Teacher Suspended Over Stripper Photo

Is this okay?

male stripper

Momlogic's Julie: A Pennsylvania teacher has been suspended for 30 days after someone posted pictures on Facebook of her with a male stripper at a pal's bridal shower.

The teacher was fully clothed, and was in the background when the pictures were taken, according to WTAE.

I feel suspending a good teacher over something this trivial is just unfair. Are teachers not allowed to have lives?

It reminds me of Ashley Payne, the teacher who got fired after posting pictures of herself on Facebook drinking wine on vacation.

Outrageous!

But, once again, this serves as a warning: Be careful what you or your friends post on Facebook. You never know if it's going to come back to haunt you.

next: 300 Lb. Woman Sat on Boyfriend and Killed Him
Anonymous January 22, 2010, 1:40 PM

Teacher’s need their escapes more than anyone. If you heard the chit chat that goes on in some teacher’s lounges, 70% or more of teachers would be suspended for cursing, admitting they drink, and just general venting. Teacher’s are human beings not saints. As long as they are professional in the classroom that should be what they are judged on.

Jocelyn  January 22, 2010, 1:53 PM

I think that this is absolutely ridiculous! What she does in her “spare time” as long as it doesn’t involve the kids is her personal business. However, if she befriends her students and co-workers then she must understand that these things can be looked at in a different light.

'Nuff Said January 22, 2010, 2:39 PM

OK, so it’s not alright for teachers to be adults and do adult stuff because they’re going to be bad influences? 1)Teachers aren’t paid enough (that should be enough!) to be saints off the clock, 2)they’re not doing anything illegal, and 3)it’s not like other people in their lives don’t have a sip of wine or have some other normal, adult vice. I think this is all just the product of a culture too eager to pick out individuals as “inappropriate” or “out of the norm” to assert that there is a clear line between acceptable and obscene, which doesn’t exist. And now I’m lecturing …

liz January 22, 2010, 2:39 PM

i am a teacher, and i think this is totally rediculous. we do have lives outside of the school building. what has this world come to?

bladerunner January 22, 2010, 3:01 PM

Is anyone else frightened by a supposed teacher who thinks this is “rediculous”?

Though I do think it’s inappropriate to punish a teacher for actions beyond her control (i.e. the posting by someone else of pictures). What she does on private time is her business. Better be a 30 day paid suspension that doesn’t eat up PTO, otherwise she should be involving her union!

Anonymous January 22, 2010, 3:53 PM

I’m only frightened that a teacher (and yes I am one) spelled ridiculous wrong on a public forum. ha ha

But back to the topic:
This reminds me of a modern day witch hunt.

SUE sie Q January 22, 2010, 6:09 PM

How dare they suspend her for what she does in her personal time. She could be a stripper herself posing naked for the matter, as long as she is professional at the job she was hired for she can do whatever she wants on HER TIME. She better sue some since into those people to remind them that she is a professional teacher, not a slave. Make an example of these junk brains who have the audacity to try and control or alter her personal lifestyle outside of work.

j a n January 22, 2010, 7:16 PM

The wrongest part about this is that she didn’t post the picture herself. Worst case - there’s no way anyone can be responsible for old “friends” posting pictures of our activities from days gone by. We can/should all be careful about what we post, but we really can’t be held responsible for what others post about us.

Chrissy January 23, 2010, 10:28 PM

What’s the likehood now that someone, a strudent or parent who doesn’t like a teacher and photoshop a picture put it on the internet so that particular teacher they didn’t like will get fired?

michelle January 24, 2010, 7:24 PM

No, the warning I took from this case is not that teachers should “be careful what friends post on Facebook.” How can anyone control that? The real warning is that in this country, school districts are focused on EVERYTHING EXCEPT EDUCATION.

Anna January 25, 2010, 8:55 AM

If she posted it herself I would probably be ok with her sentence. I strongly feel teachers need to be good examples for children. Since she had no control over what some friend posted I don’t think she should get in any trouble over it. If I really wanted to I could get incriminating pictures of anyone and post them online it doesn’t matter how good of a person you are. Basically, my problem would be if they would actually openly post and associate with that picture not the fact that they had a little adult fun.

nanar January 26, 2010, 3:52 AM

Please. I am a 55 year old grandmother of 5. I am a faithful church attender and MAYBE i might want to talk to her about how this might appear to her students if they saw it on facebook (which she did not do). But she is an American (home of the free). LOL It wasn’t like she was hanging on to him. I hope she had a good time and get her back in school.