny jeans or “boyfriend” jeans. I mean, the point of skinny jeans is to show off our sexy booties, right? (Those of us who still have sexy booties, that is.) How in the heck does that work out with a diaper anyhow? Kind of odd how all these teen moms can shop for matching jeans at the same store, not with their friends, but with their kids! I find it frightening. Whats next? Late night clubbing for babies? Suri sure has the shoes for it! Besides, the author makes a really good point that little boys’ jeans have very normal, little boy sounding descriptions. Odd.

Ashley J. May 20, 2010, 11:35 AM

really lady?!?!?! what is wrong with this world today when we complain about jeans stores sell….how bout this, if you don’t like it, don’t buy it, it’s as simple as that, I’m sure they not gone miss your purchase, and thanks, you just helped me find some skinny jeans for my baby girl! (geesh, people these days….)

Vibram Five Finger August 14, 2010, 10:18 AM

Most helpful site and information

excellent! found movie downloads September 11, 2010, 8:25 PM

You have a excellent Blog here Mate. Adore your articles or blog posts incredibly informative, Please maintain up the good work.

Shades Of Red Hair Chart November 25, 2010, 12:27 AM

I love quotations because it is a joy to find thoughts one might have, beautifully expressed with much authority by someone recognized wiser than oneself.

Amanda88 November 27, 2010, 3:05 PM

Wow these jeans are really awesome! I will definitely purchase the pair of them for my boy. The boy in the photo looks definitely sexy! Thanks for publishing such a cool article. Everything that is related to cool clothing is interesting for me. I will be waiting for more articles about it in the future too.

Grizzly H Oak Drawer Chest December 9, 2010, 12:08 PM

I guess what I’m trying to say is, I don’t think you can measure life in terms of years. I think longevity doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with happiness. I mean happiness comes from facing challenges and going out on a limb and taking risks. If you’re not willing to take a risk for something you really care about, you might as well be dead.