Teen Facebook Addicts Hit the Dislike Button

Would you do the same?

teen girl using computer

Vivian Manning-Schaffel: With some 350 million members around the globe, Facebook has got to be one of the most addictive applications on the 'net.

Case in point: In just writing this post, I think I logged onto the damn thing about five times.

And like any bona fide addiction, it's hard to quit Facebook without some form of rehab. This recent article in The New York Times says that teens are now banding together to wean themselves off of Facebook because it easily lures them away from studies and college applications.

For example, two of the teen girls interviewed in the piece, Halley Lamberson, 17, and Monica Reed, 16, are holding each others' hands through the process.

"We decided we spent way too much time obsessing over Facebook and it would be better if we took a break from it," Halley said.

Now they only let themselves log on the first Saturday of every month. That's it! Another girl in the article spoke about giving up Facebook for lent. All the interviewees seem to have the maturity and wherewithal to recognize how much time Facebook took away from their studies and their 3D social lives.

An expert interviewed in the article, psychologist Kimberly Young, director of the Center for Internet Addiction Recovery in Bradford, Pa., agreed that Facebook can become a for-real addiction.

"It's like any other addiction," Dr. Young told The New York Times. "It's hard to wean yourself."

Apparently, as teens begin to log off their Facebook accounts, just as many are logging on. The article cites a Nielsen study confirming Facebooking among teens is still on the rise. As recently as October, more than half of the teens in the U.S. were on Facebook, up from just over 28% last year.

Frankly, I was distracted enough in high school as it was. I don't know how in blazes I would've gotten anything done had there been such a thing as Facebook when I was a teen.

What say you, moms of teens? Wish there were a 10-step program to wean your kid off of Facebook? And what about yourself?

next: Millennium Moms
rugbymom January 3, 2010, 6:34 AM

Good for them. Not sure I could do it! ;-) I’m totally addicted. I do test myself and am currently trying to limit my FB time to weekends… and here I sit!

Shannon January 3, 2010, 11:30 AM

Good for them! I’m addicted to not only facebook, but myspace too! Then again I am a stay at home mom to 17 month old & it is how I update friends/family on my growing lil boy. Plus I can always look back on my old post/blogs to update my sons baby book. I documented my whole pregnancy & the 1st few months through my blog on myspace. PS I’m also obsessed with farmville, but I only play that when my son is down for the night.

chromer January 3, 2010, 12:18 PM

If you are addicted to facebook or myspace or tweeter, consider suicidemachine.org as it will permanently erradicate your online life on those sites.

Jenny January 4, 2010, 10:27 AM

I’m addicted too. I tried to delete my account once and could only figure out how to deactivate it. Once it was deactivated my dad complained (I’m 31 by the way) about my not have a facebook account because he liked to check in on my updates lol

Lobstar321 May 7, 2010, 8:44 PM

Facebook is like crack, and my mom spends about 7 hours and 45 minutes of every day on facebook. the other hours of which she spends 13 sleeping and 3 hours and 15 minutes doing laundry and buying food. I swear this is true

busana muslim January 16, 2011, 4:47 AM

I must admit that this is one great insight. It surely gives a company the opportunity to get in on the ground floor and really take part in creating something special and tailored to their needs.

helloh January 19, 2011, 2:59 AM

I retributory couldn’t tell your website before language that I rattling equal this article. there’s a righteous risk to receive a perfect thought in your noesis. the degree info you act to your visitors
love poems

hoolsale45 January 29, 2011, 7:14 AM

Excellent post.I want to thank you for this informative read, I really appreciate sharing this great post. Keep up your work.
birthday wishes

Courtney Baff March 27, 2011, 10:31 AM

That’s an interesting point of view, I am not certain I concur.

Amanda April 10, 2011, 1:41 AM

I really do wish there was some sort of rehab for teens who are addicted to facebook. I have two twin 14 year old sisters who are so obsessed with facebook that they throw fits of depression when their comments arent liked enough. And expecially when they can not get online to check their profile. I do not know what to do. I feel as if facebook is taking time out from the real world for them. They never want to go anywhere or leave the house because it does not have interent connection. I also feel facebook is contributing to their illiteracy…they now seem to have forgotten to wrie proper sentences. The homework they hand in is half done because they do it last minute because all theyre time is spent on facebook and the quality of the work is suffering.